Notices

MILEAGE ? Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MILEAGE ? Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES

Hello, first timer here,,,
Recently found this car, and am seriously considering buying one. Found a 2014 Outlander Sport ES. However it has about 90,000 miles on it. Which to me is kinda crazy for a 2014 to have that many miles... But anyways, doing research on the make and model, I have heard both sides, good and bad. I found this forum and I feel like all of you may have some good insight for me.

My question is: How many miles can I expect this car to go before the engine needs replaced?

Keeping in mind: I plan on doing all the routine maintenance, oil changes, fluids, etc.

Is there anyone here with an Outlander over 200,000 miles? any feedback is very much appreciated! Thanks for reading and best wishes to you all, really hope I can join the family if you all believe this car still has some life in it!

Cheers!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
does it have maintenance records, especially oil changes?

what is the Blue Book value? i'm guessing between 4-7 grand, depending on condtion ...

these cars should be decently reliable, but i would need to see some maintenance records. if you can get it cheap enough, though ...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as all routine maintenance has been kept up with on the life of the car, I think it should be fine. I only got to about 45k on my OS before I traded it in for the full size Outlander, but I had basically zero problems.

Also, generally when cars get that high of mileage that fast, they're all highway which helps a little bit.

I would be more concerned with the CVT holding up rather than the engine to be honest. Is this coming from a private seller or a dealership?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:53 AM

Thank you for the faster responses! This car is listed for $9,900 and is from a Volkswagen dealer. I also noticed it has some warranty left on it.
The KBB has it listed $8,900-10,500 for a fair price, so I feel like the price is just about there. I'm sure I can haggle the price down a few hundred dollars. I'll be asking for maintenance records as well. I plan on going to see it tomorrow, as long as it's still available. anymore information is greatly appreciated ! Thanks !
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
We have a 2013 and getting close to 73,000...

The only major negative issue(s) that we have experienced so far is the lame factory battery. It only lasted ~2.5 years for us, which leaves you completely in the lurch.. It totally died on us twice already. So, just a heads up.

A few other things to check:
1. Since the front bumper and fenders are rubber, you'll need to pay close attention to the underlying metal structure(s) and make sure there wasn't any collisions, because those surface rubber parts just bounce back and you wouldn't know.

2. If it's a CVT trans, then like Gatsby said pay close attention to when it's fluid was changed if at all.

3. Check those Tires! Make sure they aren't worn unevenly or balded at 90K, yikes! And check for that spare.

4. Check those brake pads! I'm betting they are down to the shims..

One last note-
Even though Mitsubishi gave 100,000 miles of factory warranty on the engine & transmission of this vehicle, it is NOT transferable (from first original buyer to secondary buyers, just FYI) .
Make sure you read the details and not let the Volkswagen salesman/folks tell you otherwise. Read the fine print. Any warranty "left" more than likely is from third-party, which is another headache inducing experience in itself...

Last edited by mRVRsport; Mar 31, 2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 06:13 PM

Thank you, thank you! I appreciate all the help ! I will be better prepared now.

with the CVT, would it be best to just have all the fluids replaced when/if I get the car ? Just have it all flushed and refilled ?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

^
Do it yourself, Definitely!
1. spark plugs
2. motor oil & filter
3. brake pads
4. cabin filter
5. CVT fluid

Don't rely/trust a Volkswagen dealership to do it for you...
We already know what happened with their farkrvergnügen diesel fiasco.

Here, I'll start and point you to the first DIY, post#423 >
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...-today-29.html
Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
one thing to consider is that this car REQUIRES synthetic oil, so check for that on any records to make sure someone didn't cheap-out and use regular dino oil. also, as stated above, the CVT fluid ...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 08:06 AM

Owned since New. I had 226k miles yes 226,000 miles and still ran great . Mine was a 2014 5speed. Original everything even the clutch. Still would have it but was hit from the rear by someone doing 50mph and I was stopped at a traffic light. Did all my own maintenance. I still got $9500 for it totalled.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aaronspeed
Owned since New. I had 226k miles yes 226,000 miles and still ran great . Mine was a 2014 5speed. Original everything even the clutch. Still would have it but was hit from the rear by someone doing 50mph and I was stopped at a traffic light. Did all my own maintenance. I still got $9500 for it totalled.
Dang!
I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel about that! Stupid drivers..