Notices

Will turn signal side mirror work ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will turn signal side mirror work ?

I have a 2015 ES model that doesn't have the turn signal side mirrors. Since one of my mirrors got clipped, I was thinking of replacing it with a 2016 model that has the integrated turn signal on it. Will this work as a plug and play? Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2019, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Hello1199
I have a 2015 ES model that doesn't have the turn signal side mirrors. Since one of my mirrors got clipped, I was thinking of replacing it with a 2016 model that has the integrated turn signal on it. Will this work as a plug and play? Thanks
No, it will not work as a plug and play. The mirror wiring harnesses of your car contain only five wires at both ends. The ones that have turn signals integrated have seven and the ones that automatically fold contain nine. You can make it work by wiring the mirror turn signals to the side marker turn signals and voila, you will have functional turn signal in your mirror.
Check out these threads for reference and help:
How to - Door panel removal
Anyone want new side mirrors?
For someone else with a later year model it might work as I suspect the wiring is not specified for the trim level. So, if integrated turn signal was available in higher trim level on that particular model year of your car, it most likely work. The proof of the pudding is to check the door panel wiring harness and count the number of wires in it.

Last edited by AWCAWD; Jan 25, 2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: information added
Old May 26, 2019, 03:42 AM

@AWCAWD
Do you know if the automatic mirror retraction on locking the vehicle can be disabled? I like to have the ability to retract/extend on demand but not the automatic retraction.

.I have read the owners manual but I don't see a way for the owner to do it. Can the dealer do it?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2019, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DAF33
@AWCAWD
Do you know if the automatic mirror retraction on locking the vehicle can be disabled? I like to have the ability to retract/extend on demand but not the automatic retraction.

.I have read the owners manual but I don't see a way for the owner to do it. Can the dealer do it?

Thanks!
I do not know for sure. However, in a logical sense it should be done but only by programming the ETACS. It all boils down to what menu options this item (folding side mirrors) have in the particular program one uses (MUT III, Diagbox, ETACS Decoder etc.) If this is the only programming item you want to do I would start with the dealer or the developers of ETACS Decoder (ETACS DECODER FORUM).
Old May 26, 2019, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

@DAF33
Check out these threads in ED forum on programming folding mirrors.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:18 PM

Thank you, AWCAWD!

I'll check with the dealer at next service. I like the feature but for it to operate every time you lock/unlock the car is too much.
I see the wear and tear on the motor and hinges coming sooner than later.