Notices

Outlander Coilovers on Outlander Sport?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlander Coilovers on Outlander Sport?

I've been looking at the Kido coils and it says it also fits various Outlander models. I looked up on KYB's website and sure enough Outlander Sport and Outlander for the 2007-2013 generation share strut isolators, same part numbers. So coils for a 2013 outlander would bolt into a 2013 outlander sport up top. Visually they look the same at the bottom.

My sister has a previous gen outlander, Ill see if I can get her to let me pull the suspension. Definitely more digging should be done.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like a big task, but for what advantage?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:50 AM

Well, one advantage would be to confirm if Outlander coil overs work on Outlander Sports. I know a lot of other members have posted info on this topic since I've been gone, but I first got here when the suspension was still very new and there was no option to lower at all. H&R made lowering springs for Outlanders, but they couldn't fit Outlander Sports because the diameter for the rear strut housing is smaller on the OS... at least this is what was last speculated. Then there were reports that Lancer non-evo coilovers would work, but only certain brands. A lot of confusing info and unanswered questions. Anyone willing to turn the uncertain into the known will clear up what is cross compatible and not cross compatible to expand modding potential if the info is shared with the community. That knowledge is a great gain!

Last edited by MDOS-87; Dec 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDOS-87
Well, one advantage would be to confirm if Outlander coil overs work on Outlander Sports. I know a lot of other members have posted info on this topic since I've been gone, but I first got here when the suspension was still very new and there was no option to lower at all. H&R made lowering springs for Outlanders, but they couldn't fit Outlander Sports because the diameter for the rear strut housing is smaller on the OS... at least this is what was last speculated. Then there were reports that Lancer non-evo coilovers would work, but only certain brands. A lot of confusing info and unanswered questions. Anyone willing to turn the uncertain into the known will clear up what is cross compatible and not cross compatible to expand modding potential if the info is shared with the community. That knowledge is a great gain!

this info is incorrect, I have a set of H&R lowering springs for the Outlander Sport, you just have to know where to look I guess... it took me a while to find them but the chassis code does match up and they are made for the ASX. I ordered them from Germany for around $360.00. They are currently for sale, because Ernie gave me a deal I could not pass up on his Kido Coil overs.
this is the link to the lowering spring:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ng-spring.html
Old Dec 29, 2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
this info is incorrect, I have a set of H&R lowering springs for the Outlander Sport, you just have to know where to look I guess... it took me a while to find them but the chassis code does match up and they are made for the ASX. I ordered them from Germany for around $360.00. They are currently for sale, because Ernie gave me a deal I could not pass up on his Kido Coil overs.
this is the link to the lowering spring:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ng-spring.html
Yes parts made for the outlander sport are going to fit the outlander sport.
What I was saying, the springs made specifically for the larger, non-identical rear suspension **Outlander** weren't cross compatible because the spring diameter was too large to fit into the strut housing. This info was made known because someone actually tried to install **Outlander** springs onto an Outlander Sport, so now we have the knowledge that it won't work, the benefit of testing and tearing things apart. Not too long after this was done, H&R started putting notes that the **Outlander** springs won't work on Outlander Sports. Outlander and Outlander Sport springs are two different part numbers which further explains that the two aren't cross compatible.

Last edited by MDOS-87; Dec 29, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

yep that's why they are posting the chassis codes now so there is no confusion, GA0 is the ASX RVR outlander Sport chassis code, GAW are not compatible, and that is why people were made at ROAD RACE ENG. for a bit because the lowering spring were labeled " H&R OUTLANDER sport lowering spring" with no chassis code, instead for how they have it now as OUTLANDER lowering springs sport version chassis code GAW, "will not fit sport models"
Old Jan 14, 2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
yep that's why they are posting the chassis codes now so there is no confusion, GA0 is the ASX RVR outlander Sport chassis code, GAW are not compatible, and that is why people were made at ROAD RACE ENG. for a bit because the lowering spring were labeled " H&R OUTLANDER sport lowering spring" with no chassis code, instead for how they have it now as OUTLANDER lowering springs sport version chassis code GAW, "will not fit sport models"
See I was looking and saw several more reputable brands making coilovers for outlanders.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 08:21 AM

Made a little discovery related to this thread again, the Airtrek Turbo R rear lower control arms are somewhere in the vicinity of 1~2 inches lower ride height with. The shock bottom mounting hole is not only lower on them, but the outer bearing is higher up than the majority of other arms for the Airtrek and Outlander first gen, meaning you'd be able to get further lowering by simply using OEM+ parts 🎉. I will be getting some myself when I finally get around to ordering myself some KW V2 coilovers (expensive but obviously it's KW so it's good quality and even comes with TÜV paperwork for those that need it)
The following users liked this post:
MITSIBUSHU (Jan 12, 2024)