Notices

KIDO Racing Coilovers...lowering our OS/RVR/ASX confirmed.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KIDO Racing Coilovers...lowering our OS/RVR/ASX confirmed.

Well, after researching for a year, reading a good amount of threads here, I finally buckled down and asked for the Kido Racing coilovers for Valentine's Day.

I highly considered going air ride, talking with friends who have airbags on their respective rides, and even considered locating the compressor and hardware forward the engine bay, to keep the trunk space free. I've talked with reps from AirLift and AccuAir and was still not convinced after weighing out my options.

I refused to cut or heat the springs as I come from the lowrider world in the early 90's, and have seen a good amount of bad mishaps happen to cars when lowered in that fashion. Considering my wife drives Dory more than I do, it wasn't even a consideration. Not to mention, I'm not cutting springs on a $20,000 when there are other options.

When it came down to it, the research I did with Kido Racing was worth taking a shot.

So today, I found time to install the setup, and must say, it's very easy(if you have experience with doing suspension work before.) Installing the front did not have any surprises, and the Kido Racing coilover setup is a perfect application with no kind of fabrication. The rear was even easier in that you only have to take the false floor surrounding the spare tire to obtain the bolts holding the struts in from the interior. You do not have to take the subwoofer or any of the side panels off in the trunk.

I do not plan on autocrossing, nor even racing Dory, in that I already have a DSM for that purpose. With that said, I can't honestly give an opinion in the area of "competitive racing." In other words, I can't tell you if the coilover setup gives understeer, or oversteer. I can tell you, that at the softest setting, the street ride is nice and firm, so I can only imagine if I balanced out the front and rear with some added stiffness to the setting. I can also comment that on circular/cloverleaf onramps/offramps, there is much less body sway or side to side roll.

Some may justify that the front strut tower brace gives the same improvement, but that's just hard for me to believe. Then again, I opted to go with the coilover setup before a strut tower brace to give my opinion on body roll. It would be nice in the future if an aftermarket sway bar can be offered, but again, who needs it unless you'll actually be autocrossing. It was just a note I put in the back of my head when I noticed how small the sway bar was.

The quality looks and feels very nice, and definitely looks as expensive as some of the higher end coilovers in the market. Only time and mileage will tell on how truly good of a quality this setup is and worth the money. So feel free to ask any questions, as the pictures should answer it all...

Opened up the trunk this sunshiny morning...
Name:  20140302_101207_zpsyfrdlebx.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.7 KB

I started with what I thought was going to be the harder side to do first. The rear setup...
Name:  2014-03-02%2021.22.48_zpsgpdyjxwm.jpg
Size:  201.3 KB

After realizing that I didn't have to take the entire trunk apart to get to the bolts, I was good to go...
Name:  20140302_102144_zpsky6blbwv.jpg
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  20140302_105631_zpsjqchou9w.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB

Then of course came the front side, which I wish I had a scale to weigh the difference as the OEM strut was obviously heavier than the aftermarket setup. I extended the setup to try and match the OEM setup if you wanted the ride height to stay in bubba mode...

Name:  20140302_115859_zpsy8mxf58y.jpg
Size:  237.3 KB

It's somewhat hard to see, but the bottom adjustable collar on the front is black in color, where the rear is a matching blue to the locking collar. In the picture on the rear, you can see, there is still more room to go lower.
Name:  20140302_112152_zpseqzxqpxa.jpg
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  20140302_114137_zps5nwf21kq.jpg
Size:  67.2 KB

Here's a picture almost a year ago in April when we first got her...
Name:  DSCF3032_zpsc435bf59.jpg
Size:  81.7 KB

And today after I washed Dory...
Name:  20140302_172034_zpsrm3wsjeg.jpg
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2997_zps6899133d.jpg
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  20140302_172217_zpsvrp4otnq.jpg
Size:  102.4 KB

Measurement-wise, I went with a safe 5" from the bottom of the fender to the top of the center of the rim on both front and rear.

Last edited by LUNARFX; Mar 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:54 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm at 62k miles, on Chicago-land swiss-cheese roads, so I'm starting to notice my suspension is feeling a little more... soggy... than before. If/when I replace them, I'll be getting those, they look effing fantastic!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 04:59 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What was the fender to rim distance before the install? I'm curious how much of a drop it is.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

I can't believe you actually did it! Nice write up
Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Amazing write up. Glad you were one of the first to do it. truly looks great and we can only all hope it will last as good as the well known name brands as these were healthy in price.

A question about the drop. Since our OS rides higher in front from factory; and now you have it even all around. How are the ray of lights from headlights affected? Do they point more to the ground?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
I'm at 62k miles, on Chicago-land swiss-cheese roads, so I'm starting to notice my suspension is feeling a little more... soggy... than before. If/when I replace them, I'll be getting those, they look effing fantastic!
I've driven on those roads up there and don't know how you do it in Chicago(or northern states). The longer you wait, the more noticeable difference you'll feel when you do get them installed(with it getting more soggy than before.) Maybe when the time comes, you'll have more options.

I forgot to mention, I did my best for months on Ground Control last year to come up with a coilover setup(I was the first to be on their website Customer Gallery and have excellent repoir with them), and just couldn't pull it off.

What was the fender to rim distance before the install? I'm curious how much of a drop it is.
I'm at work right now, but I have it written down on a piece of paper. I had a tape measure and was measuring like crazy because I didn't want to be 1/16th of an inch off(even though it can change when I get her alighned.) I'll check back to give you numbers when I get home from Krav Maga.

Originally Posted by infected
I can't believe you actually did it! Nice write up
It's rare I get to be a guinea pig growing up, but in the last few years, I have bought things with absolutely no buyer's remorse. I can honestly say, if this thread helps an enthusiast, it makes me more reassured of my purchase.

Originally Posted by dondi0210
Very nice.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ChrisHostos
Amazing write up. Glad you were one of the first to do it. truly looks great and we can only all hope it will last as good as the well known name brands as these were healthy in price.

A question about the drop. Since our OS rides higher in front from factory; and now you have it even all around. How are the ray of lights from headlights affected? Do they point more to the ground?
Thanks Chris! You were the first to see on Instagram. Heck, I haven't even told my best friend yet. Like I mentioned, I really wish Ground Control/Eibach could have come up with a product, but just couldn't get enough of a show in demand. My wife and I are not abusive to our 's, so this coilover setup, should hopefully last a long time.

I was actually thinking about your question on the lights yesterday on the way home. Unfortunately, Dory is grounded till I get her aligned(my friend who aligns all our 's works Thursday), so we haven't driven her at night since driving her home yesterday from my other best friend's house where I did the suspension swap.

The setting we have the headlights at is "0," so I may have to turn it down to "1" or "2." Even though we live in the largest city in the USA (geographical size-wise), our neighborhood is in a very rural area, so we have the low beams aimed up as high as possible without blinding oncoming traffic. I'll let you know Thursday after we get home from our kickball league.

Last edited by LUNARFX; Mar 3, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is heart breaking! That's an entire *****' length GONE!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

The fender to rim distance in the front was 8" and in the rear was 7.75". Sorry I forgot to mention. I'll update my original post for you.

Originally Posted by Wesley Eng
This is heart breaking! That's an entire *****' length GONE!
Um...speechless?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your front end link end up attaching? I noticed in the picture the bracket on the coilover was in a different location then the OEM Strut and you hadn't bolted the endlink up yet?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CanuckLancer
Did your front end link end up attaching? I noticed in the picture the bracket on the coilover was in a different location then the OEM Strut and you hadn't bolted the endlink up yet?
Yes they did perfectly with no modifications at all.

I'm literally at the shop getting her aligned and my friend/technician said that the factory actually had the front setup for 1 degree positive camber. I had him zero it out, but figured you guys should know the OEM settings.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ok quick questions, how much did you end up paying? where did you order from? and these are the ones that are made for the RVR/ASX correct?

I have heard rumor that any evo X coilover setup will work as well as evo 7-9, if this is the case I can get these from friends very cheap.

As for the rear struts, how did you access them from inside the trunk? I have not taken them apart yet for any install.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LUNARFX
Yes they did perfectly with no modifications at all.

I'm literally at the shop getting her aligned and my friend/technician said that the factory actually had the front setup for 1 degree positive camber. I had him zero it out, but figured you guys should know the OEM settings.

Here's the entire OEM spec range for our alignments (straight from the dealership) >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...alignment.html
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SicLanEvo
ok quick questions, how much did you end up paying? where did you order from? and these are the ones that are made for the RVR/ASX correct?

I have heard rumor that any evo X coilover setup will work as well as evo 7-9, if this is the case I can get these from friends very cheap.

As for the rear struts, how did you access them from inside the trunk? I have not taken them apart yet for any install.
First sentence...I got it for Valentine's Day? Although I'm pretty sure my wife bought it from eBay since it was the only source I gave her. Considering she's a coupon queen and can find some awesome deals even in the car parts world, I wouldn't doubt it if she found it somewhere else cheaper.

I got tired of hearing rumors and reading endless threads here on lowering our rides. If that's what you heard, try it. I heard this coilover kit worked, and it did. You've been on this forum long enough to read what might work...the only way you'll find out is if you do it.

As for the rear struts, it's unbelievably easy. Lift up your mat/spare tire cover. Look for two bolts holding the struts in place, and loosen. Even if you have the Rockford Fosgate OEM subwoofer, it is not in the way. I took my spare tire and foam that holds all the accessories around it out, just because it looked too easy, but it literally took me longer to type this post than it took to find the top bolts and loosen. Have a friend help you hold the coilovers up so you can put the new bolts in from the top, or use the ol' fashion bungee cord.

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
Here's the entire OEM spec range for our alignments (straight from the dealership) >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...alignment.html
I actually remembered reading your information when my friend came back with the results. Of course my printout didn't show the OEM specs on mine. Every car is different even if it's OEM, but for a close reference, your chart would be a good tool to use. Here's her report card...

Name:  20140306_214543_zpsvthvwkry.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB
Name:  8e8c2a4f-75ec-4645-bcf3-27167614fc61_zpse5e65f2f.jpg
Size:  93.0 KB
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
^
Yeah, it's very rarely does anyone get to see the actual "Allowed" specific/variances for a particular OEM alignment setup from the manufacturer.

Especially to see all the "Before & After" info all on one page.
So, that's why I made that chart.

FANTASTIC new coilovers by the way! Love the drop!! (especially for street cruisin')

Your wife honors you very well.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 6, 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: KIDO Racing Coilovers...lowering our OS/RVR/ASX confirmed.