Notices

Gatsby's 2014 O.Sport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dunno. But my son's 06 Forester with 200K is still fine. I am not saying I would take a Subie over the RVR but they are VERY popular up here and people seem to like them. BTW the RVR is THE most popular Mits in Canada. I like mine a LOT!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anywho, today I got bored. Figured since I'll soon be removing the current vinyl from the radio surround to replace it with a different style, might as well use some of the extra I had laying around to practice on the gear shift surround since I never did get around to it before.

Looks a lot better than the drab black plastic normally does, in my opinion

Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, you could look into replacing your trim bezel around the radio with a 2015 bezel, mine has a carbon fiber look to it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 2015os
Looks good, you could look into replacing your trim bezel around the radio with a 2015 bezel, mine has a carbon fiber look to it.

how much is that piece?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
+1 Subaru has it.
Originally Posted by Landshark
how much is that piece?
Dont know the cost, their stock on the 2015 OS
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2015os
Thanks

I actually have a love hate type thing with the 2015 surround. My mom purchased a 2015 after being jealous of mine, haha. I like the style, especially how the radio is "flush" with the surround, but I don't like how they got rid of the silver trim going vertically and instead added it horizontally.

On the '14s, that silver trim goes from the sides of the radio surround, down to the sides of the gear shifter area. Looks more thought out to me. Whereas the '15 has the silver trim going horizontally across the hazard lights and the pieces on the sides near the gear shift are now just plain black rather than silver. (at least in the base model).

Wouldn't like adding the 15 surround to my 14 because then I would essentially have silver trim going two different directions too close together

I did think about doing that though when I first saw the 15 radio surround, until I sat there and over thought it and compared the two, haha

But I'm really leaning towards getting that chameleon style vinyl I posted earlier, just don't want it to stick out too much in the car.

Last edited by Gatsby; Jun 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatsby

On the '14s, that silver trim goes from the sides of the radio surround, down to the sides of the gear shifter area. Looks more thought out to me. Whereas the '15 has the silver trim going horizontally across the hazard lights and the pieces on the sides near the gear shift are now just plain black rather than silver. (at least in the base model).
I would love to have those pieces that go down near the gear shift to be silver instead of black on my 2015
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There are is a hockey sock full of CF pieces for the RVR/OS/ASX on Aliexpress. (Reminds me of the slogan of "The Left Guard" night club in Minneapolis - "If you can't get it [t]here, then you just can't get it" )
Old Jul 22, 2017, 07:57 AM

Hey, I am about to put in the same touchscreen in my 2015 OS. I'm also putting in an aftermarket camera.

Was the stereo plug and play? And how hard was running the wire to the camera?
Also, do you know if I'll need any extra harness for the camera, or will I be able to utilize these instructions?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-camera-7.html

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate any help!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:29 AM

I have this rattling or pinging sound from the engine area of my 2014 rvr that has been there since after a year I've purchased it brand new.

Driving me nuts trying to find out the issue as the dealership checked it as "normal."

Sound will be audible when the engine is under load while accelerating or when you are at around 1500 rpm doing 50, 60 or 80km/h.

Any thoughts about this?

some say detonation - switched from 87 octane to 91 still the same
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by djja
I have this rattling or pinging sound from the engine area of my 2014 rvr that has been there since after a year I've purchased it brand new.

Driving me nuts trying to find out the issue as the dealership checked it as "normal."

Sound will be audible when the engine is under load while accelerating or when you are at around 1500 rpm doing 50, 60 or 80km/h.

Any thoughts about this?

some say detonation - switched from 87 octane to 91 still the same
Your description of the sound is not obvious to me but I would explore whether the A/C clutch can be the source of the sound. I had a knocking type of sound only at low rpm and only after start when the A/C was on.Try the following: open up the hood and start the engine with the A/C on. Open the throttle suddenly but only for a brief period of time (do not let the engine rpm to rise above 3000 1/min) and evaluate the sound you hear. Do the same thing with the A/C off. If the chirping sound at low rpm disappears without running your A/C then most likely the clutch is to be blamed. In my case this sound has gone once the car was running for about a minute or so. As I am out of warranty (the A/C is not part of the powertrain) so, I did not bother to fix it. The A/C works and the noise comes and goes.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Your description of the sound is not obvious to me but I would explore whether the A/C clutch can be the source of the sound. I had a knocking type of sound only at low rpm and only after start when the A/C was on.Try the following: open up the hood and start the engine with the A/C on. Open the throttle suddenly but only for a brief period of time (do not let the engine rpm to rise above 3000 1/min) and evaluate the sound you hear. Do the same thing with the A/C off. If the chirping sound at low rpm disappears without running your A/C then most likely the clutch is to be blamed. In my case this sound has gone once the car was running for about a minute or so. As I am out of warranty (the A/C is not part of the powertrain) so, I did not bother to fix it. The A/C works and the noise comes and goes.
thanks for the tip! actually I have that other issue based on your description. when I turn on a/c and engine is on low rpm, i would hear chirping/squeling sound especially during initial engine startup. Sound would be intermittent while a/c is on. Dealership told me the excuse - due to summertime weather is hot and belt tend to dry up, thus generating belt sound. you see dealers give the getaway reasons to deflect in-warranty issues. too bad there’s only 2 dealerships here and the one I go to is the “better” among the two.

I think I have an idea now about the issue I first mentioned on this thread. Here is a sample video on youtube that I found that replicates exactly how the rattling sound happens.

when it’s on gear and you press the gas pedal to give load to the car, rattling sound will happen, but doesn’t happen when flooring while on neutral or Park mode.

Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
This rattle above on the Mazda 6 sounds like a heat shield rattle to me. I have had that issue as well and my fix is found here if your ride is an AWD (post #878):
Fixing the heat shield rattle (AWD models only)
The following users liked this post:
djja (Jul 31, 2018)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
This rattle above on the Mazda 6 sounds like a heat shield rattle to me. I have had that issue as well and my fix is found here if your ride is an AWD (post #878):
Fixing the heat shield rattle (AWD models only)
I'm excited to check this! this may be the real issue and solution to my problem. I will check mine and will update this thread.

This is my vehicle and the issue I have:

Thanks again!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by djja
I'm excited to check this! this may be the real issue and solution to my problem. I will check mine and will update this thread.

This is my vehicle and the issue I have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzMc...7QI8li1wP&t=0s

Thanks again!
prettty sure that's heat shield rattle. i would Fluid Film the underside of the car before more stuff rots away.
i was pretty diligent about always washing my Evo in winter to get salt off the underside, but it was a MESS underneath when i sold it. the heat shield above the rear muffler completely disintegrated into rust dust. found out about Fluid Film afterwards.

AWCAWD - i also found this stuff - Cyclo Liqui Shield - seems pretty much like Fluid Film, but safe for rubber and plastics. i bought a few cans to do areas that i avoided with the FF, like around bushings, struts, etc. its a bit more expensive than FF, so i'll use FF for the bulk of the undercoating. will try a little on exhaust parts to see if it stinks like FF does when you get it on the exhaust ....
Amazon Amazon

i also got Krudd Kutter Must For Rust to use on some areas that already had a bit of rust on them based on this review video i watched. works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBITBF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBITBF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following 2 users liked this post by Landshark:
AWCAWD (Aug 1, 2018), djja (Aug 1, 2018)

Quick Reply: Gatsby's 2014 O.Sport