Notices

CVT Failure

Old Oct 8, 2018, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
CVT Failure

So I think my CVT trans is going out.... I’m getting a shudder at lower RPM’s mainly that jerks the car. It is not as bad when in “manual mode” and using the paddle shifters. I’m always on point with fluids. CVT oil doesn’t smell burnt but I did have a burnt rubber smell today after running some errands. Going to take it in this week and see if it’s confirmed my trans going out. Car has 104k miles and I know these CVTs are a weak link unfortunately!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hamman
So I think my CVT trans is going out.... I’m getting a shudder at lower RPM’s mainly that jerks the car. It is not as bad when in “manual mode” and using the paddle shifters. I’m always on point with fluids. CVT oil doesn’t smell burnt but I did have a burnt rubber smell today after running some errands. Going to take it in this week and see if it’s confirmed my trans going out. Car has 104k miles and I know these CVTs are a weak link unfortunately!
Damn, sorry man. This is the main thing I'm scared of with the CVT's, I'm used to the noise (Lancer and Outlander Sport), but wonder about the long term reliability. Let us know how you make out.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuMyopic
Damn, sorry man. This is the main thing I'm scared of with the CVT's, I'm used to the noise (Lancer and Outlander Sport), but wonder about the long term reliability. Let us know how you make out.

Yeah we had to replace the transmission. Luckily the shop we took it to found a good replacement in Oregon for us. Apparently the “valve body” or something that is un-serviceable went out. The car was hiccupy and felt like the same as when a clutch is slipping. The new one came with a warranty too which is nice. We had some other small things done too but it all came out to about $4000.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Hamman

Yeah we had to replace the transmission. Luckily the shop we took it to found a good replacement in Oregon for us. Apparently the “valve body” or something that is un-serviceable went out. The car was hiccupy and felt like the same as when a clutch is slipping. The new one came with a warranty too which is nice. We had some other small things done too but it all came out to about $4000.
That hurts my feelings just looking at that number! At least the new one came with a warranty, but that's still bull**** at 100,000 miles. It's not even my car and that pisses me off, but what are you gonna do right?

Search this Thread