Notices

Side Mirror Shakes / Vibrates on High Speed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Mirror Shakes / Vibrates on High Speed

I have this annoying problem that I have been dealing with for a couple of weeks now.

I own a 2014 Mitsubishi RVR purchased brand new in March 2014. Since then I’ve had a few issues here and there that had to be sent in for warranty repairs.

One of which is the most recent issue I have about my driver’s side mirror vibration/shacking issue when driving on high speeds, which the local dealer tech has not fixed and deemed it “normal” but isn’t as the other side does not show the issue.

I have already tried to tighten door bolts, under base screws and mirror gimbal screws (back side of mirror) but issue is still happening.

Anyone else has noticed this issue and have corrected it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had very shaky mirrors on my 2015 OS, I found the screws under the mirror arm were loose. Look for a little panel that can be popped off and see how those screws are for you.

remove this little panel.
The following users liked this post:
djja (Jun 19, 2018)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
I need to try this too, my mirrors are a bit shaky on the highway as well. Thanks for the tip
Old Jun 19, 2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Alexman2525
I had very shaky mirrors on my 2015 OS, I found the screws under the mirror arm were loose. Look for a little panel that can be popped off and see how those screws are for you.

remove this little panel.

Thanks for your suggestion!

How loose was yours when you did it? I got those screws tightened too but not too much - did not over tighten. I could recheck it but I believe I have tightened those screws enough.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by djja
Thanks for your suggestion!

How loose was yours when you did it? I got those screws tightened too but not too much - did not over tighten. I could recheck it but I believe I have tightened those screws enough.
Mine looked fine while inspecting them but I gave them a turn or two to make sure they are nice and tight. No more mirror shaking!
djja (Jun 19, 2018)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 01:48 PM

Mine looked fine while inspecting them but I gave them a turn or two to make sure they are nice and tight. No more mirror shaking!
Looks like Im gonna give it another shot. Will update after. Thanks again.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I am afraid that tightening the screws may not solve your problem. Here is what my experience is:
1. I needed a side mirror replacement after having found it damaged in a supermarket parking lot. I ordered one from a US ebayer. See my report here (post #7):https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...e-mirrors.html
2. The replacement mirror was shaking as reported by the OP of this thread. I attempted to tighten it but fund no improvement.
3. I found another copy on a wrecked 13 OS and had the same experience, so I returned the item to the junk yard.
4. I pulled one from a 2010 (second generation) Outlander on the same junk yard (for $20 Canadian). I had to rewire the connections as the harness is different in the two models; see post #12 on the above link for reference). Now this mirror is rock solid.

My conclusion (may be correct may be not): My 2012 RVR/OS and the 2010 Outlander both were manufactured in Japan supposedly from Japanese parts, whereas the 2013 OS was assembled in the US and the ebay item (I do not complain I paid fraction of the price of the OEM part) I bought comes from an unknown source. When I folded the mirrors I felt much less resistance on the vibrating copies than the others. I would be happy to see the stamp at the bottom of the mirror in your copies. For reference, I am providing the pictures of the Outlander and my damaged RVR mirrors.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 04:22 PM

Thumbs up

I am afraid that tightening the screws may not solve your problem. Here is what my experience is:
1. I needed a side mirror replacement after having found it damaged in a supermarket parking lot. I ordered one from a US ebayer. See my report here (post #7):https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...e-mirrors.html
2. The replacement mirror was shaking as reported by the OP of this thread. I attempted to tighten it but fund no improvement.
3. I found another copy on a wrecked 13 OS and had the same experience, so I returned the item to the junk yard.
4. I pulled one from a 2010 (second generation) Outlander on the same junk yard (for $20 Canadian). I had to rewire the connections as the harness is different in the two models; see post #12 on the above link for reference). Now this mirror is rock solid.

My conclusion (may be correct may be not): My 2012 RVR/OS and the 2010 Outlander both were manufactured in Japan supposedly from Japanese parts, whereas the 2013 OS was assembled in the US and the ebay item (I do not complain I paid fraction of the price of the OEM part) I bought comes from an unknown source. When I folded the mirrors I felt much less resistance on the vibrating copies than the others. I would be happy to see the stamp at the bottom of the mirror in your copies. For reference, I am providing the pictures of the Outlander and my damaged RVR mirrors.[/QUOTE]

I will take a photo of mine then will report this back here. thanks for the info
Old Jun 22, 2018, 06:35 PM

This is mine
Old Jun 23, 2018, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. It is interesting that the label is the same. Murakami is a Japanese city and I suspect this is where the mirrors were supposedly made.I doubt that they were shipped all the way from there to Normal, IL.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 07:07 PM

drove 100km again earlier today outside the city and vibration is still existing. just trying not to make it a big deal for now but can really tick me off to be honest.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 08:25 PM

Wow, well if that was me then I would get some toctite threadlocker and apply to all the screws then get some 3m automotive double stick tape and put it on the back of the mirror where the clips are to really keep it still. If that didn't work, time for a new mirror.
djja (Jun 24, 2018)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 08:46 PM

Wow, well if that was me then I would get some toctite threadlocker and apply to all the screws then get some 3m automotive double stick tape and put it on the back of the mirror where the clips are to really keep it still. If that didn't work, time for a new mirror.
Sounds like I got to try these as well before I totally replace my mirror out of pocket as I mentioned, dealer assessed it as "normal" so they won't replace it. oh well.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

In my case the the clips were firm. The weak point was the pivot the mirror is folding about. The crews were firmly tightened. When I grabbed the entire mirror and shook it it was moving way more than the other original mirror. I suspect either a material difference or a larger tolerance in the parts (or both).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Been watching this thread..
I'm wondering if it's something else that might be rattling like an actual loose screw or bolt or even a piece of a clip in the A-pillar cavity...

Or, the plastic base plate could be damaged/missing a tab that holds the mirror in place. Double check to see if all the tabs are intact >
original thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...t-asx-rvr.html

or perhaps the side mirror cap is loose, somehow.. < it may look like it's on tight while sitting still, but when you start to rolling the cap may be lifting off -by the wind- just enough to cause the noises you're experiencing.
Alexman2525 (Jun 29, 2018)

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Shakes / Vibrates on High Speed