Notices

Newish guy with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newish guy with some questions.

Hi All newish guy here. I’m new to this forum, but not to car forums, cars, or the OS. I’ve got a few questions for all of you though.

First some background. My wife, and I were one of the first people in RI to buy an Outlander Sport. We had been looking for a new car for her, and OS was the best option…it had the most options for the lowest price, and looked as if it would fit our needs perfectly. So we decided pre-production to wait for the OS, and I’m glad we did. Part of the deal between us was that I wasn’t allowed to Mod the OS. Well it is time to get her a bigger vehicle as kid #2 is on the way, and the OS is becoming mine…so let the modding begin.

Car: 2011 Outlander Sport SE 4wd.

Question #1: I have already purchased the Novline 35.25.020 skidplate for the car as one of the dealerships that serviced the OS, in a state we no longer live in, decided the underbelly tray was just unnecessary weight, and not needed…my question is has anyone installed one of these? The instructions are just a small picture with a bunch of callouts in Russian.

Question #2: The suspension is starting to show its age. I’d really like to replace it with an air suspension for a better ride…now I’m not talking air tanks and compressors, just an air strut that can be adjusted via Schrader valve. Does anyone know of system made for the OS or is this going to be custom?

Question #3: Is there anyway to keep the fog lights on with the high beams? I’ve seen some threads on this, but it is just people arguing about the legality of it. My other cars are setup this way, and I pass my annual inspection no-problem…I live in the country with lots of animals, and would like as much forward light as I can get…plus if my high beams are on, there aren’t any cars around to blind anyway. I saw something about re-programming the computer in the car…is there a thread somewhere that talks about the program and how to use it? I did this same thing to my Focus using a software program, but it took about 5-7 hours of reading across several different forums to learn how to use it properly.

Question #4: The OS is due for its 90K service. I know that it needs oil & filter, trans fluid, diffs, and transfer case fluids…but is there anything else that I should be having done…I don’t think the computers have ever been updated, is it worth paying the dealer to flash the latest software onto the ECM,TCM, Radio…?

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 08:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Welcome Aboard. Im an EvO owner so not familiar w/the OS

This OS forum has been very active so im sure you will get some replies

Joe
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome to our community!
Originally Posted by jblount
Hi All newish guy here. I’m new to this forum, but not to car forums, cars, or the OS. I’ve got a few questions for all of you though.

First some background. .....

Car: 2011 Outlander Sport SE 4wd.

Question #3: Is there anyway to keep the fog lights on with the high beams? I’ve seen some threads on this, but it is just people arguing about the legality of it. My other cars are setup this way, and I pass my annual inspection no-problem…I live in the country with lots of animals, and would like as much forward light as I can get…plus if my high beams are on, there aren’t any cars around to blind anyway. I saw something about re-programming the computer in the car…is there a thread somewhere that talks about the program and how to use it? I did this same thing to my Focus using a software program, but it took about 5-7 hours of reading across several different forums to learn how to use it properly.
There are many ways to do them:
1. Program your ETACS to enable fog lights with any light on. This would require either somebody's help (near your location), who has the proper program and interface (the community is growing)
Registered members on ETACS Decoder forum
or purchasing the proper interface, installing the program (either ETACS DECODER or DIAGBOX) and learning how to program the ETACS (this requires a great deal of time to invest and discipline as you can harm you vehicle with incorrect programming)
ETACS options customizations
Free replacement of ETACS Decoder
ETACS Decoder Forum
I have been using DIAGBOX with the no longer recommended ACTIA interface without any problems but I admit the learning process is challenging. If you go along any path DO NOT EXPERIMENT, only do the true and tried programming steps.
2. You can hardwire your fog lights with various ways. Mine is done in association with DRLs (so I have fog lights night and day with different intensity)
Fog lights?
Can fog light switch set to auto on?
see post #12 here
Some additional relevant info on this topic:
Info on fog lights

Question #4: The OS is due for its 90K service. I know that it needs oil & filter, trans fluid, diffs, and transfer case fluids…but is there anything else that I should be having done…I don’t think the computers have ever been updated, is it worth paying the dealer to flash the latest software onto the ECM,TCM, Radio…?

Thanks.
You may wish to perform a CVT fluid change
navigate to post #9 and watch the video

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jblount (Apr 17, 2019)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Question #4: The OS is due for its 90K service. I know that it needs oil & filter, trans fluid, diffs, and transfer case fluids…but is there anything else that I should be having done…
depending on when they were done last .... coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, clean MAF and throttle body ...