Notices

Rust?! Already?!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamman
$hit mate that sucks!
Thanks but it is not a big deal and you should not worry. It will not happen to you in Arizona with the 5% humidity without snow and electrolites (salt). When I moved from Phoenix (Tempe) to Montreal everybody was amazed how rust free my that time 4 year old car was.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
haha, I just realized this thread is from 4 years ago! We are heading back to Washington state in the next few months so I am planning on getting the bottom of the car coated. Or just keep it washed regularly helps too I suppose!
Old May 8, 2018, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i washed my Evo alot in winter, but it still looked like a horror show underneath when i sold it. then i learned about Fluid Film ... wish i knew about it a long time ago.

the OS and my other car get it every fall, and they still look like new underneath. its kind of a thick, waxy substance - its penetrates the metal and doesn't trap moisture like a rubberized undercoating. i have a spray, and a gallon bucket of it that i apply with a paintbrush around areas i don't want it (rubber stuff). i do the exhaust a bit, too, even though it smells a bit for a while.

they sell it at Lowe's, Advance Auto, etc.

Old May 8, 2018, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
i washed my Evo alot in winter, but it still looked like a horror show underneath when i sold it. then i learned about Fluid Film ... wish i knew about it a long time ago.

the OS and my other car get it every fall, and they still look like new underneath. its kind of a thick, waxy substance - its penetrates the metal and doesn't trap moisture like a rubberized undercoating. i have a spray, and a gallon bucket of it that i apply with a paintbrush around areas i don't want it (rubber stuff). i do the exhaust a bit, too, even though it smells a bit for a while.

they sell it at Lowe's, Advance Auto, etc.
Based on your recommendation I have used this product as an under coat and I agree it is great. The smell is natural (since the product is lanolin-based). This product though cannot be applied on painted panels like fenders, doors, tail gates etc.
Old May 9, 2018, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Based on your recommendation I have used this product as an under coat and I agree it is great. The smell is natural (since the product is lanolin-based). This product though cannot be applied on painted panels like fenders, doors, tail gates etc.
yeah, those areas need to be protected by a good wax/sealer.

FF can be sprayed inside doors through weep holes, or rocker panels by removing plugs and spraying inside. i don't go that far, as i usually only keep a car 4-6 years.
Old May 23, 2018, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started to get a little rust on my 2014 RVR right behind the left Taillight. I took the entire light and inside panel off and used this grease (the one with the green cap) to stop the rust from progressing. I sprayed it all over the place. Good thick stuff.

Old May 23, 2018, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

The tail gate appears to be an Achilles heel of this vehicle for systematic rust developmentg. Our sister forum in Germany has also numerous entries (11 pages so far) reporting this issue (if you use Chrome it offers translation):
https://www.asx-forum.de/mitsubishi-...hmen-garantie/
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the Hatch rust on my 2012 RVR - 175,000 KM so I'm sure I'm out of any warranty period by now.

Old Jul 29, 2019, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same rust-through on the tailgate of my 2011 SE AWC, unfortunately I was well past 100k miles when it started. Lucky for me I work at a community college with a very good auto body program. $170 for paint and materials and my tailgate is completely repaired and repainted. ;^)