Notices

Strange noise coming from the rear of my 2011 Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
The same noise was recorded by one of the members of the ASX Owners Club as well.
Here is the link to the corresponding section of that forum with the recorded noise and a solution:http://ww.asxownersclub.com/forum/4-...ng-no-idea-why
Old May 6, 2015, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you solve the mystery problem of the squeaking noise you were experiencing? I just purchased a used 2013 Outlander Sport LE, with about 35K miles. Have very much the same noise, but not related to hills. Sounds just like the recordings posted in this blog.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:43 AM

Strange noise coming from rear of my Outlander sport

See my note on April 10. Was the sway bar and is solved.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:32 AM

solution inquiry

Originally Posted by jos76
I recently purchased a used 2011 Outlander Sport with 36,000 miles on it. I really like this vehicle a lot however I'm experiencing a very strange issue with it. After driving up a hill for about 1/2 mile or so I start hearing a strange squeaking/chirping noise coming from the rear of my vehicle. The noise only happens after I've been driving uphill for quite some time and hit a bump. I don't notice the noise unless I'm steering the car to the right either slightly or a lot. Once the car levels out for some time the noise goes away; I can hit all the bumps in the world and I don't hear the noise at all. I took this vehicle back to the dealer where I purchased it and they did a complete check over the vehicle and weren't able to reproduce the noise or see anything wrong with it. If anyone here has any thoughts on what could be causing this noise I'd really appreciate your input.

Here are 2 links to the noise it's making.
http://youtu.be/2yWyHLRuE34
http://youtu.be/p0YaP_uemRk
Some respondents found sway bar bushings replacement solved this problem. Was that your solution?
Old May 9, 2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by KMJA
See my note on April 10. Was the sway bar and is solved.
Wondering if jos76 found that to solve it.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 02:10 PM

Unhappy

I am very disappointed to report that the noise is back. Just happened while driving uphill in the Rocky Mountains. Although the bushings in the sway bar were replaced and I drove without noise since April, sounds were back. Any more suggestions?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Problem solved (for me)

I have tried a dozen different things and finally was able to eliminate the noise. The source of the noise was from the two clips under the rear bumper (see the red arrows in the attached image). I have replaced them with bolts and nuts and the noise has been gone for more than two weeks.
In my case the noise was only audible when the coolant temperature reached the operational temperature or rather somewhat even later. The two clips are situated just above the rear muffler and apparently this area gets heated up. The rear bumper acts as a sail and that is why the noise is noticed at higher speeds and or somewhat uneven roads.
What I suggest everyone should do, who have this problem is the following: Go behind your car and grab the lower edge of the bumper at the centerline. Yank the bumper back and forth. If you notice any movement then you might have the same problem as I had. The chamber around the rear muffler acts as an amplifier (just try to hit the top metal plate above the clips and you will hear the noise echoed and amplified).

UPDATE:
1. A photo is added showing the bolt that used to replace the clip before tightening.
2. Another RVR owner in my area did the same fix and his car also stopped making the noise. I assume then that my solution might not be unique to my car only.
Attached Thumbnails Strange noise coming from the rear of my 2011 Outlander Sport-rear-bumper-assembly.jpg   Strange noise coming from the rear of my 2011 Outlander Sport-rear_bumper_from_under.jpg  

Last edited by AWCAWD; Feb 15, 2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: UPDATE (photo and additional info)
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:37 AM

It's BACK! Anyone have updates on noises. Mitsubishi dealership most unhelpful this time. Says bushings are fine.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KMJA
It's BACK! Anyone have updates on noises. Mitsubishi dealership most unhelpful this time. Says bushings are fine.
The solution for the exact noise described and played in posts #1 and #31 is under post #37. Since I replaced the pins in the rear bumper with screws and bolts it never came back. Yesterday, I deliberately loosened the bolts and the noise returned. Tightened them again and it is gone. If your noise is different the solution might be something else.