Notices
Paint and Detailing Discuss topics related to car paint (interior or exterior) and detailing (techniques, products, etc.).

Review: Chipfixx.ca paint chip repair kit (Phantom Black)

Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Chipfixx.ca paint chip repair kit (Phantom Black)

Update: Chipfixx got back to me and they are sending me some new paint, hopefully with more flake in it this time.

SUMMARY: Just use the OEM touchup paint carefully, it will look better.

I'm not a detailing expert, and have little to no experience touching up paint so please keep that in mind as you read this. Perhaps you can bestow some sage advice

Hi All,

I'm not sure how many of you are from Canada, but if you are you'll know that Dr. Colorchip was recalled and therefore sort of banned for sale in Canada due to a labeling requirement.

Since I daily drive my '14 Phantom black GSR, and live in a city that uses an overabundant amount of rocks and gravel in the winter time... my car had some rock chips in the places I don't have XPEL film (the doors, the roof, upper portion of the hood).

After searching for the next best thing, I stumbled upon Chipfixx.ca. They sell a kit which works similarly to the DCC kit.

I suspect that these kits are nothing more than rations taken from a professional Applied Colors kit. I'll explain why later on.

The Process: 8/10
  • Apply the paint
  • Let it dry
  • Level it/wipe off excess with the levelling solution

The process is simple and appears to work really well for small superficial chips. I had limited success with deeper chips. What I did notice is that there is a sort of hologram left over if you had any excess paint on the chip. By this I mean if you accidentally (oops) put a large blob of paint on the chip and let it dry - a faint outline of that blob remains on the car after wiping. I think maybe I left the paint on for too long.

As with many other systems, if you apply too much pressure or don't wait long enough, you'll pull the paint right out of the chip.

Color matching: 0/10

This is the main reason I suspect that chipfixx resells supplies from Applied Colors. Applied colors has a bunch of paint chips, and the detailer is supposed to match and find the closest color. They have black, and black with pearls but sure as hell no black paint with gold + red + magic flake that the PB has. They mention it is "custom mixed paint" but I'm not sure how custom it really is.

I knew from the get-go that the paint wasn't an exact match, but decided to see how it would look anyways.

The paint I got had some resemblance of flake, but it appeared silver in color and was almost non-existent after application. Exhibit A:

Note the shimmer/flake. Hard to see in this photo, but it's there!

The chipfixx paint (even after drying completely) looks like this. Black. And just black.

Scratch to be fixed:

After chipfixx:

Yuck

I tried to give the OEM paint a go on another chip, and even after 1 coat I was impressed with the results. I know once I apply the clear coat I'll have a blob. But I was thinking I may be able to use the Langka kit or something similar on those. The proper way would be to wetsand the blob down and polish everything, but I'm a bit nervous to be taking sandpaper to my car since I have little to no experience.

Flake is present, and the color matches.

Other thoughts

-They give you a very small amount of the leveling fluid so I ran out (I did multiple chips). It would be awesome if I could figure out what this stuff is. I assume it's just some sort of lacquer thinner. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a mass spectrometer. I wonder if the leveling solution would work OK on the OEM touchup paint.

-Not sure if Doctor Colorchip is any better on the Phantom Black Paint.

-I'm contacting chipfixx, as they apparently are able to help you out somehow with color mismatches...

Hopefully someone found this useful. Again, for Phantom Black I'd just stick with the OEM touchup paint (but for God's sake DONT USE THE FELT PEN, squirt that **** out into a plastic cap and use a toothpick to apply it!)

Last edited by b00stadd1ct; Jul 20, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reached out to chipfixx, and they are willing to send me some new paint. They plan to add more flake this time. I'll keep you updated!