EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/436196-evo8-ecu-1g-dsm-works.html)

0xDEAD Jul 26, 2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by evonut270 (Post 7322797)
you probably know already but you can adjust the knock sensor sensitivity to suit.have you tried using the disable code for the knock sensor to see if it sorts the timing issue?

1g uses an analog knock board 2g/evo ecu's use a DSP knock board. Completely different way to deal with signal conditioning. You must match the sensor to the ecu. The 1g is "deaf" where a 2g/evo knock sensor isn't.

evonut270 Jul 26, 2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 0xDEAD (Post 7322818)
1g uses an analog knock board 2g/evo ecu's use a DSP knock board. Completely different way to deal with signal conditioning. You must match the sensor to the ecu. The 1g is "deaf" where a 2g/evo knock sensor isn't.

cool its was just a thought.there are no eclipses over here so im not very clued up on them.

Jack_of_Trades Jul 26, 2009 12:59 PM

Cool thanks. I found my timing issue to be the starter signal input wire. It was supplying +12v constantly which made the ECU keep the timing at only 5*, assuming that I was still cranking over the engine. Now I have to confirm every wire since they did a 4g63 swap in this mirage and obviously didn't hook up the wires correctly. fun fun.

0xDEAD Jul 26, 2009 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 7322878)
Cool thanks. I found my timing issue to be the starter signal input wire. It was supplying +12v constantly which made the ECU keep the timing at only 5*, assuming that I was still cranking over the engine. Now I have to confirm every wire since they did a 4g63 swap in this mirage and obviously didn't hook up the wires correctly. fun fun.

Good deal, what an odd problem though. I think you will like the evo ecu. My 1g runs soooooo much smoother now with it than it ever did on the eprom 1g ecu. Its not that the old ecu didn't work good but the evo ecu makes the engine respond to input like an evo instead of the "choppy" way the DSM ecu seems to respond.

Jack_of_Trades Jul 26, 2009 01:46 PM

One last thing, pins 63 and 66 on the 1G go to the same MPI (pin 8) wire. Where did they get installed on the Evo ECU? It requires a ground source to activate the MPI relay which I am doing manually right now during testing.

0xDEAD Jul 26, 2009 02:38 PM

Pin 38 on the evo "MPI output" goes to pin 63 on the dsm. I did not wire in pin 66. If you look at the actual schematic (not a pinout) of the 1g wiring pin 63 and 66 are common in the wiring harness. They both simply activate the MPI relay. I don't know why both pins are used when its not a major current draw (it is only activating the relay coil). I only wired one in and the car is turn key and able to be driven.

Jack_of_Trades Jul 26, 2009 02:48 PM

Yeah I actually had a friend give me his alldata password and I just figured it out before you posted. I gotta work on the MAF size/scaling for this 2G maf though. The second I give it gas it suffocates and dies.

0xDEAD Jul 26, 2009 02:59 PM

Plug and play with the maf scaling. I have the scaling saved on my computer somewhere if you can't find it. I'm running a MAFT Gen2 however so I just told it to spit out an evo 8 airflow signal because I'm too lazy to put the 1g stuff in (and it would probably cause more problems anyways).

Jack_of_Trades Jul 26, 2009 03:01 PM

Yeah, my car came with a 2G MAF so I am trying to get that to work for now. Plan on going to speed density in the not too distant future so i didnt want to get too hung up on tuning the maf, just want it driveable for now.

project_skyline Jul 26, 2009 03:30 PM

Interesting suff! Very curious to know more so I can put one of my friends 1g talon.

0xDEAD Jul 26, 2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 7323246)
Plan on going to speed density in the not too distant future so i didnt want to get too hung up on tuning the maf, just want it driveable for now.

Let me know how that works. I want to convert to SD but know nothing about it right now.

Jack_of_Trades Jul 26, 2009 04:30 PM

It now runs like a top! God its so smooth compared to DSMlink! Cruising was effortless, not all jerky and stumbly like before. I'm in heaven now lol. Thanks for all of the help 0xDEAD.

Oh, the stumbling issue I had was from the fuel pump relay wire not being pushed in all of the way. Somehow it was staying running with the fuel pump OFF! Must have created a syphon or something lol.

evonut270 Jul 26, 2009 05:01 PM

jack see this link for the 2g maf scalings

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuni...-2g-works.html

C130flyer Jul 26, 2009 05:07 PM

I have been wondering about this swap into a 1g since that 2g boys did it. Thank you for figuring it out guys.

Is there any way that you guys might post up a definitive ECU pin out once you get the bugs worked out?

Jack_of_Trades Jul 26, 2009 05:12 PM

I will post up a SOLID layout in the next few days to help the next people who do this.