Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Portland E85 and injector tip gunk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first got Aarons 2150s, they worked flawlessly. In fact, the night they wrecked me, they did just fine for a few pulls. It seemed out of nowhere the buildup got the best of me. If the inector completely shut off, that would have been fine, I would have been on 3 cylinders (hurah for the Subie rumble!) and it would have been a matter of cleaning the injectors.

Cylinder 4 went wayyyyyy lean (kept spraying fuel, but not enough to keep the AFR rish enough and the EGTs cool) and melted a large hole in my head and put a couple divots in my block while destroying the head gasket. Luckily, my head and block are salvageable, but by no means was a it cheap and easy fix.

Keep an eye on your injectors, guys.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

wow, that short story gives me the creeps. I am now gonna make it a routine to check my injector tips more often. kinda of an eye opener on E85 use, good info

Last edited by EvoFredo; Dec 12, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:16 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
That sucks! Well I can say that even with the build-up in the above pic I have had the injectors out several times and have *not* seen even a little bit of build-up on them. However, on the intake manifold, directly across and downstream from the injector (right where it would be spraying) the gunk begins. Yuck.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Have any of you guys tried this?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
I can't help but think of that stuff as snake oil. Maybe we can get English to put a set of crapped up injectors on their flow bunch and run some fuel with this stuff in it through the injectors.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Man, all this talk of injector gunk makes me want to go back to pump gas exclusively
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

here is my experience...from the beginning. I switched to e-85 and new injectors on stock turbo, then a month later upgraded the turbo and injectors again. At this time i noticed my new injectors were gunked up after only a month of use ( maybe 1000 miles max). so after i swapped in the new injectors/turbo i decided to keep an eye on them, so every few weeks i would pull them and inspect. did this 4 or 5 times within 4 months and every time they would have gunk built up in the tip. I was only filling up twice a month at most. clean tank and new fuel pump/sock. So i started filling up cans and filtering them before i filled my tank, this did nothing. Sometime while this was going on i did an EGR delete, this made a significant difference as they have been noticeably less gunked. I believe the issue is related to oil vapors entering the manifold..end of story. I am going to delete the pcv and see how that works.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

This issue is also not just limited to the PNW, it has happened in other parts of the country like Colorado and Florida. If anyone remembers goad_white03 that moved to Florida not too long ago, a Evo buddy of his had a similar incident to 4thstroke's, but he lifted his head, torched the head gasket, put a groove in the head and blew apart part of his radiator.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think I'll have to have a 2nd map for pump and make sure to switch once a month or so.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:12 AM

Since everyone loves carnage pictures...

Last edited by 4thStroke; Dec 26, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm thinking of trying this stuff if I start getting rough cold starts again:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:27 PM

Sometime while this was going on i did an EGR delete, this made a significant difference as they have been noticeably less gunked. I believe the issue is related to oil vapors entering the manifold..end of story.
I really hope all of you running E-85 have no egr or pcv if you do you need to do well its a known fact that oil vapors and E-85 dont mix well.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I'm thinking of trying this stuff if I start getting rough cold starts again:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx
^+1
I'm assuming if you let your car sit for awhile as opposed to DD, E85 could separate from the gasoline and degrade. This product would be great for weekend warriors. I DD mine, but I still will get this product. Thanks mrfred!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

i have came to learn something this week, that the black stuff on the tip of the feul injectors might actually be the E85 eating away at the rubber fuel lines. i was informed that the fuel lines needed to be changed in order for that not to happen when you run e85. parentally they had this issue in the Subaru community and it was fixed by replacing the rubber fuel lines with metal ones. don't know how tru this statement is but it is worth a shot!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ILoveAWD
i have came to learn something this week, that the black stuff on the tip of the feul injectors might actually be the E85 eating away at the rubber fuel lines. i was informed that the fuel lines needed to be changed in order for that not to happen when you run e85. parentally they had this issue in the Subaru community and it was fixed by replacing the rubber fuel lines with metal ones. don't know how tru this statement is but it is worth a shot!
There's no evidence on Evos of rubber fuel lines being eaten away by ethanol. razorlab did a complete teardown of his fuel system after several years of running E85, and everything was prestine. In addition, I had zero problems with gunk buildup when I was in the Tri-Cities.

Quick Reply: Portland E85 and injector tip gunk