Notices

Swapping Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swapping Throttle Bodies

Well I have been sitting on this Ralli Art Throttle body for a while and found some time to KO it this past weekend. The pictures will show the difference in the inlet which is a 1/4" and the butterfly which is about 2/8" larger as well. This is the Ralli Art and not the EVO X TB. The Ralli Art TB has the exact same plug in system as does the O.S. so after I swapped the electronics I realized that I did not even have to do that it was most likely a wasted step but oh well no big deal. The EVO X you have to swap them out and there is a small aluminum tab that you have to cut off as well to get it to fit properly. The R.A. and EVO X TB's are the same exact dimensions as far as the inlet and the butterfly are concerned and they are cheaper on ebay as well.
It was a straight forward swap and the only thing I did different was put a 3/8" plug between the coolant lines and pluged off the inlet lines of the R.A. throttle body. That way if I ever want to swap back the lines are still the stock length. I never ran coolant lines through the T.B. on my Evo when I switched over to the BOOMBA either.

I was not thinking that the TB would make that big of a difference, but it did. When I let go of the break the O.S. pulls harder forward before I engage the accelerator. It idles about the same maybe just a tad bit higher, and the response it a lot quicker.
CAUSION: If you are going to do this mod you need to plan to have it TUNED asap!
On the way to work it was operating fine giving me quite a bit quicker response and I was having fun with the new mod, until I opened it all the way up... I guess the R.A. TB does let it quite a bit more AIR. When I opened the TB 100% in 3rd the car jumped into limp mode throwing on the check engine light, and the ACT light, I pulled over cause at first it seemed like the intake might have come loose or I popped a hose off like I have done in my Evo before. I popped the hood and checked everything after I shut the car off safely. No loose hoses or clamps or what not...
It just showed the intake taking in too much air I guess.
I restarted the car all the lights that came on went off except the Check engine light of course... womp womp...
After restarting the O.S. drove just fine and I have found if I stay under the 80% throttle mark I am good to go.
Looking at getting it tunes as soon as mike gets back in town!

Hope this thread can help someone that is looking to do this mod in the future, just remember set up a tune date if you are going to attempt it.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping Throttle Bodies-20150605_204309.jpg   Swapping Throttle Bodies-20150605_204321.jpg   Swapping Throttle Bodies-20150605_210050.jpg   Swapping Throttle Bodies-20150605_210103.jpg   Swapping Throttle Bodies-20150605_211020.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
MITSIBUSHU (Jan 12, 2024)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 09:28 PM

I just want to come in from the weeds and say...I've been lurking for a few weeks now, learning and was not planning on making an account and posting until a few of my own mods are complete...but I had to drop everything and make an account just to say why the **** is there no discussion here! This is great info! I was previously researching everything involved in swapping the evo x throttle body, convinced it would be the best upgrade to that component until I find this little gem!

How did things go after the tune!?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveStatik
...but I had to drop everything and make an account just to say why the **** is there no discussion here! This is great info!

i can't speak for everyone, but i'm not really looking to mod a normally aspirated 4-cylinder little CUV with bolt-ons, let alone getting it tuned.

besides, its my wife's car.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 09:57 PM

Fair enough, totally get it. I might argue that if you have a car that starts out with a lot of power there's less point in modding it since the power is already there, unless you are just chasing numbers. To me it seems like the more you mod an already fast car, the less practical it becomes as a daily driver. I feel like the desire to upgrade is a normal manifestation of being dissatisfied with the current, and attempting to improve one's situation. Besides, for many of us, modding is just a fun and interesting way to entertain ourselves and waste our hard earned money. :P
Moss507 (May 6, 2021)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Fair enough, totally get it. I might argue that if you have a car that starts out with a lot of power there's less point in modding it since the power is already there, unless you are just chasing numbers. To me it seems like the more you mod an already fast car, the less practical it becomes as a daily driver. I feel like the desire to upgrade is a normal manifestation of being dissatisfied with the current, and attempting to improve one's situation. Besides, for many of us, modding is just a fun and interesting way to entertain ourselves and waste our hard earned money. :P

understood - wife wouldn't let me anyway.

my Infiniti G37 coupe is unmodded - 330hp is enough for a daily driver. besides, the price vs gain isn't worth it on a NA engine. i only lightly modded my Evo, just because it was cheap to do and big gains for the buck. again, i'm not a professional racecar diver, so over 300hp is plenty to get me to work and the grocery store, and stlll have fun doing it.

to be honest, i never felt the OS was sluggish. you can ALWAYS use more power, but it (the 2.4L, anyway) never left me thinking it was underpowered for what it was.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:25 PM

Ah, yea I've got the 2.0. Doesn't sound like the 2.4 had much more nut though, surprisingly. Admittedly, it does have some potential for 'fun' in the lower gears, but still could be better. I drive for Uber as a second job, and dude...I had 4 passengers in the car and the OS was really complaining about all that extra weight. It was like dragging a stubborn 3 year old through a walmart.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, yea I've got the 2.0. Doesn't sound like the 2.4 had much more nut though, surprisingly. Admittedly, it does have some potential for 'fun' in the lower gears, but still could be better. I drive for Uber as a second job, and dude...I had 4 passengers in the car and the OS was really complaining about all that extra weight. It was like dragging a stubborn 3 year old through a walmart.

i never drove a 2.0L, and on paper the 2.4L doesn't sound like much of an upgrade, but it really does go, especially from a stop. test drove a Subaru Forester and WRX before we got the OS, and the CVT's felt like rubber bands - terrible. the OS throttle is even touchy to the point of it will torque-steer the steering wheel out of your hands if you get too heavy on the gas at takeoff if not in AWD.

was asking the Mitsu dealer about the V6 big Outlander GT for my mom, and they even said the V6 wasn't really worth the extra money - the 2.4L was good enough and better gas mileage. after more research, found that the V6 comes with a "conventional" automatic transmission (that supposedly isn't very good).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When you modify the throttlebody or air intake path diameter around the MAF Sensor you will need to tune the torque limiter tables for the car or risk going into limp mode. The good news is I can do this but some of the Outlander Sport model years haven't been defined as of yet but I'm working on it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
When you modify the throttlebody or air intake path diameter around the MAF Sensor you will need to tune the torque limiter tables for the car or risk going into limp mode. The good news is I can do this but some of the Outlander Sport model years haven't been defined as of yet but I'm working on it.
So i know this post was a while back but i wanted to know if there was any update the tune for the o.s. and how i would go about getting mine tuned.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I am trying to get the Maxbore service for $185 plus shipping to go for 57mm to 62mm. Let hope I don't need to get a tune as i am not sure who tunes these mitsubishis.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
So I got the upgraded throttle body than you MaxBore. I installed it about 6 months ago. I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance. It's about noticeable to the edge of unnoticeable. It seems to accelerate quicker but no appreciable difference in MPG or overall driving. I would recommend it as better airflow equals more power.