Notices
Paint and Detailing Discuss topics related to car paint (interior or exterior) and detailing (techniques, products, etc.).

Vehicle wrap

Old May 27, 2015, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle wrap

so my car is a few years old now *tear and the paint is showing some wear from rocks, dings, and scratches. I wanted to get a vehicle wrap or maybe a clear film to protect the hood. Part of me is thinking of getting one of these "matte" or flat looking wraps: http://1stimpressions.com/images/por...tomwrap-lg.jpg

But I am not sure of the cost and time it takes to install them. Does anyone have any info on the application of these?

I like the idea of it being a giant protective'ish sticker, and the grey matte in comparison to my current gun metal color would look really clean, and match my rims for the most part. But $$$? lol

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!
Old May 27, 2015, 02:04 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
To do it right, you're looking at around $2,000 and up. That includes removal of the bumpers, door handles, side mirrors, etc for a seamless install including the roof.

You can always spend $500 and do it yourself, but it depends on how important the quality is to you. A high quality 3M wrap can last 3-5 years if maintained and protect the paint (where needed).
Old May 27, 2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Damn 2000$! that is pricey for a quick modification, but cheaper than a new paint job, I suppose.

Wonder if I could just get a partial wrap installed (even if its clear) to the front panels and hood?

or if these would just be good enough at a fraction of the price (then maybe pay for a proper install): http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/

Thanks for bearing with me, brainstorming/thinking out loud
Old May 27, 2015, 08:20 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Jump on google and email a few places, out here near SF there are places that will do partial wraps for less money. I cannot speak to the materials if you wanted to give them your own wrap though.