Notices

Air Intake & Upper Strut Bar

Old Oct 27, 2018, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by vaccarg
I was able to look at an Outlander's strut bar and all the measurements are the same for the OS. Its a perfect fit, in case anyone wants to go OEM
I can verify the above information. I have pulled a front strut bar from a 2011 Outlander V6 at my favorite junk yard. Apparently, the 2nd generation Outlanders came with front upper strut bars by default (at least until 2011) People in the Outlander forum refer to some cost cutting omission of this item in the last year of the 2nd generation. My OS/RVR is a 2012 model so I had to grind the black rings (from 2013 this piece is missing) in one corner each to accommodate the Outlander's strut bar. There is no flexing element (the item is rigid) and it is asymmetric with respect to the tree bolts (unlike the one pictured for Ralliart in post # 35 last picture or the one posted by the OP in this thread), see the attached picture of an Outlander engine bay.

. It is also slightly arching upward in the center but fits under the hood. The car definitely became more responsive and the steering got also heavier. I welcome the former but I am not fond of the latter.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Landshark
wondering the same ... 2015 OS 2.4GT ... same strut bar fitment as previous OS's?
@ Landshark
I have to figure out how to post the pics on here, but the strut bar came yesterday and it fit.
I honestly thought I would notice a small difference, and maybe convince myself it was worth the $80 (for the Megan Racing Front Strut), but damn was that worth it.
I wont say the difference is night and day, but maybe noon and dusk, lol.
It definitely tightened up the handling and steering. Before I liked being IN the OS better than my Lancer, but like driving the lancer a lot more, but just adding that front strut alleviated the rolly feeling and looser steering I didn't care for. I was excited to drive to work this morning, lol.
Definitely getting another bar for the lancer now!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmm3NpNC

Last edited by MitsuMyopic; Oct 30, 2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old Oct 30, 2018, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuMyopic
@ Landshark
I have to figure out how to post the pics on here, but the strut bar came yesterday and it fit.
I honestly thought I would notice a small difference, and maybe convince myself it was worth the $80 (for the Megan Racing Front Strut), but damn was that worth it.
I wont say the difference is night and day, but maybe noon and dusk, lol.
It definitely tightened up the handling and steering. Before I liked being IN the OS better than my Lancer, but like driving the lancer a lot more, but just adding that front strut alleviated the rolly feeling and looser steering I didn't care for. I was excited to drive to work this morning, lol.
Definitely getting another bar for the lancer now!
Thanks for letting me know! OS is my wife's, but i tend to drive it a decent amount because my car is a gas hog. LOL
i doubt she'll notice any difference, but the strut bar and Rockford Fosgate system are for me.

edit: ordered one ... anybody remember the torque spec on the strut tower bolts so i don't have to look it up later .... ?

Last edited by Landshark; Oct 30, 2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Since I just did install a strut bar over the weekend I remember the torque spec: 33 lb ft (45 Nm).

You most likely do not have the ring (labeled in the attached picture as item #5). In my 2012 I had to trim that piece in one third of the ring to make the Outlander's strut bar to fit as the ring is not flat. I was skeptical about the positive effects of the upper strut bar but now I am a convert. My wife noticed the change, so do not underestimate your significant other.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Since I just did install a strut bar over the weekend I remember the torque spec: 33 lb ft (45 Nm).
thank-you!

My wife noticed the change, so do not underestimate your significant other.
i don't think she drives fast enough or enthusiastically enough to possibly notice any performance difference. we'll see ....
Old Oct 30, 2018, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
thank-you!

i don't think she drives fast enough or enthusiastically enough to possibly notice any performance difference. we'll see ....
You are welcome.
Our roads are not smooth enough not to notice the difference even at slow speeds. When the cabin is still cold in frigid mornings the occasional popping sound of the hard plastic dashboard elements when hitting potholes and going through uneven surfaces has been completely eliminated. This benefit alone is enough for me to keep the bar.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 07:29 AM

You are welcome.
Our roads are not smooth enough not to notice the difference even at slow speeds. When the cabin is still cold in frigid mornings the occasional popping sound of the hard plastic dashboard elements when hitting potholes and going through uneven surfaces has been completely eliminated. This benefit alone is enough for me to keep the bar.
I wasn't sure I would notice a difference either, but I immediately noticed a big difference. Thanks for the info on the toque spec too. I'm not just a newbie to the forum, but also to doing ANYTHING under the hood other than changing oil, fluids, batteries etc, gonna have to check and make sure mine is right as well.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

This thread is also worth a look for different versions and installation concerns/ideas.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 09:56 AM

This thread is also worth a look for different versions and installation concerns/ideas.
Cool man, thanks. All I know is I saw that this worked for people, and I was on it, lol. I am blown away with what people are doing to these, and the DIY creativity. It definitely inspired me!!

As far as the strut bar though, for me, the difference is between liking driving the OS, and loving driving the OS.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Few pictures of my install (Relevant to 2011-2012 OS/RVR)

The following users liked this post:
sepumanpr (Apr 7, 2020)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

got my Megan Racing strut bar yesterday, and installed it today. very easy install, then i detailed the engine bay.

was pleasantly surprised that the ends were a gunmetal grey (her car is Mercury Gray) .... wasn't sure if i was gonna get light blue or some other color i would have to paint, but glad i don't have to deal with that.

haven't driven it yet, looking forward to that later ....
The following users liked this post:
sepumanpr (Apr 7, 2020)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:00 AM

My Lancer is Mercury Gray, I love that color. The only one I like more is the (not sure of official name) the dark grey