Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

1998 rvr auto ecu tuning.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 rvr auto ecu tuning.

Hi I have a 1998 RVR auto and wish to tweak the tune of the ECU. The ECU has four plugs with an embedded transmission controller.

From my investigations it has two 7202f chips inside which I believe are flash programable one for the engine and one for the trans I suspect?.

I can't seem to find much info on programming this ECU but I believe I can most likely read and write with an Openport 2.0 cable but I will need an xml to suit the ECU.

The ECU looks like it has two extra spots for two extra injectors and possibly is specific to a few models of car maybe an Airtrek or Pajero.

I'm wondering if I cant find an xml or any info would I possibly be able to fit some other ECU like an auto Airtrek 2001 as it is a supported ECU and replace my computer.

is there any resources or info that I can have a read about this car and possible ecu programming or swap that will hopefully not require repining or rewiring the ecu?

The ECU has MD352554 on the sticker on the lid

Last edited by professor_jonny; May 21, 2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Add ECU code for search purposes
Old Jan 16, 2020, 08:36 PM

Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Does your RVR have a typical Evo 2ltr and 5spd tiptronic auto box like an Airtrek and GTA ?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by GTA.RS
Does your RVR have a typical Evo 2ltr and 5spd tiptronic auto box like an Airtrek and GTA ?
It has a 4g63 turbo config based off the evo5 engine it just has milder cams smaller turbo, smaller throttle body, smaller injectors and a top mount intercooler .
It is fitted with a 4 speed auto gearbox.

Plans are to upgrade it with the stock EVO 5 bolt on components ie :manifold, turbo, throttle body, intercooler and then give it a tune, there is a lot of people that have upgraded stock components and are selling them off on auction sites and parts are cheap it is just the tuning that is holding me back.

in the current config it is about 50hp I believe less than a evo5 and could be a cheap upgrade if I can tune the ECU.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

An Airtrek or GTA or Evo 9 GT Wagon ecu controls a 5spd auto tho. So that's not going to work with your 4spd auto.
So I don't have a bin and xml for you sorry. Unless you put a beefed up Airtrek auto box in it.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 01:11 AM

I'm thinking i may be able to replace the ecu with that of a E38A/E39A lancer vr-4 ecu as they came with a 4g63t with a 4 speed auto. as i dont know of any other apart from a chariot.

it does look like the airtrek and evo7 gta have the same four plugs with three rows of pins as my ecu.

Last edited by professor_jonny; Jan 29, 2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Had a think. Could use an Airtrek or GTA ecu
Just need to remap the auto 5th to not engage until say 10k
Then it will only be a 4spd
Old May 16, 2020, 04:13 AM

IT seems the 1998 magna TF has a very similar ECU (MD360208)
https://modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=970

The 98-99 3.5L Pajero and Montero sport look rather similar also (MD357516)
http://www.4x4extremesports.com/inde...rt_ecu_ecm.php

Both these ECU'S look very simular in design but have extra hardware for the 2 extra injectors on the PCB that is un populated on my ECU.

All these ECU's start with MD35 or MD36 on the sticker on the lid.

it also seems to be in the 1998 v6 6g72 Delica van 1998 also with md35 in the part number (MD356418)

Last edited by professor_jonny; Jun 27, 2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 20, 2020, 04:58 PM

I have found a little bit more about the hardware design of the ECU and the integration of the transmission control into the same case of the ECU.
This setup seems to be in cars manufactured from 1997 and older than 2001 I believe.
It seems the ECU and TCU are some what separate entities within the same enclosure you are able to read and write both processor ROM's independently but not both at the same time.

The two main H8 processers are programmed by the same OBD port and the selection of the chip is done by asserting different pins on the flash connector that turns the selected chip into boot mode for read and write access.
The Flash Harness has two wires, the pin at the end of the row is for the ECU and the pin second from the end is for the TCU.
The re-flashing connector on the OpenPort cables is only configured to access the ECU pin so to program the TCU you need to move the open port flash/ boot pin to connect with the TCU wire on the flash harness.

In the newer single processor automatic ECU's (2001 and newer Airtrek, EVO 7 GT-A etc...) the flash connector only has one pin wired to the ECU which gets access to the combined ECU/TCU ROM there is no suggestion that the RVR was ever fitted with one of these ECU's in a later model.

The earlier model RVR cars produced before 1998 have a seperate ECU and TCU the TCU is located in the kick panel behind the center console the ECU's in these cars are based off the EVO 1-3 and have an embedded eeprom some of the later 1997 cars have a ecu simular to an evo 4 and are romless.

You can log and read the ECU with an OpenPort 1.3 or 2.0 cable but writing is only supported by an OpenPort 2.0 cable as the OpenPort flash/boot pin is not able to supply enough current or voltage to change the processor in to flash/ boot mode.

Basically it looks as I can freely program the ECU without effecting the TCU section, there is possibly some contents in the ECU rom to do the switching or passthrough of the processors on the OBD port so it would be best to not go dropping in an alternate rom into the ECU but instead reprogram the stock Rom.

So hoping my cable comes soon so that I may be able to dump the ROM and start looking into xml Generation.

Last edited by professor_jonny; May 22, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 06:58 PM

So I have managed to download the rom with an openport 2.0 cable it took a few repeated attempts but completed successfully I'm assuming interference or something?)

This rom does not seem to have a compatable XML for the ROMID (21000012) file to be able to edit it, how do I create one (is there a guide) or somewhere where I can buy or get one?

Attached Files

Last edited by professor_jonny; Jun 4, 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:19 PM

So I purchased a spare ecu for my car from Russia and dumped in a evo5 stock GSR map the car starts and runs (be it a bit rough) but the gearbox seems to play up and it would make the car undrivable as it is.

It seems if the ecu's must share inputs outputs or data in some way as the gearbox does not shift gear except from drive to reverse with the ecu rom upgrade.
I have not flashed or altered or the gearbox rom in any way on the ecu.

The neutral lamp starts flashing when you move the car and it seems to be stuck in third gear regardless of speed or the action of the tripronic gear change.
I have read that the neutral lamp flashing is equivalent to the check engine light for the gearbox and it indicates the the gearbox is in limp mode.

Is there a way to retrieve the fault code from the gearbox as it does not seem to show up with EvoScan like with ECU fault codes.

Aircon, ABS, cooling fans etc.... all seem to still operate just the gearbox seems to have issues.

I'm a bit reluctant to do any more testing in case it slams a solenoid on in reverse or something when driving and stuffs my gearbox but I believe limp mode is designed to avoid this.

I'm not getting any fault codes in EcuScan and I guess my only option is to create an xml to suit my ECU?

Last edited by professor_jonny; Nov 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: update info on limp mode
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I see you have the green orange and blue plugs on your ecu. You can probably take any black plastic box ecu from a car with a 4spd auto and plug it in and it should work. I looked at ecu pin outs of many Mitsubishi cars like, Evo, Lancer, Galant, Outlander and the 5spd Auto cars share the same pin outs and 4spd auto cars share the same pin outs. This means you can take a 4spd automatic Lancer ecu and modify the maps and plug it into your harness and it should work. I am using a 2004 Lancer ecu in my outlander. The Lancer ecu was flashed with turbo maps using a tactrix cable.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by apoopoo999
I see you have the green orange and blue plugs on your ecu. You can probably take any black plastic box ecu from a car with a 4spd auto and plug it in and it should work. I looked at ecu pin outs of many Mitsubishi cars like, Evo, Lancer, Galant, Outlander and the 5spd Auto cars share the same pin outs and 4spd auto cars share the same pin outs. This means you can take a 4spd automatic Lancer ecu and modify the maps and plug it into your harness and it should work. I am using a 2004 Lancer ecu in my outlander. The Lancer ecu was flashed with turbo maps using a tactrix cable.
I don't believe there is any other turbo vehicle fitted with a 4 speed auto that would just plugin. all the lancer cars except for the ex and the evolution series are all non turbo as far as I am aware, also I have a tunable ECU just no XML to make use of it but it would be nice if I could put in a Ceddy rom or evo5/6 as ultimately it would be a more mature xml than possibly any of the other vehicles.