Notices

New INJEN Short Ram Intake for Outlander Sport/RVR 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New INJEN Short Ram Intake for Outlander Sport/RVR 2.0L

I just went and checked INJEN's webite and the have a "NEW" Short Ram Intake for the Outlander Sport / RVR. I just wanted to let everyone know. As well, it appears to be the same one as the 2008+ Lancer 2.0L. Model number: SP1832BLK (Black) SP1832P (Polished) with the X-1013 Filter just listed under the Outlander Sport / RVR. If this is the case and this Injen SRI fits our SRI as well as the GReddy and the Takeda fit it is possible that the majority of the intakes for the 2.0L Lancers fit our rig.

http://www.injen.com/search.asp?stop...=302&Eng=4Cyl.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:40 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Someone here has a Takeda installed. He said he encountered a few issues, and said he was going to do a write-up on the install, but never did. Hopefully he's just been busy and will do it soon.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been debating on ordering the black one. I will have to look at the greddy though. The takeda one looks great but I have heard of issues with it maybe they have been corrected by now.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Did that guy ever post up pictures of the INJEN CAI he installed?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Someone here has a Takeda installed. He said he encountered a few issues, and said he was going to do a write-up on the install, but never did. Hopefully he's just been busy and will do it soon.
I've got the Takeda intake for the Lancer installed on my 2013 recently. I had no trouble at all. The pics are in my build thread.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:33 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Fail on my part, I was thinking of the Injen CAI

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ion-parts.html

Although I do also like the Takeda. I like that it has a heat shield.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:14 PM

Injen CAI

New User here, created profile to state:

Have just recently installed Injen CAI on my 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0 AWD and I do have an issue. Would like to know own if anyone else has experienced this issue and how they resolved it.

Before I installed the Injen CAI, I was averaging 24-26mpg according to my HUD. After the Injen CAI install, I am now averaging 12-14mpg according my HUD. Is this due to mass airflow causing more fuel to be dumped into motor? Is this due to on board computer not reading data correctly now? Am I still averaging 24-26mpg and the computer is miscalculating?

Any advice?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by theory4chaos

Have just recently installed Injen CAI ...
that doesn't look like a "CAI" - it looks like a "hot air intake".

you're probably sucking in hot air from the engine bay, and losing power, too.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
New User here, created profile to state:

Have just recently installed Injen CAI on my 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0 AWD and I do have an issue. Would like to know own if anyone else has experienced this issue and how they resolved it.

Before I installed the Injen CAI, I was averaging 24-26mpg according to my HUD. After the Injen CAI install, I am now averaging 12-14mpg according my HUD. Is this due to mass airflow causing more fuel to be dumped into motor? Is this due to on board computer not reading data correctly now? Am I still averaging 24-26mpg and the computer is miscalculating?

Any advice?
Use the old and trusted way to calculate your mpg. Fill the tank completely, drive say 100 miles and fill it up again and just calculate your true consumption.
Does your install look like the one in this thread?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ai-sp1835.html.
If not and your filter is in the engine bay then as Landshark said the engine is likely breathing hot air and your mod is counterproductive. If so, you still can have not one but two problems. If Mentor is in Ohio, I suspect you get a lot of precipitation and the filter can be obstructed by the sucked in water. Also, as you have a CVT the air filter in front of the CVT oil cooler reduces its efficiency. Additionally, the filter may not fit beyond the bumper as per the post in the provided link. What is puzzling is that if your consumption is so bad or you have filter obstruction you should have received DTC codes P0101 or P0102 (related to mass airflow sensor readings).
Could you provide a photo of your install and be more specific, which intake you have?
Something, like the one shown in the attached image may not be the best install.
Attached Thumbnails New INJEN Short Ram Intake for Outlander Sport/RVR 2.0L-bad-cai-intall.jpg  

Last edited by AWCAWD; Nov 23, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:28 AM

Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
This is not a cold air intake, it is rather a short ram intake and yes, your engine is breathing warm air.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:59 AM

Understood. I'm assuming my best bet then would be to just reinstall my OEM intake and call this a loss?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Oem intake with drop in and ra snorkel will outperform that intake stock, and also when tuned. Yes oem is the best bet
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:45 PM

Ok, thank you all very much. I've learned from this: leave my car as it was when I bought it.

On a totally unrelated note, how do I go about selling this Injen air intake? I have no use for it I suppose. Literally only a day old.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok, thank you all very much. I've learned from this: leave my car as it was when I bought it.

On a totally unrelated note, how do I go about selling this Injen air intake? I have no use for it I suppose. Literally only a day old.

sell in Lancer "For Sale" forum?

some mods are good, some bad, some just useless - you need to research a bit before dropping the coin. was considering intakes for my G37 ... after some research, i found that they don't add much hp (a small amount), the front bumper needs to be removed to install them and remove them for cleaning, and they are $400+ (dual setup).

in the end, i decided that it wasn't worth the small gain vs. price, and the hassle. the factory filters are ridiculously easy to access, so i bought some dry reusable drop-in filters and saved a bunch of money and headaches. the only thing i'm missing are the cool "whooshing" sounds.

some cars are easy and cheap to mod, some cost more and give you little - Evo makes big gains per dollar vs WRX/STI where you get less bang for your buck. what works great on some cars is crap on others. sorry for rambling, coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Quick Reply: New INJEN Short Ram Intake for Outlander Sport/RVR 2.0L