Notices

Whistler's 2 inch Lift

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whistler's 2 inch Spring Lift

This isn't gonna be a how to lift my outlander sport instructional. I will just say what parts i used and show pictures of the spring lift. This is just to show it's possible and that is has been done. I've had this lift since July and it's still running great. I will update whenever i get around to it.

how it looks with the full 2 inch lift.

This is half of the lift, so you can see the difference.

stock

stock

stock

stock

The front needs the jeep patriot upper spring seat piece, i got mine from the dealership. Make sure you get this before you take things apart.

comparison, apparently murchison uses the 2010 jeep patriot, and therefore the springs are a different size.

with these tires and their offset i rub on plastic and some metal.

i was able to succesfully grind off the metal part that was rubbing and i spray painted it.

on the lift

replaced the arm with the moog k100114 arm for camber adjustment.

the rear lift springs installed

sitting flush after unfortunately having to grind the spring...

put together

i now only use 1, 1 inch hockey puck all around just in case.

they said their springs would fit these monroe struts and it doesn't...

Murchison Spring Lift w. Camber Bolts. Intended for the 2010 Jeep Patriot. The outlander sport does not need the camber bolts, but you get them anyways in the order.

was just comparing to a lifted jeep

Last edited by WhistlerOS; Oct 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NORTHEn (May 24, 2021)
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:10 AM

I used Monroe struts and they are better than OEM imo. there are 2 different fronts... but the brake line do not line up. So i pulled part of the line out of a sort of position holder and zip tied to the line to the strut.

Monroe Fronts are 72368 and 72367. There is 1 number for the rear order 2 of them. 72401
Old Oct 22, 2017, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
A very interesting modification. Your approach is very similar to TCSNY's, when it comes to appearance.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...-mods-nyc.html
The OS is among the very few compact+subcompact SUVs that offer decent ground clearance (GC). I suspect your 10.5" GC is even better when going off road.
On the other hand, I am a bit surprised that you put such over-sized tires on. With this you may have several disadvantages: shorter suspension travel, large positive scrub radius, larger moment of inertia (rotational mass), and substantially larger rolling resistance besides your speedo being off. Additionally, your tires most likely throw stones off potentially damaging your paint on the side. Am I wrong? What is your overall experience (both on paved road and off road) besides aesthetics? Notwithstanding my concerns above, you definitely deserve kudos for your initiative, creativity, and bravery to carry out this funky and thorough change.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks.

It will throw up stuff on the sides mainly when turning, it's actually not that bad. But i have Fender flares im gonna put on when i stop being lazy and get some motivation to put them on. And the flares should stop rock flinging well enough. I love these tires off and on road. Suprisingly the road noise is less than with the crappy all seasons it came with. The clearance is really nice, and i have hockey pucks as a bump stop, although i don't think i will need it. It's there just in case. I have never felt worried about a shorter travel. Adding the 2 inches kind of makes up for some of the lost travel. If i didn't have the Lift, having these wheels and tires would make the vehicle not very functional. I would only be able to drive on flat surfaces like a slammed car. I had no travel clearence without the lift. And i had to put 3 hockey pucks per wheel which only gave me an inch of strut movement. But now with the new struts, it drives and ride better than stock, and i feel very confident in the tires that i got to get me through all weather conditions and most basic off road conditions. I have no plans for rock crawling or any extreme mudding. but there are areas where i might need to cross a shallow river or muddy and or snowy spots.
Also you are right, spedo is off and gas mileage is lower for reasons of physics.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
WhislterOS, awesome OS! One of my favorites on here! This is exactly what I want to do to our 2012 which is also white Thanks for sharing. What size tires are those? We are wanting to lift our OS soon and not sure on going this route or a spacer lift that I found online a few months back.

Last edited by Hamman; Dec 1, 2017 at 09:39 AM.
WhistlerOS (Dec 13, 2017)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad was an alignment needed after all of this, and what was the approximate cost, if you don't mind? I'd like a lift. Found some things that might give me a small lift, but I keep hearing the front shocks squeaking and want to upgrade those as well. http://www.jcwhitney.com/mr-gasket-s...1305d54594u0j1
Old Dec 13, 2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks! You make awesome bikes! I hope the lift works out for you. People might be better off with that kind of lift than with this one. It would be good to compare.

Originally Posted by Hamman
WhislterOS, awesome OS! One of my favorites on here! This is exactly what I want to do to our 2012 which is also white Thanks for sharing. What size tires are those? We are wanting to lift our OS soon and not sure on going this route or a spacer lift that I found online a few months back.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 08:44 PM

It was needed for sure. It cost the same as any normal alignment. Good luck, let me know how it goes for you.

Originally Posted by Stellarvore
How bad was an alignment needed after all of this, and what was the approximate cost, if you don't mind? I'd like a lift. Found some things that might give me a small lift, but I keep hearing the front shocks squeaking and want to upgrade those as well. http://www.jcwhitney.com/mr-gasket-s...1305d54594u0j1
Old Dec 13, 2017, 08:53 PM

Tire size is 235 70 16 and the wheels have a 0 offset.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Rad, thanks man for the info.
@Stellarvore, I looked into those. I have heard they "pop" out easily if you do take the OS on any service road. Especially if the coil stretches out a bit. I had seen where some people drill small holes in it and run zip ties around the base of it to keep it physically attached to the spring.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhistlerOS
Thanks.

It will throw up stuff on the sides mainly when turning, it's actually not that bad. But i have Fender flares im gonna put on when i stop being lazy and get some motivation to put them on. And the flares should stop rock flinging well enough. I love these tires off and on road. Suprisingly the road noise is less than with the crappy all seasons it came with. The clearance is really nice, and i have hockey pucks as a bump stop, although i don't think i will need it. It's there just in case. I have never felt worried about a shorter travel. Adding the 2 inches kind of makes up for some of the lost travel. If i didn't have the Lift, having these wheels and tires would make the vehicle not very functional. I would only be able to drive on flat surfaces like a slammed car. I had no travel clearence without the lift. And i had to put 3 hockey pucks per wheel which only gave me an inch of strut movement. But now with the new struts, it drives and ride better than stock, and i feel very confident in the tires that i got to get me through all weather conditions and most basic off road conditions. I have no plans for rock crawling or any extreme mudding. but there are areas where i might need to cross a shallow river or muddy and or snowy spots.
Also you are right, spedo is off and gas mileage is lower for reasons of physics.

Are you gonna do the OEM style flares or some bolt on ones? We are ordering some bolt on ones soon to install. I ran them for years on my VW and they looked killer
Old Apr 24, 2018, 02:25 PM

Are you gonna do the OEM style flares or some bolt on ones? We are ordering some bolt on ones soon to install. I ran them for years on my VW and they looked killer
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see an email. I bought some eBay bolt on flares. I am thinking of looking for different ones since the ones I got I feel are a couple inches too short. Or I might not do any at all. Which ones did you order? Maybe I can copy you 😉
Old Apr 24, 2018, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Hey mate, Im gonna order the bolt on style too off eBay but I am going with he 30mm tall ones so they clear the door as the rear body section is very skinny. They are coming from Russia. I'll probably order them in the next few weeks
Old May 28, 2018, 11:49 AM

Hey mate, Im gonna order the bolt on style too off eBay but I am going with he 30mm tall ones so they clear the door as the rear body section is very skinny. They are coming from Russia. I'll probably order them in the next few weeks
I saw your thread, i'll keep an eye out to see how they look
Hamman (May 29, 2018)
Old May 29, 2018, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Nice, I haven't decided yet on the 30mm flares which come from Russia or just the el' cheapo 2" (50mm) ones yet. The 2" ones may interfere a bit with the rear door as the body line between the door and the wheel are is very narrow. I may be able to trim it a bit to sit almost flush with the door....and they are much much cheaper