EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Canadian Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/canadian-forum-63/)
-   -   Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/canadian-forum/29992-importing-evo-into-canada-merged-because-dan-such-swell-dude.html)

osunick May 31, 2005 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by alleggerita
Not quite true. If you are a Canadian Resident it is against customs regulation to drive a non-Canadian registered car without paying duty or posting a bond on Canadian soil and it makes the vehicle subject to seizure. This is different if you are also a resident where the vehicle is registered but it can still create hassles at the border.

The only legal way (other than being a US resident) at this point to bring an EVO in at this point in time is either on a time-limited permit (eg diplomats, manufacturer) or as a race and off-road vehicle only (cannot be road registered).

Sorry, I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was responding to atropos, and meant to say that US residents can drive their Evos into Canada as visitors without any problems whatsoever. When I put in that blurb about registering and insuring, I was alluding to the larger problem for canadians without going into it, since as a US resident I know nothing about it other than the fact that it seems to be nearly impossible for Canadian residents to own an Evo.

Dalewantsevo! Jul 30, 2005 10:30 AM

I live in Leth, AB and just last week I seen an evo with Ont! plates he was in our car show! Hmmmmmmmmmm? How can I get an Evo!? I will figure it out! The easiest cheapest! ON A MISSION!

Danno Aug 2, 2005 05:10 AM

There are the odd few (5ish) people that somehow slipped under the wire, I think they bought and registered before the vehicle was deamed inadmissable and were then grandfather claused.

Other then that there is 2 options.

1: The vehicle had dealer plates on it.
2: The vehicle was allowed in Canada for show and/or track purposes and the only street driving time that is allowed is to and from shows and races.

Your pretty much SOL for getting one here althought I think its almost the 15 year mark for the first gen Evos. Once that hits you can bring one of those.

2ndgengsx Oct 1, 2006 07:21 PM

I was thinking what if you brought an evo body in from the us without enigne and transmission and take some other parts out, put the car back together in canada and register it as a kit car? Has anyone thought of this yet?

bullet002 Oct 13, 2006 09:25 PM

RIV doesn't really allow 'kit cars' to be imported into Canada...good luck getting it registered

2ndgengsx Nov 16, 2006 10:09 AM

What if you imported a salvaged evo. which is allowed. And then you built the evo and registered it as a kit car. I know of a 1997 JDM STI in toronto that did the same thing. So would this work?

Go_Lancer_Go Aug 1, 2007 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2ndgengsx (Post 3677339)
What if you imported a salvaged evo. which is allowed. And then you built the evo and registered it as a kit car. I know of a 1997 JDM STI in toronto that did the same thing. So would this work?

bumpin an old thread...

would this be allowed?

veightkiller Aug 7, 2007 07:51 PM

im also interested on this one.

akira2_03 Aug 21, 2007 08:58 AM

im scared to do it too but if i ever did... it just means i got to keep the evo my whole life.... i think i could handle that

Go_Lancer_Go Aug 21, 2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by akira2_03 (Post 4663596)
im scared to do it too but if i do it just means i got to keep the evo my whole life.... i think i can handle that

true im not sure a evo is worth going to jail for...

ambystom01 Aug 21, 2007 11:02 AM

I doubt it's legal.

akira2_03 Aug 21, 2007 01:24 PM

well no its not legal. its illegal but lots of people have done it. im not telling anyone to do it im just saying that is one way of getting a evo in canada. but if caught or found out there will be a huge fine, car deported, and possible jail time.

ambystom01 Aug 21, 2007 02:00 PM

Well lets keep this discussion on legal ways, I rather not have to delete posts and such.

Go_Lancer_Go Aug 21, 2007 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01 (Post 4664779)
Well lets keep this discussion on legal ways, I rather not have to delete posts and such.

good call :D

FatTony001 Aug 24, 2007 09:48 PM

all right, I got one for you guys...

I'am canadian but have a US residence...

I buy the Evo VIII in the US plate with US insurrance
to a US citicent in the US who drive's it to canada (legal here)
He goes back by plane and leave the EVO in my hands in canada...

Then swith the proprety of the car the me the canadian citicent
with still US plate and US insurrance...

After 6 month the car goes back in the US...

Good or not?
legally it's ok
A US guy enters canada= ok
leave the car in CAN= I drive it for 6 months