EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Outlander Sport (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport-335/)
-   -   Lousy Headlights?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/outlander-sport/730984-lousy-headlights.html)

CottageLifer Jul 12, 2016 02:51 PM

Lousy Headlights??

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/12/autos/suv-headlights/ Really? My 11 RVR head lamps are pretty awesome. Better than any other car I've had (except for SAAB that had e-Code headlamps x4)

Nast_Nas Jul 12, 2016 03:15 PM

Lol. I can bet that most of these cars they tested with halogens lol. I can guarantee all of those cars have an oem projector option. Oem halogens are crap to begin with lol projectors over halogens any day.

mRVRsport Jul 12, 2016 08:11 PM

That's why Xenon HID headlights (option) are so important to us.
I would never buy another vehicle without having HIDs.

Burtonrider1002 Jul 13, 2016 04:00 AM

It looks like they were fairly thorough in their assessment.

Here is the source article from IIHS.

Here is the in-depth portion relating to the OS.

First of all, it really sucks that :mitsu: now only offers the HID's on the GT trim. To be completely honest I'd like to see NHTSA mandate projectors at minimum (because reflectors just SUCK), so to me a manufacturer restricting a SAFETY feature to a higher trim is despicable.

Second, I'm surprised even the GT did poorly in the test. I am quite happy with my "S-HID" projectors. I can't really say there has ever been a time where I've thought they weren't more than sufficient.

wildarmsx Jul 13, 2016 06:26 AM

I think IIHS should open there eye the next time they do this test, maybe they will see how good the S-HID really are. These are some of the best HID i have seen especially with it wide coverage, i just read the article and it stated that the side visibility was poor... this is where i ask if they opened there eye's cause the S-HID projectors push light to the side far better then most high end car i have compared it to. I have compare our lights to some of my friends cars (GTI, C300, 3 Series, M350) all with HID and none had the wide coverage as us :D

Well strike IIHS off my list as a creditable resource of information.

AWCAWD Jul 13, 2016 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002 (Post 11639817)
It looks like they were fairly thorough in their assessment.

Here is the source article from IIHS.

Here is the in-depth portion relating to the OS.

First of all, it really sucks that :mitsu: now only offers the HID's on the GT trim. To be completely honest I'd like to see NHTSA mandate projectors at minimum (because reflectors just SUCK), so to me a manufacturer restricting a SAFETY feature to a higher trim is despicable.

Second, I'm surprised even the GT did poorly in the test. I am quite happy with my "S-HID" projectors. I can't really say there has ever been a time where I've thought they weren't more than sufficient.

Thanks for posting the links for this interesting test. It appears (not from the verbal comments but from comparing the charts themselves) that the HID equipped model of the OS did only marginally better than the ES model.
After reading the test criteria one thing bothered me a lot. IIHS claims: "Headlights are tested as received from the dealer. Although many headlight problems could be resolved by adjusting the aim of the lamps, IIHS doesn't change headlight aim. Few vehicle owners adjust the vertical aim of their headlights, so leaving the aim the way it was set at the factory makes the testing more realistic."
I was wondering for example why did the CX-3 did better than CX-5? Did the particular dealer accidentally adjusted the level to a higher setting? I seriously think that this overlooked variable puts a serious dent on the otherwise very brilliant test. The HID equipped OS has some 4 settings by just turning a knob on the dashboard.
What if next time the brakes will be tested and if the tire pressure is not adequate they simply perform the tests anyhow (the way the vehicle was delivered by the dealer).
Do not change the radio channel because this is how it was delivered by the dealer (you can only listen one channel for the entire lifetime of the vehicle).

j3bnl Jul 25, 2016 07:55 AM

Would totally disregard this review, did they even test the HID version?
Both my wife's and my ASX have the HID lights as standard spec.
They are the best I've had on any car and most people I've taken to and from work in the dark comment on how good they are.