Notices

Tire Measuring....

Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Tire Measuring....

I am hoping someone on here can chime in and lend me some knowledge regarding measuring tire clearances. I plan on keeping the stock 16" rims on our OS for a while but am needing new tires. I am currently running 215/70r16s and would like to bump up to a 225/70 or 235/70r16. I know there are members here running 235/70r16's but with aftermarket rims with different offset and backspacing. I have 1.5" wheel spacers installed which of course push the wheel away from the body/suspension a bit. I'd love to rock a 235/225-75 profile but I don't think this will clear until I do a lift and a bit more trimming.

My only concern is, running a 235 on the front. The rear will be fine as there is tons of room between the tire sidewall and the fender liner and rear shocks. The fronts will be pushing I think. I know the 235/70 is almost an inch larger in diameter and width then a 215/70 so not sure if it will rub the lower spring mount. I don't want to put thin wheel spacers on my 1.5" bolt on spacers so not sure if I should stick to a 215 or 225. I will most likely running a meaty all terrain or very mild M/T tire .

I have read the thread regarding wheel specs (winter wheel/ tire combos) but still not sure if the stock wheel backspacing plus an 1.5" spacer will allow a 235 to fit. I'm probably overthinking this but would like to be certain before I order and have tires mounted... Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I do not think that you are "overthinking" this issue.
First, your primary source for exploring different options would be this site:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Besides fitting the wheel there are many other considerations that will influence the handling, durability, and stability of your vehicle if you deviate from the stock configurations.
To demonstrate this I am attaching two images generated from the above website: one is showing the geometry of the stock configurations (16" or 18" depending on your model or region) and the other by using the set up used by two of our members (TCNYCS, and Whistler)
2016 Outlander Sport SEL with tasteful mods NYC
Whistler's 2 inch Lift

You may want to keep the position of the brake rotor at the center of the wheel (as shown in both of the OEM configurations) to avoid a torque generated upon acceleration/braking (source for torque steer). By using smaller offset and or wheel spacers you will move the center of the wheel outside and introducing a lever arm for the torque (smaller the offset + wider the tire bigger the lever arm and thus, the torque will be; see the horizontal arrows in TCNYCS's and, and Whistler's wheels). The introduced positive scrub radius will require larger steering effort, more stress on the suspension and steering parts, and decreased handling/stability upon braking. Somewhat less of the problem is that your speedometer will be off (in the two demonstrated cases by only +- ~2.5%).
Because the deviation from the stock tire/wheel size influences the stability of the vehicle, in many countries (many EU countries) the vehicle is automatically failed in the regular (annual/biannual) examination and cannot be registered to participate in traffic if the deviation from stock configuration exceeds the allowable limit. North-American regulations are more relaxed and this encourages many people to experiment freely on their own and others' expense. You are doing a lot of off-roading. Prepare for shorter lifetime of your suspension components (wheel bearings). I have no verified information how the positive scrub radius influences the all wheel drive system's performance and durability but on the basis of fundamentals I suspect one must also consider this.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Jun 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hamman (Jun 22, 2018)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, that is legit info and actually really clears up some spots for me! I will be playing around with the site. It is neat seeing the difference between there two rims but same tire specs. My only concern is the front tire suspension clearance. I know this can be handled by a bit thicker spacer or different offset rim but would like to stick with my current rims if possible but playing with the tool it looks like a 235 on stock rim should be fine.
Thanks mate!!

Last edited by Hamman; Jun 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: info
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamman
Damn, that is legit info and actually really clears up some spots for me! I will be playing around with the site. It is neat seeing the difference between there two rims but same tire specs. My only concern is the front tire suspension clearance. I know this can be handled by a bit thicker spacer or different offset rim but would like to stick with my current rims if possible but playing with the tool it looks like a 235 on stock rim should be fine.
Thanks mate!!
I would discourage you to mount a 235 mm wide tire on your 6.5" wide rim. You would need a 7" or wider rim to do it safely. The site I provided in my previous post also deals with safe mounting combinations of tires and wheels (if I remember correctly).
Old Jun 22, 2018, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ok right on, I have read other reviews on a 235 on a 6.5 also and a few have also discouraged this. I think the largest I would do is a 225 and that still may be a bit large. If anything, I'd like a bit more sidewall meat. I don't mind the 215 profile but there are not a lot in the all terrain style in a 215/75. After playing around with the measuring tool some more, I think a 225/75 will actually be perfect. Based on the stock wheel specs and what info the tool is telling me, a 225/75 will only move the wheel 5mm closer to the suspension but will fill out the wheel well by around 18mm which I have plenty of room with after adding the fender flares. I also don't mind if I have to do a bit more trimming The only thing is, the suspension clearance is pre-set to 50mm. I do not know if this is a standard measurement for most vehicles or if the OS is closer/further away but the tool is stating I can get down to 15/16mm on a 225/75 with a stock wheel before the tire sidewall makes contact with the spring mount......very cool tool to use

Last edited by Hamman; Jun 22, 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

I may be picking up a set of wheels and tires this weekend....what are you all with aftermarket rims doing about the TPMS?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 04:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamman
I may be picking up a set of wheels and tires this weekend....what are you all with aftermarket rims doing about the TPMS?
The tire shop should be able to convert the sensors over to the new wheels. Pretty simple process

I run my EvO wheels on my DD & did just that (moved the Toyota sensors over to the Mitsu wheels)
Old Jun 27, 2018, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The tire shop should be able to convert the sensors over to the new wheels. Pretty simple process

I run my EvO wheels on my DD & did just that (moved the Toyota sensors over to the Mitsu wheels)
Right on, I was hoping to do this. The wheels and tires I am getting are already mounted and balanced together. So id' have to have everything removed and re-installed which isn't that big of deal. Getting a good deal on some american racing steelies with brand new all terrains.