Notices

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just joined up, seems like a great place

I’ve been looking at SUV’s mainly VW Tiguans until I realised I could get a much better spec for my budget going with an ASX. Value for money on the initial purchase along with running costs, the ASX seems to blow the Tiguan right out of the water – just boils down to badge snobbery I guess, the Tiguan does seem to hold its value.

I’ve always been a fan of Japanese cars so didn’t really fancy going down the VAG route deep down anyway.

I went to test drive an ASX last weekend at our local dealers, they only had the 1.6 petrol and although the drive was nice it was nothing to write home about. So have decided to go for the 1.8 diesel subject to a test drive in two weeks.

I’m looking at 2012/2013 model ASX 4 4WD ideally, I like the fact that you can switch between 2wd and 4wd. I assume in 2wd the mpg is more or less the same as the 2wd model?

I suspect I will have to wait until March when the new model comes out and when people trade up to get one I’m happy with.

Bit of a petrol head and not one to keep my cars standard. I’m planning to install the eibach pro kit and change the wheels.

Current stable includes the following:

1991 Honda CR-X, which I had imported from Japan back in 1998 completely standard. I’ve practically grown up with it over the past 16yrs! This has been modified considerably over the years, from standard 160bhp to currently 334bhp in a car that weighs 1010KG, half the weight of an ASX.

This only gets used a few times in the summer now, want to start using it for track and more drag racing.

2007 Mazda RX-8, the practical family car. Got this new in 2007, has depreciation is diabolical but such a rewarding drive and can’t see myself selling it. Again this didn’t stay standard for long....

2001 Yaris T-Sport, the current school run car that the ASX will be replacing.

The weekday journey is going to be a round trip of 5-6miles, however should be doing between 20-40miles over the weekend, so hopefully my choice of a diesel will be ok as I would prefer the extra torque especially on the motorway when overtaking. I travel to Oxford once a month so it will also see a round trip of 200miles where I can really give it some beans.

Anyway hope to be driving one of these in the next couple of months, stay tuned for the little changes I plan for it
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:42 AM
mgb
Evolving Member

Welcome to the forum mate,

1.6 petrol or 1.8 diesel are the options in the UK? We only have a 2.0 petrol here and it feels under-powered. I'd love to have a diesel option here and think you'll be happy with it.

Until not too long ago I was an RX8 owner too and as such completely understand the depreciation haha!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:50 AM

Yes the options until this year was a 1.6 petrol or 1.8 turbo diesel. Now they have also introduced a 2.2 diesel I believe.

Less said about the RX8 depreciation the better lol, still doesn't take away from how the car handles and that's enough for me to hold onto it for now
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:00 AM
mgb
Evolving Member

Ha yeah, funnily enough it was the depreciation which nearly had me provide full justification in keeping it. When my wife then started asking about my MG it was easier to let go of. Only a baby arriving sealed it's fate.

I sold mine to a friend and it's as good as new, I think the depreciation is just down to how thirsty a rotary is, it's a wonderful machine.

Diesels are slowly catching on here, a combination of the cost of petrol plus the added cost of a diesel engine has meant they haven't spread like they have in the UK and beyond.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome G4.
Good to have some folks from across the pond.
Glad to hear you've decided to give the Mitsu's a spin... Those Tiguans have a bit more horse power on us, but to get the same amount of amendities would run you close to £29,758.00
compared to an ASX @ £23,899.00 w/4WD, Leather, turbo diesel!

Keep us posted!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 02:46 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

Not too fussed about the power as this will mainly be the practical car. The 1.8tdi should have enough grunt, if not I'm sure there are way to get more out of it further down the line
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to the club!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the board. You definitely have a diverse taste of automobiles. Look forward to seeing what your next project will bring.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:46 AM

Thanks guys, have a test drive booked this Sat in a 1.8 diesel, it's a Black Edition in unfortunately white. It ticks all the boxes apart from the colour!

Not sure if you guys also got the black edition, but here are a couple of pics...

Old Feb 17, 2014, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the forum!