EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing-16/)
-   -   Cobra's are overrated (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing/170716-cobras-overrated.html)

slow4dr Nov 22, 2005 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mame Slaughter
That's good for you that you are able to do that, but he wasn't.

Once again..........................."You beat the driver"

Mame Slaughter Nov 22, 2005 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by slow4dr
Once again..........................."You beat the driver"

Then so be it.. I beat the driver.

On a side note, i'm out to lunch back in 60-90 depending on traffic.

Prof. Pollo Nov 22, 2005 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This is dumb. Anyone who has a clue knows that Cobras are not overrated and that Evos are not even in the same class. That Cobra should not be trapping 109mph and should not be running 13s. You say you never seem them beat 13s, but I never see them do anything worse than 12.5s. Most of the time they're doing 11s and low 12s at no less than 120mph with no obvious mods. It takes everything I have to compete with these guys, but I usually still lose despite running 12.0-12.1. Please don't make us look stupid by trying to claim that Cobras are overrated just because you beat one with a crappy driver...

No traction = weak et's. If you can't put the power down... And why must everyone assume this car is highly modified. The car Mame raced certainly looked stock. Again, we see them all the time running 13's. Just cuz you see them running 12's with mods at a fast track doesn't mean they can ALL pull that.

slow4dr Nov 22, 2005 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mame Slaughter
Then so be it.. I beat the driver.

{thumbup}

AndyBandy Nov 22, 2005 08:12 AM

just not comparible for the different classes....thats why i dont like to see sport compact go up vs. muscle cars

its cool to see who wins, but in the end there shouldnt be any bragging because theres always someone that can beat you. whether its sport compact, drag cars, super cars, etc.

just take the win and dont brag because it gives us a bad rep.

sleet Nov 22, 2005 08:13 AM

Cobras are over-rated? Yeah ok, Cobras are godly.

Warrtalon Nov 22, 2005 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prof. Pollo
No traction = weak et's. If you can't put the power down... And why must everyone assume this car is highly modified. The car Mame raced certainly looked stock. Again, we see them all the time running 13's. Just cuz you see them running 12's with mods at a fast track doesn't mean they can ALL pull that.

Without mods, they still run better than 13s, and even with stock rubber they can hook fine. Not as good as an AWD car, but fine nonetheless. A Cobra driver that knows what he's doing can hit 12s at over 110 all day long. If a particular track is terrible, then that's not the Cobra's fault. There's certainly no reason to call them overrated just because they don't appear to run well at "your" track.

3000ways Nov 22, 2005 08:14 AM

Please why are so many people replying to this thread, including myself. We all know the capabilities of the Cobra in the hands of the right driver, so there is no reason to argue. The same can be said of some EVO owners who have ran high 14s, just because they can't drive means all EVOs are slow, absolutely not. The same theory includes the Cobra.

AndyBandy Nov 22, 2005 08:15 AM

amen...just end this thread.

EvoRicer Nov 22, 2005 08:19 AM

You sure you raced a 03/04 Cobra? Sure it wasnt a Wanna be look alike or a Earlier Year Cobra? the 03/04s (excluding 2006) are the Only ones that Come Supercharged and are hitting mid to high 12s. If u want to see, come to Cali and watch the old guys race them stock.

Prof. Pollo Nov 22, 2005 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Without mods, they still run better than 13s, and even with stock rubber they can hook fine. Not as good as an AWD car, but fine nonetheless. A Cobra driver that knows what he's doing can hit 12s at over 110 all day long. If a particular track is terrible, then that's not the Cobra's fault. There's certainly no reason to call them overrated just because they don't appear to run well at "your" track.

The point is that they are consistently 13 second cars here. It is the Cobras fault because it can't get traction. Why is it so hard to believe that the Cobra isn't a god car everywhere and on every surface.

I guess it's not the open class SRT-4s fault it gets it's ass handed to it by Evos and Imprezas in american rallying.

With every passing post it becomes more and more obvious that the Cobra is, in fact, overrated. If the Cobra is such a god car why did you people waste your money on Evos?

mr_atchison Nov 22, 2005 08:23 AM

I don't get why so many evom people hate on muscle cars. Cobras are great cars, but they weren't built for the same purpose as an evo, so why only look at what they do poorly, and not what they do well. An evo will never be able to drag race as well, and as cheaply as a cobra, and at least a cobra never has to worry about blowing a t-case off the line.

But anyways, my point is I love all types of cars and I don't see why people need to talk crap about other types of cars.

Off topic: I'm in love with the C6 Z06

Prof. Pollo Nov 22, 2005 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by EvoRicer
You sure you raced a 03/04 Cobra? Sure it wasnt a Wanna be look alike or a Earlier Year Cobra? the 03/04s (excluding 2006) are the Only ones that Come Supercharged and are hitting mid to high 12s. If u want to see, come to Cali and watch the old guys race them stock.

hmmmm. I'm not sure. Mame knows Mustangs better then I do. I'll ask him when he gets back from lunch.

Warrtalon Nov 22, 2005 08:28 AM

With every passing post it becomes more and more obvious that the Cobra is, in fact, overrated. If the Cobra is such a god car why did you people waste your money on Evos?

Because we didn't buy our Evo to win drag races maybe? What kind of stupid question was that? Do you think it's not possible to know and believe that another car is superior at ONE aspect (e.g. drag racing) and still buy a different car that excels at many OTHER things (i.e. road, rally, auto-x)? I would have loved to have gotten a 1 year used convertible Cobra for 29k, but I didn't want 2 doors, I didn't want RWD in the winter, and I didn't want a straight-line car. Instead, I paid MORE for a new Evo that kicks ass at the drag strip, on the autocross course, and at the road circuit. I've done all 3 with huge success, and that's why I bought the Evo. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of realizing that the Cobra completely owns the Evo at the drag strip...

mr_atchison Nov 22, 2005 08:31 AM

The point is that they are consistently 13 second cars here. It is the Cobras fault because it can't get traction. Why is it so hard to believe that the Cobra isn't a god car everywhere and on every surface.

I guess it's not the open class SRT-4s fault it gets it's ass handed to it by Evos and Imprezas in american rallying.

Like there can only be one good car?