Notices

5 speed rpm's while driving at highway speeds (60-70mph)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed rpm's while driving at highway speeds (60-70mph)

I am very curious if it's just my Oultander (2015 Outlander Sport SE 2wd 5speed) that does this but is it normal for my Outlander to be running at 2800 to 3000 rpm while in 5th gear going 60-70mph, me being a mechanic and all this seems very odd to me. In my opinion shouldnt the normal rpms be right around say 1900 to 2300 in 5th gear going 60 to 70mph. Please let me know cause I dont want to be putting my car through this if there's something wrong obviously or if this is standard for this car so be it (but very odd). Thank you for you time and your replys...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jmarion85
I am very curious if it's just my Oultander (2015 Outlander Sport SE 2wd 5speed) that does this but is it normal for my Outlander to be running at 2800 to 3000 rpm while in 5th gear going 60-70mph, me being a mechanic and all this seems very odd to me. In my opinion shouldnt the normal rpms be right around say 1900 to 2300 in 5th gear going 60 to 70mph. Please let me know cause I dont want to be putting my car through this if there's something wrong obviously or if this is standard for this car so be it (but very odd). Thank you for you time and your replys...
You are a mechanic so you must agree with me that the rpm at a certain speed is dependent on the gear ratio. Anything below 1 is overdrive. Lower the gear ratio lower your rpm will be at a given speed. Your 5 speed manual gear box has a gear ratio of 0.82 in the 5th gear (OS specs ). Those of us, who have CVTs, depending on the engine (2.0L or 2.4L and the year since the CVT has been changed see CVT specs ) this number is only: 0.378 or 0.394. So my 2.0L CVT equipped car runs at ~2000 rpm at 65 mph. It does make sense that your gear at much higher gear ratio runs at higher rpm at the same speed.
For comparison the 6 speed manual gear box available for European market on the 1.6L diesel models has a gear ratio in the 6th gear of 0.659 (specs).
For the full size Outlander with the 3.0L V6 engine and 6 speed automatic gearbox in 6th gear: 0.685 ( SPECS) For fuel economy it is imperative that this ratio is to be brought down.
In the BMW X1 (equipped with an 8 speed automatic) in the 8th gear the gear ratio is: 0.67 (specs)
In the Jeep Cherokee (equipped with a 9 speed automatic in the 8th gear (9th not available but expected to be lower): 0.58 (specs)
Ford-GM 10 speed automatic gear ratio in 10th gear: 0.64 (specs)
I guess by now you are getting it. Your 5 speed transmission is not really capable of providing low gear ratio and moving the vehicle in a dynamic fashion at the same time. It is way more agile than the same CVT equipped vehicles, so you have some benefits.
The above super low final gear ratio makes the CVT a great tool to improve fuel economy. (Honda and Toyota moved to CVTs is their crossovers, although 6 years ago they were both equipped with traditional automatic gearboxes).

Last edited by AWCAWD; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: update
Old Jan 10, 2019, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
You are a mechanic so you must agree with me that the rpm at a certain speed is dependent on the gear ratio. Anything below 1 is overdrive. Lower the gear ratio lower your rpm will be at a given speed. Your 5 speed manual gear box has a gear ratio of 0.82 in the 5th gear (OS specs ). Those of us, who have CVTs, depending on the engine (2.0L or 2.4L and the year since the CVT has been changed see CVT specs ) this number is only: 0.378 or 0.394. So my 2.0L CVT equipped car runs at ~2000 rpm at 65 mph. It does make sense that your gear at much higher gear ratio runs at higher rpm at the same speed.
For comparison the 6 speed manual gear box available for European market on the 1.6L diesel models has a gear ratio in the 6th gear of 0.659 (specs).
For the full size Outlander with the 3.0L V6 engine and 6 speed automatic gearbox in 6th gear: 0.685 ( SPECS) For fuel economy it is imperative that this ratio is to be brought down.
In the BMW X1 (equipped with an 8 speed automatic) in the 8th gear the gear ratio is: 0.67 (specs)
In the Jeep Cherokee (equipped with a 9 speed automatic in the 8th gear (9th not available but expected to be lower): 0.58 (specs)
Ford-GM 10 speed automatic gear ratio in 10th gear: 0.64 (specs)
I guess by now you are getting it. Your 5 speed transmission is not really capable of providing low gear ratio and moving the vehicle in a dynamic fashion at the same time. It is way more agile than the same CVT equipped vehicles, so you have some benefits.
The above super low final gear ratio makes the CVT a great tool to improve fuel economy. (Honda and Toyota moved to CVTs is their crossovers, although 6 years ago they were both equipped with traditional automatic gearboxes).
Wow thank you for the explanation, I really do appreciate it. Wasnt expecting so into detail but its welcomed, and answers my question and then some. So what I get from that is that its supposed to be like that for fuel economy purposes and/or emission purposes. And again thank you for the timely response and very detailed explanation..