Notices

outlander sport factory radio sub install

Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb outlander sport factory radio sub install

i am trying to add a bit of kick and sound to my 2014 OS i have the es cvt version and comes with a very crappy sound for those planing on upgrading their head unit hear out some of my tips.
first of all do not ever unplug the battery from car. i know everywhere you go the first step is to unplug the battery to work on the car safely but with this car if you remove the battery the auto windows will not work now for some you may think that this is nothing but to fix this issue you will need to take it to the dealership to reprogram them. another tip is do not at any point turn the car on wile any of the cables are unplugged i did this mistake wile testing the speakers the car gave air bag service error codes now even if you resolved the issue the code stay and that's another trip to the dealer to clear the code now my car is in warranty i played dome and they cleared it at no charge.
what i found. the front console is very easy to take apart for those who want to remove it with out braking any plastics all you will need is a flat head screw driver.
from the bottom of the radio above the air controls there will be to very thin gaps that can be used to pry open the console bit by bit to not brake or cause scratches.
sorry i for the links i was not able to load the pictures just links
http://tinypic.com/r/maf3w2/8
http://tinypic.com/r/25zj85s/8
then here are the connectors for the radio.
http://tinypic.com/r/ip5dhf/8
http://tinypic.com/r/20j9yh/8
http://tinypic.com/r/9sz56w/8

for those who keep stating that they have the stock 6 speaker system this is a lie
here are the side moldings where the tweeters are supposed to be.
http://tinypic.com/r/2pq8kkx/8
nothing but the wire.
http://tinypic.com/r/mb3i3r/8
i tested the cable is atleast pluged to the sterio.
im going to upgrade the two front speakers to component speakers and ill be retro fitting decent tweeters in the two rear speakers will be 3 way co speakers.
i did not take pictures off the stock speakers it was to dark at night i almost threw them in the trash and if your planing on upgrading yo may do the same just picture a paper disposable plate with a tiny 2 inch magnet with no metal all plastic its about 30 w and 4 ohms.
will post pictures when i upgrade those. now i have the 2014 new radio i am not a fan of the 7 inch display and rather keep my factory look and sounds i get when my door is opened pluss my warranty will not cover electrical if i upgrade. maybe in a few years .
to run the power cable i will be drilling a hole next to the hose for the rear winshield wiper its at the bottom of glove copartment you will need to remove the cover its being hold up by two plastic clips.
it will be the only black rubber hose passing the fire wall if you have a 6g or smaller cable to run you may be able to fit it next to the hose im going to use a 4g wire so i must drill but theres plenty of clearance.
this will be my end resolt of the set up not i have a 2000w amp lanzar that if i may say works realy nice for my old car never overheated never gave me any issue or distortion now keep in mind my set up is on a buget and i am not looking to blow the streets but if i may say if i push this up to its max is good to impress.
http://tinypic.com/r/km106/8
i like the fact i still have space in my trunk i just need a place to hide my amp if you guys have any ideas let me know it does not fit under the seats and i plan on keeping my spare tire. my only idea is to get a trunk cover the one that sits ontop and just screwing the amp there.

let me know what you guys think and if any question about the install let me know.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also lost the auto power windows but found a way to program it back myself. It's really simple, you just have to manipulate the switch a certain way. I learned it somewhere online and did it while driving so it can't be that hard.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by half3vil View Post
i like the fact i still have space in my trunk i just need a place to hide my amp if you guys have any ideas let me know it does not fit under the seats and i plan on keeping my spare tire. my only idea is to get a trunk cover the one that sits ontop and just screwing the amp there.

let me know what you guys think and if any question about the install let me know.
Two options:
1. Build a side-mount against the rear wheel well for your amp, or
2. Mount it to the hatch door. (it'll be more work to route the power & signal cables there, but it would be completely out of the way of the hatch area.)
Old May 4, 2015, 10:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was installing a sub in my 2015 OS and i got the airbag service message. Is this a dealer only fix? The only thing I did is that when I took out the head unit cover I had to unplugged the airbag warning light plug form the cover. Then I had to move the car befor it started raining an turned it on with that unplugged. Is the dealer going to charge me and ask a lot of questions. I am also worried about the warranty. Any information
Old May 5, 2015, 06:54 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Liked 55 Times in 52 Posts
^--- tell them you took it to an aftermarket car audio installation place and they said you had to take it to the dealer to get the code cleared.

On a side note, you installed an aftermarket head unit I take it? What installation kit did you use if any?
Old May 5, 2015, 09:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
migs647 - Thank you for your reply. It took them not even ten minutes to reset the message. They were busy so they didn't care and just asked me if I disconected the battery. I told them yes. So they just reset it without checking. I didn't change the head unit. I installed an Alpine (PWE-S8) compact power subwoofer. It sounds great. I have the 6 speaker system which sounded good but lacked bass. I pulled the head unit out to try to find the speaker wires and see which color wires I needed to hook it up to. Also to see if there was an RCA plug I could use for the connection. There isn't. If you need more info let me know
Old May 22, 2015, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wiring diagram

Hey ya'll I am trying to hook a sub up to my 15 Outlander Sport but I am stuck because I can't find a guide for the wiring to the radio. I am using a line out converter to run RCAs and want to hook it up at the factory head unit but can't do so until I can find a diagram or someone that can help me out with it. I haven't installed one since I was like 17 so it's a bit different with all the new technology lol

Thanks
Old May 22, 2015, 09:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jnoel0384 I'll check at work on Tuesday If I have one I will post a picture of the wiring diagram . I will also check with my friends at the local stereo shop . They will give me links to a website that will have it .
Old May 22, 2015, 10:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T15OutlandersportSport that would be great!!! I have searched all over the Internet to find a lot of useless info. I didn't think about it being hard to find wiring diagrams on a brand new car.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jnoel0384 I should have asked what radio you have , I'm guessing that you have the touch screen without navi . and without the built in sub
Old May 23, 2015, 04:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jnoel0384. I installed a few weeks ago an Alpine enclosed powered sub. It sounds great. I kept the factory head untit without NAV system and hooked it up to the front passenger speaker wires and put it under the passenger seat. Did not use RCA. If you want I can send you a pic of the speaker wires and explain what I did.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry I should have included radio type. Mine is just a plain CD player head unit no touch screen and no Rockford sound system. RJRUIZ08 I would be interested in seeing how you hooked it up. I have a separate amp and sub. I know I can use the high level input to connect the amplifier straight to the speaker wires but I have always used line out converter on factory head units to get the low level input. I was always told you get better bass that way???? But like I said I'm still interested I just wanna get the darn thing thumpin lol its all just sitting in my garage taunting me when I look at it haha I'm trying to get the nostalgia of being young again lol. Thanks for all the help guys and quick responses
Old May 23, 2015, 06:50 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok. My sub can be connected to either hi or low output. Anyways. This is what I did. I took off the 3 plastic covers by the door frame passengers side. I took the door panel off and looked at the speaker wires. You wont have to take the door panel out since I am giving you the picture. In the picture attached are the wires that come from the speaker to the head unit. Yellow and baige. Those wires hook into the plug in the picture and at the rear of the plug they change colors going to the head unit. They are red and green. The red is positive and the green negative. I spliced them and hooked my sub wires to them. From there I found a + power wire to power the sub and hooked up the ground to the bolt that holds the passenger seat to the chassis. I did everything so that the wires were hidden and not showing anywhere. I put everything back together and it is working great. By hooking it that way my powered sub turns itsel on when younturn thebradio on and dont have to have separate switches. It gets the signal from the speaker wires. By the way. Do notnunplug anything; i.e battery, plugs anything from the factory system or you will end up as I and some people have, with an airbag service message and then you will have to take it to the dealer to reset. Let me know if you cant see the picture. Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails outlander sport factory radio sub install-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post: rjruiz8
jllmoe (Apr 18, 2018)
Old May 23, 2015, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rjruiz8 View Post
Do notnunplug anything; i.e battery, plugs anything from the factory system or you will end up as I and some people have, with an airbag service message and then you will have to take it to the dealer to reset.
this is ridiculous. i would rather take a trip to the dealer than risk damaging some electrical components, though.

so if i want to clean my battery terminals, i'm getting an airbag warning light? WTF, Mitsubishi??????
Old May 23, 2015, 07:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Landshark. It is ridiculous. I agree. But it is a fact. disconnect the battery and it looses power so when you connect it again, you will get warning messages. Know by experience. Take it to the dealer if you dont want the hassle. But expect to drop your pants at the register. If not. Keep what you have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: outlander sport factory radio sub install

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.