Notices

clunk, clank or rattle ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk, clank or rattle ?

I've started to get a noise in the front end of my 2015 OS GT
I've taken it to the dealer because they will not pay me to fix it myself .

1st time the service manager said he took it for a road test as did his mechanic they said it has NO noise . I told him he is full of sh** . I went to the dealership and took the manager for a ride and the noise was there and he heard it . He thought it was the exhaust .

2nd time They told me there is nothing wrong with it. It makes no noises . I told them to put the truck up on the rack and hit the left front tire center of the tread where it would hit a bump in the road with a 4lbs hammer . Again they told me NO noise . I told them They are full of SH** . I went to the dealership with My own hammer, truck still on the rack and I hit the tire just as I told them and to watch them as they both had to look down like they are fools . The mechanic told me that does not pay for diag time for noises , That's not my problem . I left the truck there and was told they would check it better . the next day I got it back . Of course the noise is still there and getting worse .

Does anyone else have a noise in the front when you drive over small lines across the road or small potholes ?

My OS GT only has 1200 miles I really don't drive it much .
I guess my next step to getting it fixed is that I will diag the noise and tell them what to fix . Or maybe I should get Mitsubishi Motors to pay me to fix it .
Old Jun 27, 2015, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 15outlanderspor

I told them to put the truck up on the rack and hit the left front tire center of the tread where it would hit a bump in the road with a 4lbs hammer .

the next day I got it back . Of course the noise is still there and getting worse .

My OS GT only has 1200 miles
I don't recall anyone else having had such a problem.
Wished you could have video'ed the noise when you had it up on the lift..
Any possibility of recording it now while driving?
You'll want to document that issue, BEFORE you attempt any DIY repair(s).

However, I would highly recommend against it at this point.
Your vehicle is under warranty, they (Mitsubishi) will most likely fix it, if you show proof. So, don't sweat it at this point.

I've taken it to the dealer because they will not pay me to fix it myself .

1st time the service manager said he took it for a road test as did his mechanic they said it has NO noise . I told him he is full of sh** . I went to the dealership and took the manager for a ride and the noise was there and he heard it . He thought it was the exhaust .

2nd time They told me there is nothing wrong with it. It makes no noises . I told them to put the truck up on the rack and hit the left front tire center of the tread where it would hit a bump in the road with a 4lbs hammer . Again they told me NO noise . I told them They are full of SH** . I went to the dealership with My own hammer, truck still on the rack and I hit the tire just as I told them and to watch them as they both had to look down like they are fools . The mechanic told me that does not pay for diag time for noises , That's not my problem . I left the truck there and was told they would check it better . the next day I got it back . Of course the noise is still there and getting worse .

Does anyone else have a noise in the front when you drive over small lines across the road or small potholes ?

My OS GT only has 1200 miles I really don't drive it much .
I guess my next step to getting it fixed is that I will diag the noise and tell them what to fix . Or maybe I should get Mitsubishi Motors to pay me to fix it .

Now, I'm not sure if that is true about Mitsu not paying for diagnostic hours when it comes to "noises"... Is the mechanic a lawyer? Sounds like He's playing word games with you.
Perhaps if you use more technical terms like "suspension harmonics" or "wheel vibration" then Mitsu will pay for those.

But, I will say this - calling those people who can help you, "they're full of sh*t" too soon before all avenues are explored is not the wisest way of getting them to service you in the long run. Especially when you still have 10 more years of Warranty coverage on your vehicle. Just sayin'..

PS:
Regarding the "noise", could it be something as simple as a loose TPMS sensor?
If so, that's a safety issue, they should be able to repair/replace that problem ASAP.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 27, 2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks mRVRsport

Now, I'm not sure if that is true about Mitsu not paying for diagnostic hours when it comes to "noises"... Is the mechanic a lawyer? Sounds like He's playing word games with you.
Perhaps if you use more technical terms like "suspension harmonics" or "wheel vibration" then Mitsu will pay for those.

But, I will say this - calling those people who can help you, "they're full of sh*t" too soon before all avenues are explored is not the wisest way of getting them to service you in the long run. Especially when you still have 10 more years of Warranty coverage on your vehicle. Just sayin'..

PS:
Regarding the "noise", could it be something as simple as a loose TPMS sensor?
If so, that's a safety issue, they should be able to repair/replace that problem ASAP.
Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

I call them full of Sh** because I'm a 30 Plus year ASE Certified mechanic with over 15 years of dealership and warranty work .

I will record the noise both ways while driving and while up on the rack .

The noise just drives me crazy .
don't know how to get the quote box to be blue
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

don't know how to get the quote box to be blue

You can just use the "QUOTE" button on the lower right of each thread post (and just highlight and use the Bold function to emphasize certain parts of the reply/comments, if you like.)

Thanks mRVRsport

I call them full of Sh** because I'm a 30 Plus year ASE Certified mechanic with over 15 years of dealership and warranty work .

Roger that!

Perhaps those individuals at that dealership have Much Less experience than you...

So, as a Master Mechanic that you are - You've already 'schooled' them on how you would diagnose your symptoms, no need to verbally "spit on them too".
I'm sure you had you fair share of 'paperwork' on auto-manufacture warranties, there's a ton of redtape to get through just to get paid for the simplest of part(s)/service.

Any how, I know from direct personal experience that Mitsu will take care of all the warranty claims (that I have had. I've documented most all of everything they have done so far on our vehicle. They are all on this forum, by the way.)
And, I've gotten them to do it all - without ever getting my blood pressure up.
With minimum out of pocket expense - Meaning just to cost of gas to drive the vehicle up to their dealership&service bay.

- Typically just takes a few kind words, a few jokes, and a couple of "I know what it's like.. dealing with corporate."
And, that Usually will get them (service advisors and technicians) to help you get things done.

The noise just drives me crazy .
I can completely understand/relate!

Well, at least you already isolated it down to the specific wheel, for them.
Shouldn't be that tough for the dealership to fix.. Once they figure out how to "code" the warranty claim in their computer so they can 'get paid' "for doing their job" , and to get it resolved for you.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 27, 2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Sway bar end link?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
Sway bar end link?
Hmm..
Would it 'rattle' if the vehicle is unloaded up on a lift, & when the tire is struck? (As OP had demonstrated?)
Those end-link joints are press-fitted and would likely make the clunk noise Only after being worn out with 70+K miles of use (or if it's damaged in a curb collision or severe pothole strike of some sort.)
Not on a brand new vehicle with just 1,200 miles...

> I can't wait to see the video of the noise, so we'll have a better understanding of what is being described.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 28, 2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I feel your pain man. Some service guys are dolts. Since you can't fix stoopid, you need to do some detective work yourself (sad as that is to say...). Try the usual suspects: ball joints, tie rod ends, bushing etc. If it is only one side it should not take that long to diagnose. FWIW, I've experience a similar thing on a brand new vehicle. Took three trips to the dealer to diagnose a defective motor mount (obviously not your situation). just sayin'
Old Jun 28, 2015, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Weird coincidence: my 2011 RVR clunkcs on the left front when I hit a speed bump. I have to pull a wheel to see if I have a leaky strut as others have reported. Strange, eh?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
Weird coincidence: my 2011 RVR clunkcs on the left front when I hit a speed bump. I have to pull a wheel to see if I have a leaky strut as others have reported. Strange, eh?

Hmm...
That is strange.

(You make video too? Let's compare the noises.)
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Will do - in September. At the lake for the summer and the RVR is in storage.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 05:52 PM

Ok so I put the OS up in the air today to look for my noise , and to record the sound for all who asked for it . I really think the dealership should have been able to find this noise . in the video you hear 1st the hammer hitting the tire then the clanking noise . Hard to record the sound when driving to much wind noise .

Oh yeah , what is the noise from ? front brake pads rattling in the calipers . both sides are making the noise . Now lets see what the warranty will take care of .

Last edited by 15outlanderspor; Jun 30, 2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I put the OS up in the air today to look for my noise , and to record the sound for all who asked for it . I really think the dealership should have been able to find this noise . in the video you hear 1st the hammer hitting the tire then the clanking noise . Hard to record the sound when driving to much wind noise . http://youtu.be/JxfiGvsJEwE

Oh yeah , what is the noise from ? front brake pads rattling in the calipers . both sides are making the noise . Now lets see what the warranty will take care of .

Video is Private.. Can't view it...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

^
So, if it is the brakes (pads) rattling/clunking, could the factory forgotten to install the anti-squeal clips to the pads?

Or, is the caliper's bolts and/or guide-pins not torqued down to spec?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 06:45 PM

Sorry missed the publish button for the video .

All the anti-rattle clips are in place , caliper bracket and sliders are all tight .

If I pry on the inner pad while hitting the tire noise stops . just like if I just step on the brakes the noise stops . all of which I showed and told the service manager and tech . hoping they will fix it this next visit .
Old Jul 1, 2015, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Could you lock the brakes (ie. someone sitting it the car pressing the pedal) and hit the tire to see if the noise goes away? Somehow I can't see this being brake-related, BICBW.

Quick Reply: clunk, clank or rattle ?