Notices

Driver Side Running/Brake Lights Issue

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver Side Running/Brake Lights Issue

Good day everyone, So im having issues with my running/brake light every time I start my car. My passenger side lights up like normal but the driver side is not and the only time you can get it to light up is when you pressed the brake or switch the headlight on, Any ideas what going? Im not certain that its the light because its working when you put the headlight ON or pressed the brake.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DhiJay23
Good day everyone, So im having issues with my running/brake light every time I start my car. My passenger side lights up like normal but the driver side is not and the only time you can get it to light up is when you pressed the brake or switch the headlight on, Any ideas what going? Im not certain that its the light because its working when you put the headlight ON or pressed the brake.
The diagnosis you gave is not entirely clear (at least to me). If your avatar features your own car than I suspect you have a GT model with automatic lights. If I understand your problem correctly in the "auto" mode one of your taillights does not light up at night but when you put it to "on" mode it works fine (the break light -more intense mode is not affected by this as the break light should only come on when you press the break pedal).
It seems to me that the problem could either be in the combination switch or in the light sensor to tail light wiring. You have to do some testing, if you have a multimeter it should not be too difficult.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
The diagnosis you gave is not entirely clear (at least to me). If your avatar features your own car than I suspect you have a GT model with automatic lights. If I understand your problem correctly in the "auto" mode one of your taillights does not light up at night but when you put it to "on" mode it works fine (the break light -more intense mode is not affected by this as the break light should only come on when you press the break pedal).
It seems to me that the problem could either be in the combination switch or in the light sensor to tail light wiring. You have to do some testing, if you have a multimeter it should not be too difficult.
Sorry for the unclear description. So let me start over.My issues is with the rear running lights. (these are the red lights lit up at night when the head lights are on). And they are also the same as the brake lights they just are dimmer when the brakes aren't pressed.

Well the problem is that the driver side running light does not light up. the brake light works when the brakes are pressed so i would assume since they are the same leds that the leds aren't burned out or the light damaged. During daytime the stalk is always switched OFF and obviously I dont have any rear light except when I pressed the brake but when I switch it to ON (that is when headlight is brighter and rear light are lit up) my driver side rear dont lights up but my passenger does but when I pressed brake the're both lights up. I might have to do some testing just like you said but hopefully my diagnosis make sense now. (English is not my native language so my apology)

Last edited by DhiJay23; Nov 15, 2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Do a real cheap test First >
Just remove the two screws to the housing and take a peek at its connectors.. Look for any corrosion or other possible issues and have someone activate the lights and depress the brakes while you stay back there to watch the lights function. Just to make sure it's something amiss with the connection or actually the LED bulbs themselves.

I haven't looked into the cost of those rear lights, but I believe it's self-contained and not serviceable by the end-user, so you may need to replace the whole thing if a bulb or circuit is defective...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

I would do the following test: I would remove the driver side tail light assembly. When you open the tail gate you see two screws facing the back of the car. Remove these two screws and gently pull the entire tail light towards the back of the car (do not turn while pulling and be ready for some resistance as you have to break the seal between the metal on the body of the car and the rubber on the tail light). Disconnect the tail light from the wiring harness and do the same thing with the passenger side tail light. Reconnect the passenger side tail light to the driver side harness and turn the lights on. If the light turns on fine then your driver side tail light is defective.If it does not turn on just like now then your wiring harness in the driver side is defective. Both can be fixed or examined but would take some time. Report back, which one is your scenario.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

The troubleshooting procedure is attached from the service and repair manual. Good luck with the diagnosis. It would be great if you had access to a scan tool. Some of them are dirt cheap and can pinpoint problems by reading the DTCs.
You must have a DTC (DTC B16A1 most likely indicating an open circuit).
If you need a taillight replacement I found one for $225 Canadian + shipping from QC to MB:
Left RVR Taillight
and another for $155 Canadian+ shipping
Left side RVR taillight
Attached Files

Last edited by AWCAWD; Nov 16, 2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Update
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:47 AM

I will. Thanks guys for all the assistance.
-------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: dont know what happen but for some reason my lights came back to life and all working again. Thank you guys again for taking time to give me some advise.

Last edited by DhiJay23; Nov 22, 2018 at 10:25 AM.