EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Outlander Sport (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport-335/)
-   -   CVT Maintenance - Before and After fluid change (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport/659457-cvt-maintenance-before-after-fluid-change.html)

Outie11 May 30, 2013 08:52 AM

CVT Maintenance - Before and After fluid change

At 28,877 miles my transmission started making the infamous whining noise at 3,000 RPM under load. I searched around and found that the fluid would likely solve the problem, and it did. I just wanted to put together a list of other things that it also solved to not only show the difference, but to also show some signs and indicators that it may be time to change the Mitsubishi fluid.

First and foremost, if you are going to perform the service yourself, the part number for the DiaQueen J4 fluid is MZ320185.

Side note: simply looking at the fluid and smelling it to check if it smells "burned" does not work with CVT fluid as it does with conventional transmission fluid. CVT fluid will look and smell new even well after it needs to be changed. There aren't nearly as many clutch packs in a Cvt trans to discolor it or burn it, so these "tests" should not be used to determine if the fluid is good. Apparently, our CVT's TCM has what is called a "degradation number." This number is generated by a host of sensors in the transmission that monitors the condition of the friction material and the coolant properties in the fluid and tells the service tech when it's time to change it. Sadly, Mitsubishi does not use or obtain this number from the TCM frequently so if you experience any symptoms below, have it changed.

Whining - the whining in my transmission sounded like a high pitch mechanical whine. You can youtube "CVT Whine" to get an idea of the actual sound, but mine was much more muted. After the fluid change, there is no more whining sound. The sound comes from the old fluid not being able to cool the internals of the transmission properly. All CVTs do have SOME whine, but when it gets louder and you can distinctly hear it, its about time to have the fluid changed. If left unchanged, you run the possibility of overheating the transmission which could lead to other issues.

Torque Converter lock up and disengage - As you have probably felt by now, the torque converter locks up and unlocks at various points during normal operation. Probably the most noticeable is the torque converter unlocking while slowing down or coming to a complete stop. As the old fluid wears down, this happens much more aggressively causing jerkiness and odd sensations throughout the vehicle. Please not that while this isnt an indicator of old fluid needing to be replaced as it happens most commonly during low speed driving (such as driving in stop and go traffic), it IS an indicator when it happens every time the vehicle is brought to a complete stop, no matter the driving style. The fluid change smoothed this operation considerably and it no longer jerks or makes odd sensations when braking.

Delay between D and R gates - After the fluid change, there is still a delay when shifting from drive to reverse, such as when parallel parking. This is normal for CVTs and does not necessarily indicate worn fluid.

I hope this helps. Dont forget to use the search function, but I wanted to put as much information as possible into one thread as I know there are people out there that are new to CVT's and this forum.

Burtonrider1002 May 30, 2013 10:59 AM

Great thread! Reserved for when I get home, I'll add in a bunch of stuff about how CVT's work

mRVRsport May 30, 2013 09:12 PM

Nice thread.
Good info for future reference.

Sub'd

Rick B Apr 2, 2019 11:14 AM

How can I find the torque specs for the transmission pan bolts?

dinesha sarakhe Apr 11, 2019 09:24 PM

CVTF J1 vs J4

Hello,

Myself Dinesh and I am staying in Oman. I was going through your article of CVT maintenance. It is very much informative and knowledgeable.

For my Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 model run at 90k KM, I was planning to do service for my Automatic transmission, so I went to Mitsubishi Genuine accessories and asked for Mitsubishi CVT oil.

I told them I need CVTF J4 oil, since it is recommemded on my car ATF level dip stick. But the person told me CVTF J1 (S0001610) is also equivalent and I can use for my car.

My question is, is.there really any difference between these fluid grades??

Shall I aceept his proposal for using CVTF J1(S0001610) oil ??
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...be7bfe3901.jpg

Originally Posted by Outie11 (Post 10828183)
At 28,877 miles my transmission started making the infamous whining noise at 3,000 RPM under load. I searched around and found that the fluid would likely solve the problem, and it did. I just wanted to put together a list of other things that it also solved to not only show the difference, but to also show some signs and indicators that it may be time to change the Mitsubishi fluid.

First and foremost, if you are going to perform the service yourself, the part number for the DiaQueen J4 fluid is MZ320185.

Side note: simply looking at the fluid and smelling it to check if it smells "burned" does not work with CVT fluid as it does with conventional transmission fluid. CVT fluid will look and smell new even well after it needs to be changed. There aren't nearly as many clutch packs in a Cvt trans to discolor it or burn it, so these "tests" should not be used to determine if the fluid is good. Apparently, our CVT's TCM has what is called a "degradation number." This number is generated by a host of sensors in the transmission that monitors the condition of the friction material and the coolant properties in the fluid and tells the service tech when it's time to change it. Sadly, Mitsubishi does not use or obtain this number from the TCM frequently so if you experience any symptoms below, have it changed.

Whining - the whining in my transmission sounded like a high pitch mechanical whine. You can youtube "CVT Whine" to get an idea of the actual sound, but mine was much more muted. After the fluid change, there is no more whining sound. The sound comes from the old fluid not being able to cool the internals of the transmission properly. All CVTs do have SOME whine, but when it gets louder and you can distinctly hear it, its about time to have the fluid changed. If left unchanged, you run the possibility of overheating the transmission which could lead to other issues.

Torque Converter lock up and disengage - As you have probably felt by now, the torque converter locks up and unlocks at various points during normal operation. Probably the most noticeable is the torque converter unlocking while slowing down or coming to a complete stop. As the old fluid wears down, this happens much more aggressively causing jerkiness and odd sensations throughout the vehicle. Please not that while this isnt an indicator of old fluid needing to be replaced as it happens most commonly during low speed driving (such as driving in stop and go traffic), it IS an indicator when it happens every time the vehicle is brought to a complete stop, no matter the driving style. The fluid change smoothed this operation considerably and it no longer jerks or makes odd sensations when braking.

Delay between D and R gates - After the fluid change, there is still a delay when shifting from drive to reverse, such as when parallel parking. This is normal for CVTs and does not necessarily indicate worn fluid.

I hope this helps. Dont forget to use the search function, but I wanted to put as much information as possible into one thread as I know there are people out there that are new to CVT's and this forum.

ceav88 Jun 14, 2019 03:55 PM

Could I use another brand of CVTF J4 oil?? like Valvoline, Kendal, etc on the OS 2015 ES?