EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Outlander Sport (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport-335/)
-   -   Bumper removal 2014 Outlander (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport/698077-bumper-removal-2014-outlander.html)

Krakker Aug 23, 2014 09:13 PM

Bumper removal 2014 Outlander

5 Attachment(s)
This is for the Big "O" but will most likely be the same as the OS.
To start off, the wife was backing out of our drive, and watching the cam instead of how close she was to the raised sidewalk of our neighbors property, she ended up "molding" the lower bumper section right along the edge. Argh!!!! Wasn't even plated yet..... Oh well.
Pics will show where the clips and tabs are, but this is pretty much a cake walk. There's just 2 bolts, one on each side of the lower grill opening to take out. they are 10mm and only require a long socket or a short extension.
EVERYTHING ELSE to take off the bumper is a pop screw. You don't need to take off the wheels, but you have 1 pop screw that fits in a pocket near the seam where the bumper meets the fender.

Step one: place the vehicle on ramps and prop the hood. (this will help you see and "finagle" the pop screws out.

Step two: using a small flat head screwdriver, start pulling up the center of the pop screws of the intake, the front engine trim cover and the upper grill assembly. (there are three white plastic ones for the bottom of the upper grill that just need a pry with the screwdriver and they come out with the grill.

Step Three: Just follow the profile of the bumper and remove all the pop screws and then the two 10mm bolts from each side of the lower grill area.
The best way to remove the bumper now is to pull outward and a "little" up from each wheel well area. Watch as you pull near the body seam, you'll get probably 2 of the plastic tabs to pull or pop a bit, I had to use the small screwdriver to push the tab enough to release it.

Step Four: The fog lights come with the bumper, there is a small white push clip that holds the connector, you can use the screwdriver or pliers to help release it fro the core support, then you can grip it and it unplugs pretty easy. No special gizmoze to undo it.

Step Five: pull up the bumper in the middle and away from the front of the vehicle. Ta Da,,,, it's off.
NOW is a good time to replace the cheezy stock horns while its off. :) OK, on to some pics. I'll try and see if I can get a vid, but I'm NOT video savy......

Krakker Aug 23, 2014 09:22 PM

Now that the bumper is off, I was able to use a heat gun to soften the plastic and pop it back into position, as well as re-shape the lower tray that the bumper warped when it was shaved by the concrete sidewalk. Now I'll work on sanding the plastic back to smooth and see if some plastidip will help cover the blemish.

(if anyone knows how to add a video, LMK. I'll try and make one of the re-install)

mRVRsport Aug 23, 2014 09:55 PM

Dang...
I'm sorry to see that.
Bet the wife wasn't feeling all that spiffy neither.
But, honestly it's not that bad.. Especially for a master machinists such as yourself. :thumbup:

Well, at least it gave you a chance to remove the whole bumper skin!
Thank you very much for sharing the dismantling process.

Now I just need to figure out how to "brace" my custom BullBar to the front subframe without cutting any holes through the stock bumper skin. :beer: :updown:

NOTE: To post a video - just upload it to Youtube (create an account) - and once it's uploaded to your YT, all you have to do is copy&paste it's URL to this thread (and this forum's server will auto-set the video stream.)

paleblue46 Aug 24, 2014 05:06 AM

I feel your pain man , at least with ours it is a insurance deal and I dont have to do the repair.
Nice right up on bumper removing .

Krakker Aug 24, 2014 05:02 PM

Thanks Ya'll. I didn't let her get too down about it and told her I'd fix it to where you wouldn't notice unless you were trying to find it.
On a side note, I did drive to Kansas today and picked up a set of 19's with almost new 245/35/19's for the Sonata. I'm gonna do some rim paint work and then use my 18's off the Nata to put some snow tires on. That way the wifes got some summer and winter shoes.

I was in a hurry to get going to pick them up, so I didn't get any video of the install, but I might do it again soon anyway so I can upgrade the horns. (they suck) sorry if that offends anyone.

Still tho, the bumper removal was super easy. Cant believe it's all just held in place with those little pop screws.

paleblue46 Aug 24, 2014 06:57 PM

Not offending me , I agree with you ....the OS is the same ...kind of a gentle 'scuse me instead of a GET THE HELL OUTTA THE WAY...lol been thinking about an air horn set up for mine, but the space for a tank and compressor inside just isn't there for me . I'm looking for a good set of replacements .
Post up wheel pics when you can