Notices

What did you do to/for your Outlander Sport (ASX / RVR) today?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJ9MR
Hi! Can someone please explain 'Plastidip'? I have a 2018 'Sport Limited Edition, and want to eliminate all the chrome trim pieces. I know I can get it wrapped, but that's so expensive! I understand that Plastidip can be removed. How? And, can you please recommend a good brand to use? Many THANKS!
For some good tutorials and seeing it in action check out some of these videos:
DipYourCar
Its basically a liquid rubber that you spray on, and as long as you put a thick enough coat on, once it dries, it can be peeled off. I'm doing my wheels as soon as we get another warm day in NY, gonna try my emblems this weekend for practice.

It's not for everybody, but its a nice (when done correctly) and cheap way to change the looks of your ride.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jb3rddensity
i got the tema 4x4 40mm strut spacers installed today. lovin em! also installed the 08-14 lancer megan strut tower bar. this is a 2018 sel. the 2018 strut towers do have some extra structure around the bolts closer to the firewall, so the rings of the megan tower bar deflect a little bit around that when torqued down. initial handling feels the same, so i'm thinking the tower bar nullifies any extra roll that would've come from the lift. i didn't get an alignment yet because i'm thinking of getting rims and tires soon-ish. but i'll keep u guys updated if i notice anything with mpg's and a followup on handling as i live with it more.

my tuner mechanic loves mitsubishis, especially off road

i think the back looks a lil lower in this pic because the parking lot has some slope

i'm very happy with how understated the megan bar looks. my other mitsubishi is pretty loud, i want this one to be the boring and comfy ride.
I just put that same Megan Racing bar on mine yesterday, and am loving it!!!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 07:16 AM

Added a Megan Racing Front Strut.

Last edited by MitsuMyopic; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old Oct 31, 2018, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuMyopic
For some good tutorials and seeing it in action check out some of these videos:
DipYourCar
Its basically a liquid rubber that you spray on, and as long as you put a thick enough coat on, once it dries, it can be peeled off. I'm doing my wheels as soon as we get another warm day in NY, gonna try my emblems this weekend for practice.

It's not for everybody, but its a nice (when done correctly) and cheap way to change the looks of your ride.
THANKS very much! Big help!

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:58 AM

@NJ9MR,
No problem, let us know if you wind up trying it. If i can get to my emblems this weekend, I'll throw up some picks, but also look around the forum, way more skilled people than me have done some cool plastidip projects (I didn't know anything about it until I saw people's projects on here). Also check out some plastidip fails on youtube, just to see the other side of the argument (I'm starting with my emblems to make sure I can do THAT right first, lol).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuMyopic
@NJ9MR,
No problem, let us know if you wind up trying it. If i can get to my emblems this weekend, I'll throw up some picks, but also look around the forum, way more skilled people than me have done some cool plastidip projects (I didn't know anything about it until I saw people's projects on here). Also check out some plastidip fails on youtube, just to see the other side of the argument (I'm starting with my emblems to make sure I can do THAT right first, lol).
haven't Plastidipped anything on the OS, but i did to my other car - i did the chrome strips above and below the grille and the front face of the emblem (left sides chrome). also used the Plastidip "Glossifier" on the grille strips so they had some shine and weren't a flat finish. you'll need about 4+ coats to make removal easy to where it "peels" off.

before:

after:

Old Nov 5, 2018, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
haven't Plastidipped anything on the OS, but i did to my other car - i did the chrome strips above and below the grille and the front face of the emblem (left sides chrome). also used the Plastidip "Glossifier" on the grille strips so they had some shine and weren't a flat finish. you'll need about 4+ coats to make removal easy to where it "peels" off.
The need for "Glossifier" is a really good point. I would add that it also increases the durability of the paint. The regular Plastidip has a textured surface (that is why it is matte finish since you do not get specular reflections from the surface). During cleaning a) it requires more scrubbing to remove dirt and b) it grabs more the sponge/fibers you use during cleaning. I have used it (silver + glossifier) to paint my grill surround and side mirror caps (see posts #869 and #879 in this thread for pics). I did them over three years ago and they are holding fine even in the harsh Canadian winter. One needs to be gentle during car wash nonetheless to preserve the integrity and continuity of the paint. I have also used it to repaint the rust fix I did on the tailgate (post #13 in this thread) To get a nice finish the temperature must be above 15 C (59 F) or so.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:40 AM

I wound up doing my emblems and wheels. It was probably too cold (40-45 degrees in NY, where I'm at)(wound up putting hand warmers on the cans), but I figured I'd give it a shot for $40. I did 8 coats of black and 6 of the gloss on the wheels and just 7 black for the emblems. I either didn't get the dip release off the edge of the rim or it had some moisture, so when I went to take the sidewall off it had some parts that peeled a little, but not bad for a first try. I definitely am happy with how the rest came out (maybe gloss on the emblems next time), and DEFINITELY taking the wheels off the car next time somehow, it would have been so much easier. Never had black wheels or thought they looked good, but that Octane Blue is so loud, the black looks perfect on there to me. I'm hooked! lol. Feel like I need to smoke out the Side signals, and maybe the headlights with the black across the top (not sure if thats how the light comes or just literally a black strip).

Before:

After:

Last edited by MitsuMyopic; Nov 7, 2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:56 AM

@Landshark
Nice. I love the stuff after using it, I just need more practice, and I'll start going crazy with it, lol. I want to get the alloy fuel door, and black that out, and maybe the door handles?

Last edited by MitsuMyopic; Nov 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:04 PM

@AWCAWD.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way, lol. I'm gonna leave it on since winter is about here, and then I want to redo in the spring when it's warm, with the tires off, and do the whole wheel inside and out. What I did over the weekend was a good proof of concept though. I kind of liked the textured look on the emblems, so I left it like that, but will probably do the gloss on those next time too. I was wondering about the cleaning, but I was so fixated on getting in an attempt before it got even colder and winter set in, that I didn't even think about it.
It came out better than I thought it would given the 40-45 degree temp though, big up to the mrs. for suggesting putting some extra hand warmers I had on the cans, lol. It's probably the only reason it came out decent. Plus I didn't really think about the lug nuts and inside of the wheel. It was an educational first try, I learned a lot.

Last edited by MitsuMyopic; Nov 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Acedriver97

Haven't been on here in a minute but I I've done a few more changes to Olivia so I have successfully installed EVO gsr stock springs I've debadged it and installed a universal muffer with a resignator delete.
Nice, I was looking at similar wheels without the red ring , did you do the red ring, or did they come like that?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Another heat shield gave in to rust

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
I do not wish to dominate this thread but lately the the activity of the forum has dropped so I decided to report some of the work I did recently.
I live in the rust belt and five years of such weather presented its first casualty.
I have noticed few days ago a chirping noise at idle and at low rpms.
It turned out that the welding on the heat shield designed to protect the drive shaft on the AWD models had perforated and allowed the shield to rattle. Only the AWD models are vulnerable to this. The difference between the FWD and AWD exhaust systems are displayed in the attached drawing. An image to locate this piece is also shown for reference.
I am afraid there is no pretty solution to this issue. I have used two clamps to tighten the shield to the pipe (will add pictures of my own). I am also not sure how efficient this shield is by default but I decided to keep it for now.
This time the piece just in front of the one I fixed earlier behind the catalytic converter. Similar fix with a metal hose clamp. For pictures see the original post earlier in this thread (#878)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail riding

hello all,
i’ve got a 2018 LE have some nokian snows on it so I took it trail riding

Old Jan 28, 2019, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hotrodbug
hello all,
i’ve got a 2018 LE have some nokian snows on it so I took it trail riding

How'd did it go. Having my first winter in my 2015 es 2.4, and I love it so far? It's easily as good as my 2013 lancer, but the extra clearance is even nicer
Old Jan 28, 2019, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does really well, I wouldn’t do it with the factory tires.. I’m running Nokian Nordmans for the winter, today we had about 10” of new snow and it got me to work no worries, it’s a fun trail driver to
If your looking for a really good tire for all seasons Nokian has an all season that has the severe weather symbol on them, worth a look
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...ian-wr-g3-suv/

Last edited by Hotrodbug; Jan 28, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your Outlander Sport (ASX / RVR) today?