Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

My Wife's Airtrek Turbo upgrade path

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Wife's Airtrek Turbo upgrade path

Hello to all, I'm fairly new to the Mitsubishi world, and I would like to know what you guys would consider as proper mods for a Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo R.

I've been into cars since long before I met my wife, and fortunately I've been blessed with the fact that she has developed a similar enjoyment on this hobby. I used to have a Celica All Trac when we met. I then moved to a Nissan S13 with CA18DET, which I still have, and last year I bought a Honda S2000 as my daily driver. My wife always wanted to own a fast SUV, and when we had the opportunity we jumped on a 2002 JDM Airtrek Turbo R; her other car is a 2013 ASX (Outlander Sport), so you can tell she is quite the Mitsubishi fan.

Last weekend we both participated in some local drag races, and she enjoyed it a lot! So we are planning to mildly upgrade the Airtrek to improve the overall performance.

Drag Wars feb 28 2015 by CamsX200, on Flickr

Drag Wars feb 28 2015 by CamsX200, on Flickr

Our local mechanic is an Evolution guru, and he has the only other Airtrek JDM in the country (we live in Panama), so he is very knowledgeable about it. The most immediate plan is to increase the boost to 16-17~psi and have him remap the ecu with ECUFlash.

We know the Airtrek is not the best platform to work with in terms of hp to weight ratio, and not wanting to go all out, a full engine swap is currently out of the question. Another issue is that my wife is not that comfortable driving a manual transmission.

The car has no other upgrades than a K&N filter and the stock solenoid bypassed, therefore it is currently boosting 10 psi.

Some of my ideas were, replace cat for a high flow one, change wheels from 16" to 17" and get some evo brakes up front, and maybe a turbo/intercooler upgrade in the future.

What do you think?

Last edited by SX200; Mar 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quite Awesome! I love it! I think some folks swap Evo 7 auto into them. Wish we had those here in the States. I drive a 04 Outlander for a daily, 04 evo for fun. I recently bought front evo calipers.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
damn it..
Why couldn't Mitsu put a Turbo in the Outlander Sport!!!?? (even after all these years, since 2010...)

It's insane to have that option in what looks like a station wagon but not the O.Sport, I'm sorry.. But I just had to rant a bit.

Awesome that your wife enjoys this hobby & wanting/allowing for some More performance.

Looking forward to more pics and future mods that's going into your Airtrek!
Keep us posted!

I Sub'd
Old Apr 7, 2015, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any progress?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello. Yes, after setting boost to 16.5psi and a mild street Ecuflash tune we were able to achieve a very respectable 15.85s on our best run of the weekend. Ran 6 passes, 3 in the low 16s and 3 in the high 15s. I believe we were in the low 17s before this.

In the next couple of weeks we will have some Evo 8 Camshafts installed, an Evo 8 Megan Test Pipe adapted and fitted, and maybe a locally fabricated Catback/Muffler bit to remove the stock silencer. All this to get ready for the next race, scheduled for May 16. Our target is consistent low 15s runs.

Here are some videos of the Airtrek runs, all driven by my Wife.

Same run, 2 angles:

Cheers!

P.S.: Agree on the lack of interesting, powerful (and affordable) SUVs/Crossovers like the Airtrek. Nissan Juke Nismo is very appealing as such. Porsches, Mercedes and Audis are just too expensive to be attractive as a Tuner project.

Last edited by SX200; Apr 8, 2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SX200
Hello. Yes, after setting boost to 16.5psi and a mild street Ecuflash tune we were able to achieve a very respectable 15.85s on our best run of the weekend. Ran 6 passes, 3 in the low 16s and 3 in the high 15s. I believe we were in the low 17s before this.

In the next couple of weeks we will have some Evo 8 Camshafts installed, an Evo 8 Megan Test Pipe adapted and fitted, and maybe a locally fabricated Catback/Muffler bit to remove the stock silencer. All this to get ready for the next race, scheduled for May 16. Our target is consistent low 15s runs.

Here are some videos of the Airtrek runs, all driven by my Wife.

Same run, 2 angles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7SpNYHQUrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0z5hYz90w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYJYXF8psYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDByZZLJDA

Cheers!

P.S.: Agree on the lack of interesting, powerful (and affordable) SUVs/Crossovers like the Airtrek. Nissan Juke Nismo is very appealing as such. Porsches, Mercedes and Audis are just too expensive to be attractive as a Tuner project.
I have seen these in the 12's with relatively low power. Good luck