Notices

GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build

So starts the build thread of the Cosmic Blue 2016 Outlander: "Galactica"
I always liked that show, and since the color is Cosmic Blue, I guess the name is fitting.
The ride is a 2016 Outlander SE S-AWC. Plans for the mill are an Aluminum Crank Pulley, Timing controller, modding the air box tubes and I'll be looking into a larger TB swap and doing something with the exhaust. (HFC, header, better muffler)

Plans for the Look: Going with my ASA 5 spoke 19's and performance tires. Wheels are black with color matched centers in the spokes. Looking to do some Purple pin striping design on the body and some accents. Thinking about dulling up or coloring the Chrome trim with a charcoal / Grey color.

I really like the look of the off road design (may have to talk the wife into going that route with hers. lol) but I'll be making mine more performance driver friendly. (if you can call it that in a 2.4L UTE) On to some pics of the future.
Attached Thumbnails GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build-cosmic-blue-d.jpg   GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build-galactica.jpg   GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build-mitsu-off-road.jpg   GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build-wp_20140830_002.jpg  
Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It is interesting to me that the Outlander's Dynamic Shield grill looks so much better than then one in the OS/RVR
Old Nov 22, 2015, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Love the name.
Love that show too. (the ending was a that weird though)

Any how, can't wait to see all that you do this ride!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
It is interesting to me that the Outlander's Dynamic Shield grill looks so much better than then one in the OS/RVR
Well, I'm sure that design language was specifically created for the Outlander.

Mitsu apparently just grafted this theme onto the O.S. without accommodating for the shorter sheetmetal proportions of our vehicle.
Sad.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

On the brighter side, parts for pre-2016s should drop considerably. At least front end parts.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
On the brighter side, parts for pre-2016s should drop considerably. At least front end parts.
chief that's a negative.
Knowing how dealers manipulate costs, I'd say expect the previous model parts to go up by 20%, cause they are now "more rare" And "harder to come by...".
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno.... there are years and years of front bumper fascias around - for my 11 they cost $300 US new. Not that the local dealer wouldn't try to jack prices...
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

So I was asked why not the V6, since most of my friends know I like the power in what I drive., well, when we looked at the options and the prices between the GT and SE or SEL, I couldn't see spending that much more for the options that I didn't want (like the leather seats) and after looking at the power ratings on both, I couldn't see getting the V6 that was ONLY putting out 224HP. I was really expecting more power on the butt dyno, with #'s more in the 300HP range. But sadly, the V6 just didn't deliver. GT also had yucky fake wood trim, and I prefer the carbon fiber look.
224-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 (premium)
166-hp, 2.4-liter I-4 (regular gas)
MPG's aren't that far off from each other either, but the V6 is requiring premium fuel to do it. I already use Premium in the previous turbo car, and it's doing well in the wifes Big O, so we'll see how it does in the new one. I see a difference in power and MPG's in her 2.4, so since she was happy with the lil 4 banger mill in hers and the 16 model is a bit peppier than it, I'm fine with adding some bolt ons and just driving the crap out of it. (although I wouldn't mind the paddle shifting 6 speed trans over the CVT)

Last edited by Krakker; Nov 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Krakker
So I was asked why not the V6, since most of my friends know I like the power in what I drive., well, when we looked at the options and the prices between the GT and SE or SEL, I couldn't see spending that much more for the options that I didn't want (like the leather seats) and after looking at the power ratings on both, I couldn't see getting the V6 that was ONLY putting out 224HP. I was really expecting more power on the butt dyno, with #'s more in the 300HP range. But sadly, the V6 just didn't deliver. GT also had yucky fake wood trim, and I prefer the carbon fiber look.
224-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 (premium)
166-hp, 2.4-liter I-4 (regular gas)
MPG's aren't that far off from each other either, but the V6 is requiring premium fuel to do it. I already use Premium in the previous turbo car, and it's doing well in the wifes Big O, so we'll see how it does in the new one. I see a difference in power and MPG's in her 2.4, so since she was happy with the lil 4 banger mill in hers and the 16 model is a bit peppier than it, I'm fine with adding some bolt ons and just drivw the crap out of it. (although I wouldn't mind the paddle shifting 6 speed trans over the CVT)
Yeah who needs leather and FAKE plastic wood trim? Especially if they charge us such a high premium for it.

In lieu of getting a turbo for the stock 2.4L, getting a Standard 6-speed trans would have been a great compromise.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Subscribed!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

So I get back JUST IN TIME before the icy weather hit Nebraska. Last night (Thanks Giving) we went out to some stores looking for a couple things, and the roads had been rained on, sleeted on, and covered in frozen white beads (like broken Styrofoam) and in SNOW mode, this UTE took off from a stop like it was dry out, turned with traction control engaging with out skipping a beat, and braked with the ABS in action and game me FULL confidence.

The electric boost in the defroster is like gold. Car heats up better than a Jeep (known for awesome heaters)

1st parts ordered last night were rain guards / vent visors. gonna look into the stubby antenna and some mud guards as well.
Checking into a package from RRM to include just the Pulley and the timing controller.
I should see around 9-10 HP and some MPG increase.
So far, the 3 of us are all very impressed with the new model and the improvements Mits made. better sound insulation, thicker glass, very high end feeling for comfort and drive. OS upgrade recommended.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

So I get back JUST IN TIME before the icy weather hit Nebraska. Last night (Thanks Giving) we went out to some stores looking for a couple things, and the roads had been rained on, sleeted on, and covered in frozen white beads (like broken Styrofoam) and in SNOW mode, this UTE took off from a stop like it was dry out, turned with traction control engaging with out skipping a beat, and braked with the ABS in action and game me FULL confidence.

The electric boost in the defroster is like gold. Car heats up better than a Jeep (known for awesome heaters)

1st parts ordered last night were rain guards / vent visors. gonna look into the stubby antenna and some mud guards as well.
Checking into a package from RRM to include just the Pulley and the timing controller.
I should see around 9-10 HP and some MPG increase.
So far, the 3 of us are all very impressed with the new model and the improvements Mits made. better sound insulation, thicker glass, very high end feeling for comfort and drive. OS upgrade recommended.

That's some nice feedback on the capabilities
Good to hear you're giving such praise to the new model. Once we get things settled with the new house, we may consider the Big O upgrade, for sure.

So, perhaps I'm still numb from the turkey dinner & drinks... What are you talking about >
"electric boost in the defroster"? You mean the window defroster??
Old Nov 27, 2015, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
That's some nice feedback on the capabilities
Good to hear you're giving such praise to the new model. Once we get things settled with the new house, we may consider the Big O upgrade, for sure.

So, perhaps I'm still numb from the turkey dinner & drinks... What are you talking about >
"electric boost in the defroster"? You mean the window defroster??
Yes. I haven't found anything about it on the net that I can post to explain it, but the dealer did. it's basically a pre-warmer for the system. Perhaps a feature that they aren't mentioning for yada yada reasons, but I've also got parking assist sensors and a little area on the left dash by the traction control button that lights up and shows you / beep warnings at you when you are parking. So when you are backing up, you have your mirrors, your back up camera, AND this beeping sensor thingy if you are near anything that you could potentially run into. lol

On a good not, I talked with Rob at RRM again today. I'm getting the aluminum Pulley and the timing controller coming my way. Rob was SUPER helpful. We discussed the modification I made to the intake (MAF boss) so the newer sensor would bolt up. He's looking at getting a run of them and modifying them like I did so that we all have a choice (based on year and sensor mounting style) to chose from. Can't say enough about a companies owner that's willing to talk with anyone to work out their needs. THANKS ROB!!!!
End result is to help those here and who visit their site, get the right info on the year and model they are working on. OS, VS the Big O. and 2.0 version, vs. 2.4 engine.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Parts to be installed as soon as I get time. (After they get here of course)

There are video installs of a few of these items on the RRM site. The parts I'm choosing are from the 2008-2015 Lancer, 2.4L. section. The previous OS we had used the pulley from the 2.0. There's now an OS section, but hopefully we'll be able to update it with 2.4 info as well. I'd say check out Robs BIO on the home page, very cool history behind the man of the company.
Attached Thumbnails GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build-timing-controller.jpg   GALACTICA 2016 Outlander Build-rrm-pulley.jpg  
Old Dec 2, 2015, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Parts to be installed as soon as I get time. (After they get here of course)

There are video installs of a few of these items on the RRM site. The parts I'm choosing are from the 2008-2015 Lancer, 2.4L. section. The previous OS we had used the pulley from the 2.0. There's now an OS section, but hopefully we'll be able to update it with 2.4 info as well. I'd say check out Robs BIO on the home page, very cool history behind the man of the company.
Awesome, the pulley is a great mod and not to crazy of a job, will be cool to see what the plug and play harness gives you are far as hp too.