EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   What is Speed Density? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/536680-what-speed-density.html)

EvO9 PiPER Jan 29, 2011 11:40 PM

hmm. so it is possible to get a nice tune for daily driving and have it last?
the only reason i havent done sd yet is because i herd re-tunes are required more frequently.

this would be done on a pure daily driven street car that never sees track time so thats also another reason. im not really trying to squeeze out as much power as i can from my current setup but would like better drivability...specially with the vta tial

JohnBradley Jan 29, 2011 11:47 PM

I honestly feel the car should be checked 2 times a year or whenever parts change regardless of whether its MAF or SD. SD really needs the tune checked with part changes, but at least in my experience it can go longer on weather. The main thing to be kept in mind is what extremes the car is driven in. Here in the NW its pretty average most of the year and that could be a reason why my tune stays consistent. We do get extreme cold snaps in winter from time to time and heat waves in the summer. I drive the car through all of these but I dont rip on it all the time in the cold or extreme heat. If you got tuned (lets say in AZ for instance) in the middle of winter and race a lot in summer it would be in your best interest to get it checked when you do the bulk of your racing.

RoadSpike Jan 29, 2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by EvO9 PiPER (Post 9032646)
hmm. so it is possible to get a nice tune for daily driving and have it last?
the only reason i havent done sd yet is because i herd re-tunes are required more frequently.

this would be done on a pure daily driven street car that never sees track time so thats also another reason. im not really trying to squeeze out as much power as i can from my current setup but would like better drivability...specially with the vta tial

My DD was SD and for a whole year i never really tuned it. Drove fine no major shifts in AFR at any point and that was on e85.

I'd say its capable of being a DD rom for sure

EvO9 PiPER Jan 29, 2011 11:56 PM

im in texas. pretty hot summers, mild winters.

i dont really plan on adding any more performance parts so i think if i get a summer tune and winter tune i would be set. ughh...time to rip off that manifold again and drill in that iat:rolleyes:

thanks for the assurance though{thumbup}

MiTech Jan 30, 2011 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley (Post 9032653)
I honestly feel the car should be checked 2 times a year or whenever parts change regardless of whether its MAF or SD. SD really needs the tune checked with part changes, but at least in my experience it can go longer on weather. The main thing to be kept in mind is what extremes the car is driven in. Here in the NW its pretty average most of the year and that could be a reason why my tune stays consistent. We do get extreme cold snaps in winter from time to time and heat waves in the summer. I drive the car through all of these but I dont rip on it all the time in the cold or extreme heat. If you got tuned (lets say in AZ for instance) in the middle of winter and race a lot in summer it would be in your best interest to get it checked when you do the bulk of your racing.

Hey Aaron,

What great info i feel this should be a sticky {thumbup}

Mike

fcapistran Jan 30, 2011 09:33 AM

Good information Aaron. Thank you for posting. I will see you pretty soon for some modding tune.

KevinD Jan 30, 2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by EvO9 PiPER (Post 9032663)
im in texas. pretty hot summers, mild winters.

i dont really plan on adding any more performance parts so i think if i get a summer tune and winter tune i would be set. ughh...time to rip off that manifold again and drill in that iat:rolleyes:

thanks for the assurance though{thumbup}

the manifold isnt a good place for the IAT because it gets very hot, you'll have the heat soak problems people have with warm start on SD.

use the upper intercooler pipe if possible.

also, the SD doesn't require the AIT sensor at all if your not ever tracking the car. the fuel temperature sensor can work as well, and is already wired into the ECU.

and from my experience, a well tuned and maintained MAF car will work as good as a SD car (although in your case the TIAL doesnt help a maf tune). even the SD has its issues...

95630706 Jan 31, 2011 09:16 AM

At this point my daily is a LOT hapier on SD. Granted I haven't had the same exact map for more than a couple days in a row (mostly because I like to play)... but in terms of smooth consistant, stall free 14.7-10.8 fueling I can't make the MAF work like this. I tried and gave up, I'm sure someone can but not me and certainly not with my intake and BOV set-up. :)

Jack_of_Trades Jan 31, 2011 05:27 PM

Excuse my ignorance here but couldn't you set the ECU to use the Fuel Temp Sensor during startup and then switch over the the IAT after a determined time or something? It seems the Fuel temp sensor shouldn't be subjected to as much engine off/heatsoak,no? I just figured that its already in the car and all...

Either that or use an ambient air temp sensor and build an IC efficiency table per RPM?

I haven't messed with SD (first time will be next week though) so forgive any stupid questions.

vmrevo9 Jan 31, 2011 06:16 PM

interesting

l2r99gst Feb 1, 2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 9037129)
Excuse my ignorance here but couldn't you set the ECU to use the Fuel Temp Sensor during startup and then switch over the the IAT after a determined time or something? It seems the Fuel temp sensor shouldn't be subjected to as much engine off/heatsoak,no? I just figured that its already in the car and all...

That's a very good idea. The only thing is that some people use the fuel temp sensor input for their GM IAT so there can be easy switching back and forth with just a flash.

That is a very viable solution, though. Else, as I suggested in the past, just use some offset from the coolant temp or something for startup and maybe 30 seconds after.

JohnBradley Feb 1, 2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 9037129)

Either that or use an ambient air temp sensor and build an IC efficiency table per RPM?

I haven't messed with SD (first time will be next week though) so forgive any stupid questions.

That would be kind of like DSMlink, I checked and it ignores air temp under 1500hz by default.

Aaron

E-Spec@Tach Motor Works Feb 2, 2011 08:18 PM

Great thread Aaron. Hopefully the information shared in this thread can clear up some misconceptions of SD tuning.

Sean@fftec Feb 4, 2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley (Post 9029392)
I never did publicly thank Sean@FFTEC for telling me I didnt know what I was missing out on with SD.

Thanks dude {thumbup}

Aaron

Anytime Aaron.

Hopefully we can actually meet sometime @ an event.:beer:

nonschlont Feb 5, 2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley (Post 9028583)
So after much thinking about how to explain what true Speed Density is vs what we do here for instance, how AEM's are often setup, etc. I came up with the following idea, just explain what everything is and remove doubt.

MAF - if you dont know this one its a volume sensor. Thats it. Ours have IAT and a baro comp to make it more accurate but it simply measures volume entering the engine. If there are boost leaks its inaccurate, doesnt like VTA (letting metered air leave without pulling fuel), all the stuff we know.

Alpha-N - TPS x RPM. That is all that is with no VE compensation (i.e. boost). If I tell it that at 100% throttle and 6000 rpm it does it at all boost levels independent of air volume.

Speed density - estimates air mass by pressure vs temp. Then applies this to a 3D map. The "3D" we already have, its Load (pressure or volume) x RPM with a set value in each cell. Every point can be fine tuned so this is really Alpha N with compensation. Any VE changes needs a retune, doesnt matter the system. It only knows pressure and rpm not what the true mass of the air is (it has a trim table and most get ignored above certain levels).

THEN THERE IS WHAT I DO (and many others at this point).

I use the fuel temp sensor to mimic an IAT since its already in the car. The IAT reads gross temp not average. It can heat soak, be subject to a meth jet to close, all sorts of little issues. The actual trim table in the Evo ECU really isnt setup for IAT trim anyway. It has an algorithm that allows for minor alterations to fueling since its set for a MAF, and then trims timing vs air temp.

Fuel temp is more or less constant. The fuel heatsoaks going thru the rail hits the tank and then is sent forward again. It takes 15 minutes to get full heat into the fuel system (ask anyone with an A1000). It is a rough average of engine bay temp which is what the MAF does factory. I have done exhaustive testing and see no more than 5-6* variation from fuel temp as a source to what the MAF would read in the corner of the engine bay.

Now for the term everyone has been waiting for, Boost Comp. This is what MAFs do, most SD setups (AEM, Motec, Autronic, Vipec, etc.) do for fueling. It assumes VE is more or less constant until you hit backpressure in the turbine housing, head flow, cam size, and VE starts to drop off again.

I set the fueling at 16psi and in our maps this is 180% load or so. The values are constant out to 38psi. Hyper Boost Compensation is the proper name. Retuning is as easy as altering either the max boost portion of the MAPVE table to allow more or less fuel vs pressure, and in some cases the tip in portion of the MAPVE (121kpa column).

There is no such thing as true speed density. I havent seen any AEM ever do this or any other standalone. GM is the closest to True SD and its because tada they use a MAF as well to judge volume vs pressure.

Do I do it right? I dunno. Does it work well when its setup, I build a good map, and then work that map on each and every application? Yes. Are there advantages and disadvantages? Of course, before I had the MAF comp vs Coolant the cars DID NOT love life cold. The IXs were better but not perfect, the VIIIs didnt like me.

....to be continued....

very informative thread! Thanks for sharing the info Aaron. {thumbup}
Ive been considering making the swap to SD for a min. now... Just started reading up on it a lil, and I have a couple dumb questions...
Now when u say "I use the fuel temp sensor to mimic an IAT since its already in the car", does this need to be re-wired into the correct input of the ecu, or does it just need to be configured in the SD maps, and if so, does it come pre-configured???
I have a base map ready for initial testing, just not sure on that, and whether or not I can run SD w/ the current MAF/intake (Injen) on the car (unplugged) until I get another intake?

edit: 88590715 1715 rom
TIA