EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   ECU Flash (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash-179/)
-   -   Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecu-flash/436196-evo8-ecu-1g-dsm-works.html)

C130flyer Jul 26, 2009 06:29 PM

Thank you Sir,

Where can I donate funds to help you do this.

mchuang Jul 26, 2009 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 7323628)
I will post up a SOLID layout in the next few days to help the next people who do this.

Please do, as I have a Gen 1 I want to try this on.

acidikjuice Jul 27, 2009 08:46 AM

Knock sensor being 'deaf' ?

Whats up guys, I have been using an EVO ECU in my 2G for a few months now and LOVE it! I have a 6-bolt engine in my 2G with a 1G style CAS.

As far as the 1G knock sensor being deaf goes: I'm not sure if i have a 1G knock sensor or 2G knock sensor on my block any more and haven't really thought about the issues this might produce until reading this thread! I did the 6-bolt swap a long time ago and have forgotten if I did indeed swap the knock sensor or not.

I thought knock sensors were just a pickup for the signal and no processing of the signal takes place at the knock sensor. The ECUs may have different ways to process the signal (analog vs digital) but that this had no implications on the 'sensor' that the noise was coming from? this is because NO processing takes place at the sensor itself. I understand the knock sensor may be tuned for a specific Hz, but are the knock sensors from a 1G 2G and evo really that different? I can not imagine they are very far apart because all the 4G63s we are talking about are very similar in respect to the characteristics that factor into tuning a knock sensor Hz.

I can log knock (and lots of it) so I assume if I can read knock output that I at least have the 2G sensor on. But maybe i have a 1G sensor and thats why i get some odd knock counts at part throttle.

Thanks for your input on this issue.

scheides Jul 27, 2009 09:20 AM

JoT FTW! This makes me want a 1G again.

Jack_of_Trades Jul 27, 2009 09:39 AM

The knock sensors are most CERTAINLY different in design fromthe 1g/2g's to the Evo8/9's. That, combined with theknock filters in the Evo ECU make it easiest to just toss an Evo8/9 knock sensor in it and call it a day.

4kinboost Jul 27, 2009 09:50 AM

You guys never cease to amaze me with this stuff!!

Congrats on the new breakthrough!! You just raised the bar on what 1g's will be selling for shortly!!

the_mork Jul 27, 2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 7325928)
The knock sensors are most CERTAINLY different in design fromthe 1g/2g's to the Evo8/9's. That, combined with theknock filters in the Evo ECU make it easiest to just toss an Evo8/9 knock sensor in it and call it a day.

I'm not sure how different the 2g knock sensor is from the 8/9. The 1g sensor is very different. The thing to note though is that on dsmtuners we have a member named knockgoon who has used the evo8 knock sensor on his 2g and it has not solved the phantom knock issues he had. What has worked has been to raise the knock multipliers to around 22 for the low and mid areas. The high range is just fine as it is.

The 2g knock sensor appears to have the same setup as the evo sensors AFAIK, nearly all of the signal processing is done internal to the ecu without a coprocessor or external chip. The 1g knock sensor appears similar and probably is nearly the same except that the signal is processed by a controller that resides within the ecu case which feeds the input for the ecu knock signal.

wreckleford Jul 27, 2009 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by evonut270 (Post 7323589)
jack see this link for the 2g maf scalings

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuni...-2g-works.html

Those MAF scalings actually aren't correct. I posted the correct scalings in the other thread we had here about the MAF adder. I have checked and double checked them. The good thing is that even with wrong scaling you can get the car to run pretty well by tuning.

wreckleford Jul 27, 2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades (Post 7322878)
Cool thanks. I found my timing issue to be the starter signal input wire. It was supplying +12v constantly which made the ECU keep the timing at only 5*, assuming that I was still cranking over the engine. Now I have to confirm every wire since they did a 4g63 swap in this mirage and obviously didn't hook up the wires correctly. fun fun.

I had this problem on a converted car once. Took a while to figure out.

Jack_of_Trades Jul 27, 2009 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by wreckleford (Post 7326163)
Those MAF scalings actually aren't correct. I posted the correct scalings in the other thread we had here about the MAF adder. I have checked and double checked them. The good thing is that even with wrong scaling you can get the car to run pretty well by tuning.

Would you mind reposting a link to the post you made in the other thread to help others that happen to find this thread first???? My 2G MAF scaling is WAYYY off (used the DSMTuners scaling) so I would like to try yours.

wreckleford Jul 27, 2009 11:51 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...maf-adder.html

This is the thread, but I didn't explain it as well as I thought. When I get home I can post it up.

GST Motorsports Jul 27, 2009 01:55 PM

Very cool stuff!

I just missed a cherry blue 90 GSX last week, single owner, garaged it's whole life, blown turbo for $1500. :(

Time to go DSM shopping again. :)

Bryan

0xDEAD Jul 27, 2009 03:33 PM

Get an auto Bryan :)

C130flyer Jul 27, 2009 03:33 PM

Is it just me or is it getting stupid hard to find a nice 1g these days.

0xDEAD Jul 27, 2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by C130flyer (Post 7327583)
Is it just me or is it getting stupid hard to find a nice 1g these days.

Stupid hard. I have two good ones.