EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-aftermarket-forced-induction-tech-111/)
-   -   CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build: Phase 2 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-aftermarket-forced-induction-tech/567873-cranswicks-4g69-build-phase-2-a.html)

RalliartN Mar 29, 2016 08:28 AM

Thats way more room than I've got. Now you guys do the right thing and build your pits using the plans I posted previously {thumbup}

CrAnSwIcK Mar 29, 2016 12:43 PM

I think mine had a pit, but it's all gilled in with sand, wasn't very big is it was one...

CrAnSwIcK Jun 21, 2016 02:24 AM

well, well, well....

So after about 8 months of running wastegate pressure with a tune intentionally flooded with fuel as a fail safe, I recently hooked up a new wideband harness so I could start over tuning the car, and bringing the boost back up, and I may have found out why my motor exploded...When the motor blew, my wideband was not working, but the tune was solid, and I continued to run it with water/alcohol injection...since installing the new motor, I have been running wastegate pressure ~7psi, and with no alcohol injection.

So, yesterday, I filled up my reservoir with a 50/50 mix of methyl hydrate and deionized water, and made a startling discovery. My meth pump doesn't work...I tripped the pressure switch, and nothing happens...so it stands to reason, that the pump failed while running 18psi of boost on pump gas causing catastrophic detonation of the number 4 cylinder...more to follow as I investigate why the pump won't kick on.

bakuro117 Jun 21, 2016 07:00 AM

bad switch you think? or bad pump?

glad to see your turning the boost back up though. You gunna go for 18 again or find a safe balance somewhere?

CrAnSwIcK Jun 21, 2016 03:24 PM

Time will tell...I'll probably bring it back up around 14psi and enjoy it until I make the switch to an Evo...now that Evo 7's are being imported into Canada, I'll probably pick one up when the Mazda's paid off and swap it in a rolling Evo 8 chassis...the LHD RS2 is far too rare to be cost effective...swapping and registering a usdm vin will cost much less.

bakuro117 Sep 27, 2017 02:56 PM

I just sifted through this thread again. So much good info here. Makes me wish I wouldve finished turbo'ing my RA. Im still kicking myself for selling that thing... Just makes it worse having to see it around town still and it getting riced out... :/

rzrxn Sep 29, 2017 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117 (Post 11774786)
I just sifted through this thread again. So much good info here. Makes me wish I wouldve finished turbo'ing my RA. Im still kicking myself for selling that thing... Just makes it worse having to see it around town still and it getting riced out... :/

LOL! funny how i literally just finished reading through the whole thread again too haha! cheers man! mine has been dead for more than a year but i still have it sitting on my driveway. reading through our adventures here together, im so motivated to get back at it and revive my RA!!! :mitsu::mitsu::mitsu::mitsu::mitsu:

CrAnSwIcK Sep 30, 2017 09:42 PM

thanks for the bump guys, I actually just noticed that photobucket canned all my images...I looked into it, and they want $400 annually for 3rd party hosting...that just made a lot of my posts pointless, lol

bakuro117 Oct 2, 2017 06:40 AM

Yea... Photobucket is off their rocker. I need to find a new image hosting site, or just start uploading pics to forums I guess. But there are plugins for Firefox and Chrome that let them work again. That's what I've been using.
Here is the Chrome fix

So any news on the car? You done anything to it lately?

Jay Fed Mar 18, 2021 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 11511523)
Well, well, well...Turns out the 20g compressor at 16psi was just too much for my engine :p I went out with a bang, and a very thick cloud of oil smoke.

Cause of failure is unclear...probably either detonation, metal fatigue or oil starvation...I recovered several tiny pieces of piston, rod, and crank case off the road around the oil slick it left behind...it looks like only cylinder 4 failed. dissection and inspection of the motor will come after I get the new one installed and running.

I have a replacement engine on a stand in the garage that I just finished installing the water pump and timing belt on...

Pictures to follow.

this is strange. I have blown 3× 4g69s at various levels of medium boost builds on oem internals. Great tunes but pushed the limits of parts by hitting the max power, oem parts will take before exploding with out detonating.. all 3 had #4 cyl failures. 1st, blew a #4 ring land, 2nd spun a #4 bearing and the 3rd sent the #4 rod out fowards blowing the front balance shaft right out of the block

starrwagon21 Sep 1, 2021 12:37 PM

Are you still building these manifolds if so I’d be interested in one, I wanna turbo my ralliart wagon

CrAnSwIcK Sep 2, 2021 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by starrwagon21 (Post 11940477)
Are you still building these manifolds if so I’d be interested in one, I wanna turbo my ralliart wagon

I'm definitely looking at making some copies of my kit...not sure how soon I'll be tooled up for it, but it's something I should have done years ago for sure.