“Routine Maintenance Required” Light Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Routine Maintenance Required” Light Question

Hello all, some quick details before my question:

2015 Outlander Sport 2.4
45,270 miles

Bought new, all scheduled maintenance has been performed at dealership at all appropriate intervals

I am about 2,000 miles from my next scheduled oil change. The electronic display has always had some longer “7800 miles/ 8 months” message, no big deal.

TODAY, I started her up, and immediately was hit out of nowhere with a ROUTINE MAINTENANCE REQUIRED notification, and the mileage and months are both now just dashes.

MY QUESTION: Is this an electronic error of some kind, or is this the system’s way of communicating something isn’t right? I’ve never seen this notification before, and like I said, have kept all maintenance on the proper schedule up to this point?

Old Jan 6, 2019, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by steelhead
Hello all, some quick details before my question:

2015 Outlander Sport 2.4
45,270 miles

Bought new, all scheduled maintenance has been performed at dealership at all appropriate intervals

I am about 2,000 miles from my next scheduled oil change. The electronic display has always had some longer “7800 miles/ 8 months” message, no big deal.

TODAY, I started her up, and immediately was hit out of nowhere with a ROUTINE MAINTENANCE REQUIRED notification, and the mileage and months are both now just dashes.

MY QUESTION: Is this an electronic error of some kind, or is this the system’s way of communicating something isn’t right? I’ve never seen this notification before, and like I said, have kept all maintenance on the proper schedule up to this point?

the key word is "ROUTINE". its just a reminder to do service based on mileage.

" The sole function of Mitsubishi’s mileage-based reminder system is to remind the driver to take their car in for an oil change or other routine maintenance. The computer system tracks the engine miles from the time it was reset, and the light will trigger after a certain amount of miles add up. The owner has the ability to set the mileage intervals between the triggering of each maintenance light, depending on how the owner uses the vehicle, and under what conditions he or she drives."
Old Jan 6, 2019, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info, do you have any insight why it might go from showing thousands of miles and lots of months left to “SERVICE REQUIRED” overnight? That is what struck me as weird.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelhead
Thanks for the info, do you have any insight why it might go from showing thousands of miles and lots of months left to “SERVICE REQUIRED” overnight? That is what struck me as weird.
? ... Read the owner's manual - probably has your answer there.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
@ steelhead
Do a quick check of your motor oil level..
If your oil filter or oil drain plug wasn't tightened down proper from last service.. you may be very low on oil, which could trigger the "service require" notice.

PS: for future reference, when changing motor oil, you need to replace the crush washer off the drain plug to maintain a tight seal.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
For "petrolheads" this service reminder is rather an annoyance than help. I myself deactivated this warning at least five years ago since I do maintain my car myself. The system would check either the mileage or the elapsed time and long before either of those expire it begin the warning that your routine maintenance is due soon. I can speak of time because in my case not the mileage but the time limit came and that was the factor. It warned me one full month before the required time for oil change would have been due. I found it very annoying as at every start the warning comes off. And yes, the warning comes suddenly. To be exact, if I remember correctly even after the warning goes off it still displays the mileage until the maintenance is due, so it does not wind down the mileage overnight.
This warning is helpful only for negligent or ignorant drivers, who would not monitor their ride thoroughly. I would deactivate it if I were you and would rely on my own records.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 06:04 PM

And if you change your own oil, you should buy a Fumoto valve. I have used them on all my cars for years, I never have to replace my crush washers, and my hands never get oily.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSHO
And if you change your own oil, you should buy a Fumoto valve. I have used them on all my cars for years, I never have to replace my crush washers, and my hands never get oily.
i went with the Valvomax drain system ... less moving parts and even easier.
tube drains right into the optional 10L bag - cap it, and take to recycle.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 06:53 PM

That does look pretty good.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSHO
That does look pretty good.
haven't used it yet - installed on my car last oil change. gets installed on the wife's OS for its oil change pretty soon ...