Notices

2011 Mitsubishi RVR A/C Compressor parts compatibility between different years?

Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2011 Mitsubishi RVR A/C Compressor parts compatibility between different years?

Hello there!

So last week in this heat wave my A/C stopped blowing cold air, and the A/C Light is blinking. Despite all my troubleshooting it looks like that the A/C Compressor itself died and is not engaging the clutch when the A/C is turned on. I tried smacking the clutch plate when the A/C was turned on but nothing.

So here I am searching around for a new compressor. For my vehicle (2011 RVR, with the 2.0L 4B11 engine) I find that many people is either asking 300+ for a used compressor or from 800-1300+ for a new one which is far out of my budget.

I did find a shop on Ebay selling a used low mileage compressor (Around 80k kms on it) for 115 dollars, and its from a 2.0L 2013 RVR with the same engine, however the seller says that it wont fit my 2011 model.
He has another compressor that will fit my vehicle, however that price is 210 dollars and has come from a vehicle that has driven more than 250k kms on it.

So I ask you for your advice, is the A/C compressor interchangeable between the years, or did mitsubishi change it up a bit, rendering it incompatible?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome to our community!
Before buying a new compressor you might want to check your system's integrity. It is much more likely to fall your refrigerant level below a threshold that prevents the compressor to turn on (and preventing itself from self-destruction) than the compressor to fail. I recommend the fully automated check. You hook up your high and low pressure points to a fully automated machine that first sucks everything out of the system, it holds the vacuum for ten minutes or so. If your system is capable of holding the vacuum it will then lubricate the entire system, and finally fills up with lubricant to the vehicle specs The operator just enters the vehicle make and model and everything else is automatic. No overfill, no moisture. The cycle lasts some 45 minutes or so and costs about $150+tax (Canadian). I used this method on my son's old W203 Benz more than two years ago and his AC works perfectly since. If this method detects a leak your answer is not a new compressor anyway. Just my two cents. Good luck and keep us posted if you find the solution.

Last edited by AWCAWD; May 17, 2019 at 02:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GeorgeChadstana (Jul 16, 2018)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 03:44 PM

Thank you for the quick reply!

Sorry I should have mentioned that I had my mechanic do a quick check on the system, and both the Hi and low pressures are within specifications. After he checked it out, his opinion was that the compressor itself has died. I did some troubleshooting as well, and I have came to the same conclusion.

However, I will keep this thread updated!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:13 PM

Hello there! My quick update,

When I last did a check last summer, I can see with the help of a lead tester that the System is indeed sending power to the compressor, so ive come to the conclusion that yes it is quite possibly the compressor.

Its getting warmer now, so im looking around for a compressor.

I did find a compressor for a 2011 RVR on Ebay, with the model code QS90 (7813A4), but the seller has listed it as compatible with the 2.0L Auto Transmission model only.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this compressor would fit on my RVR (2.0L, 5MT), and if any of the later year model compressors would fit my vehicle? (say the 2015 models)
Old May 16, 2019, 03:35 PM

Hellllllo Everybody!

So a quick and final update for anyone else in the future whose in the same predicament

In the end I took a gamble and bought a A/C compressor from a 2013 RVR 2.0L Auto (MMC no. 7813A648, Model. QS90) as it was half the price and mileage of the 2011 RVR's compressor at $100 CDN.

The MMC No. of my old compressor does not match my New compressor however the Model Code (QS90) does match.

Just had it installed in the RVR and I'm now enjoying ice cold air conditioned.....air

Just in time for the summer!

TL : DR:

As long as the Model Code of the compressor matches, the A/C Compressor should be compatible between the different years

Last edited by GeorgeChadstana; May 16, 2019 at 04:08 PM.