Notices

Krakker's "Big O" Outlander mods

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So after 4+ years, the wifes 14 Outlander needed some new shoes. She was sitting pretty low on the stockers that were worn "plenty" and NOT going to survive this impending winter.
However, she really missed the rid and offroad ability of her previous Jeep. The girl just recently sold her 99 Jeep Cherokee that had lockers, gears and the whole offroad package. She ended up going with a more streetable offroad tire while going to college locally till she sold it and got her 17 Outlander sport. (She loves that outlander sport. lol) but we put some Kenda Klever tires on it that tirned out surprisingly well for an all terrain tire.
So after looking for something a lil more meaty and checking on sizes, I found that I could get the same Kenda Klever tire in a 235/60/18. So one size wider, and one size taller on the stock 18" wheel.
Got them mounted and checked for clearance and they fit. Close at the back of the wheel well at full lock, but they're on and NO issues so far. Got a nice aggressive look and the tires are really comfortable on the road. I've got a couple pics, but will upload them after I've had a chance to flex it out and see if there's any clearencing that may need done on the plastic. If anything, I may use the heat gun and just "re-mold" the section closest to the front tires. After a few pavement runs and some driveway entrances at full lock, I've found not rubbing yet.
So if anyone is looking to go aggressive with their tires, and get something durable for move up in tire size, I can tell you with confidence that going one size bigger works. If your running stock 225/55/18's you can up size to 235/60/18's. I run 245's on my 16 Outlander, but it's also on 19's and the Dunlops are Summer ONLY tires. Now I'm sure my girl will be asking for these same tires, and I gotta say, they're pretty cool, I may just consider these for my next set after my stockers get a lil worn.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
It is an interesting choice and most likely should fit and will give a unique look for sure. Few things should be considered though:
1. The 235/60/18 tire size over the stock 225/55/18 will give you 5% increase on speed with respect to the speedometer. Given that North-American regulations mandate the speedometers "to cheat" ( over-report the actual speed) you should still be fine.
2. If the rims are the same you will have 5 mm negative scrub radius, which will slightly destabilize the car during acceleration (and consequently stabilize it during breaking).This also adds some extra tension on suspension components by the generated extra torque. Even this tiny deviation from stock configuration can alter the suspension geometry. Is this significant enough to deter people to do this swap? I doubt but cannot tell for sure. 235 mm width does not give (with the stock rim) the exact replacement option (235/55/18 is the closest) 245/50/18 would as per suspension geometry. This latter option, however, would not be safe to mount on the 7" wide rim any more.
3. Your 245/45/19 tire depending on the offset and width (did not find in your Galactica thread) could be a perfect replacement. Regardless of the offset your speedometer shows the same speed as the stock would.
4. I would love to hear about the road noise with the all terrain tire. Just by changing from summer to winter tires I experience substantial increase in tire noise even with my directional winter tires. We are mandated to install winter tires here and every one in my circle claims tire noise increase by the swap on dry road. I suspect your tire noise will go up as well.
5. Fuel economy will take a hit if you go with all terrain tires. I would also like to hear your feedback on this (by how much?).
If the benefits outweigh the draw backs in your view then you will enjoy the new tires if not, you may have buyer's regret.
Thanks for sharing your experience and I commend you for taking chances and being one of the leaders in modifying stock configurations in this community.
The following users liked this post:
Krakker (Oct 27, 2018)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 27, 2018, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

So my 16 outlander and the wifes 14 Outlander both recently had their 30K trans service done. Since the service, my wifes 14 has been making this "odd" growling sound at low speeds, cornering, or flooring the throttle. I noticed it one day after I had to drive it and thought it was weird compared to my 16's sound.=left
Still noticed the sound after the newer AT tires were put on. (and I'm loving these tires so far. No noticeable difference in fuel economy at this time. the ride is actually better and the road noise doesn't seem any different than before)=left
Anyway, I still heard the same growling sound that sounded like the CVT was attempting to wind up some rubber bands. I still heard it after the new tires were put back on her vehicle. So the other day I get to the dealer (made an appointment previously) They check it out and have it fixed in an hour. Mechanic tells me that when they serviced the trans the last time, they never latched the clips back on the air box. So when the car would accelerate or the engine "twist" in the mounts under power, the plastic sections of the air box would vibrate off each other. They also said that the trans fluid was just at the lowest mark so they filled it to the max level AND even put the push clips into the snorkel of the air intake that never got put back in.
=left
Seriously????? I'm told that service tech no longer works there and they assured me that there were no contaminates that were getting past the filter. From what I could see when I opened the hood to check on it myself, they showed me how it was sitting without the clips snapped in place. Now were back to sounding like it did before with no worries that something's wrong with the CVT.=left
Super unlike me not to check on it myself, but working 7 days a week 10hr days takes it's toll. Lesson learned = even after they service the vehicle, check it out and pay attention to the noises.