EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   which cams produce most power: HKS 280's VS Comp Cam 280's (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/211341-cams-produce-most-power-hks-280s-vs-comp-cam-280s.html)

TTP Engineering Jul 27, 2006 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
Al,
were looking at going with the 272/280 combo, as this seems like it could be an interesting balance between the two.

Poor combination that does not work well. :thumbdown

Sgt Blamo Jul 27, 2006 08:14 PM

Have you tried it? I read several posts from people who've stated that they had great results with same, though it seems that i've talked with several just recently who strongly advocate the 280's.

Sgt Blamo Jul 28, 2006 05:27 PM

Well? If your going to make a statement of fact you need to support it!
BTW,
I got the numbers backwards, its 280 int/ 272ext. It seems that the 272/264 combo does really well, so why wouldn't a 280/272 combo do just as well but a little better?
Please only post factual comments based upon experience, not speculation, as I would like to know if I'm heading in the wrong direction, speculation is not needed.

TTP Engineering Jul 28, 2006 07:19 PM

Well? If your going to make a statement of fact you need to support it!
BTW,
I got the numbers backwards, its 280 int/ 272ext. It seems that the 272/264 combo does really well, so why wouldn't a 280/272 combo do just as well but a little better?
Please only post factual comments based upon experience, not speculation, as I would like to know if I'm heading in the wrong direction, speculation is not needed.

Anything I post is fact based and not speculation.

Stop post whoring, bumping and replying to yourself and maybe someone will want to help you.

Or better yet, stop posting and start searching.

Sgt Blamo Jul 28, 2006 07:39 PM

Oh now that's a great responce! I asked you to elaborate as to your experiance and you come back with name calling?!!! What's up with that? I bumped so as to get a reply, what's wrong with that? how am I replying to myself? I have every right to post and everyone has a right to post or not, no one forced you into this particuler forum.
Now let me clarify one thing, I wasn't questioning your integrity or knowledge in any way, what I was addressing was how people tend to post things they've heard rather then what they've experienced firsthand. So if I offended you in that way, it was unintentional.

One more thing, I would suggest that you handle yourself a little differently in the future since you're a vender on this site and a business owner, it's not the most endearing way to attract new customers when they ask you a question in regards to YOUR reply!

TTP Engineering Jul 28, 2006 07:59 PM

Oh now that's a great responce! I asked you to elaborate as to your experiance and you come back with name calling?!!! What's up with that?

Show me where there is name calling? Name calling is against forum rules. We do not break the rules.

I bumped so as to get a reply, what's wrong with that? how am I replying to myself? I have every right to post and everyone has a right to post or not, no one forced you into this particuler forum.
In respect to anyone subscribed to the thread, posting 3 times in a row to yourself does nothing but send emails and emails to thread subscribers and it becomes a nuissance.

Now let me clarify one thing, I wasn't questioning your integrity or knowledge in any way, what I was addressing was how people tend to post things they've heard rather then what they've experienced firsthand. So if I offended you in that way, it was unintentional.
You were directing you comment at us, implying that we just felt like posting to bump our post count and knew nothing of the cam combo. This is disrespectful. I personally have installed 136 camshafts in Evos and that quite possibly could be the most installed by one person in the Evo application.

One more thing, I would suggest that you handle yourself a little differently in the future since you're a vender on this site and a business owner, it's not the most endearing way to attract new customers when they ask you a question in regards to YOUR reply!
According to our feedback, we evidently do not have a problem attracting customers or impressing each and every client. We probably have the top 3-5 feedback rating on evom, period.

If you remember we exchanged many emails and you had phoned me personally with regards to modifications, parts and tuning. You then flaked out and stopped responding.

Your problem is you need to find a shop to call your own, and trust in your consultation with them and not rely on the world to pick your mods for you and give you advice. Trust the ones that do this for a living and support someone local to you that specialized in Evo's if one such exists in your market area.

donmeca2020 Jul 28, 2006 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Show me where there is name calling? Name calling is against forum rules. We do not break the rules.

In respect to anyone subscribed to the thread, posting 3 times in a row to yourself does nothing but send emails and emails to thread subscribers and it becomes a nuissance.

You were directing you comment at us, implying that we just felt like posting to bump our post count and knew nothing of the cam combo. This is disrespectful. I personally have installed 136 camshafts in Evos and that quite possibly could be the most installed by one person in the Evo application.

According to our feedback, we evidently do not have a problem attracting customers or impressing each and every client. We probably have the top 3-5 feedback rating on evom, period.

If you remember we exchanged many emails and you had phoned me personally with regards to modifications, parts and tuning. You then flaked out and stopped responding.

Your problem is you need to find a shop to call your own, and trust in your consultation with them and not rely on the world to pick your mods for you and give you advice. Trust the ones that do this for a living and support someone local to you that specialized in Evo's if one such exists in your market area.

really i will also noticed the same thing, i havent kept a close eye on this thread but i havent seen any real FACTS from you besides saying you installed numerous setups and suposedly having great benefits to these installs. when i see a dyno sheet or anything to that nature then we will all respect. until then your words are nothing but bull****

TTP Engineering Jul 28, 2006 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
really i will also noticed the same thing, i havent kept a close eye on this thread but i havent seen any real FACTS from you besides saying you installed numerous setups and suposedly having great benefits to these installs. when i see a dyno sheet or anything to that nature then we will all respect. until then your words are nothing but bull****

There are plenty of sheets, including JonEvo's 38+whp gains just from our cam degreeing.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=jonevo

The thread appreciates your technical input.

Sgt Blamo Jul 28, 2006 10:35 PM

Lets get some things straight here:
1. You called me a "postwhore" which is implying that I'm posting just for the sake of it, not to mention is derogatory. I asked people who have firsthand experience to post what they have experienced, plain and simple.
2. You posted that the combo I was thinking about was a bad choice. I replied asking for factual information, as some people tend to post based on hearsay, I don't know you well enough to judge whether you do that or not. If I offended you, I apologize, as that wasn't my intent. I ask questions that I feel are relevant and evaluate the replies, that's part of learning.
3. How the heck do I know who has their email set up to get a notice every time there's a new post? How would I be responsible for your choice of getting email notification? Again, it all comes back to the original reason I posted this, to garner information! I guess you delete a lot of junk emails.
4. "You were directing you comment at us, implying that we just felt like posting to bump our post count and knew nothing of the cam combo. This is disrespectful. I personally have installed 136 camshafts in Evos and that quite possibly could be the most installed by one person in the Evo application"
Your above statement is baffling to say the least! You stated that I was posting at you directly and intentionally. I NEVER mentioned that you would post just for the sake of it, nor did I imply that you knew nothing of the cam combo. I stated that I would like some tangible evidence to the contrary as I’ve heard of some people having good success with it and didn’t want to be going in the wrong direction. I did ask if you’ve tried it, but it was in a way of asking a question , not an accusation! That was at 2314 hrs on the 27th. I posted again today @ 2027 hrs asking for your response, which you did give by way of a sarcastic, arrogant reply. @ 2039 hrs I replied to your post and specifically stated that my question wasn’t intended as questioning your integrity , nor was I trying to offend you, I just wanted some detail, rather than “poor combination that does not work well”. In NO WAY was I being disrespectful and how you could’ve taken it that way I don’t know, especially after I went out of my way to make that very clear! How would I know how many cams you’ve installed? Are you the “grand puba” of cam installation and I should’ve known and paid you homage?!
5. Being in a business that is service oriented requires patience, expertise and professionalism, none of which you’ve shown tonight in your replies. I would hate to see how you handle a dissatisfied customer when a problem occurs.
6. I most certainly remember my emails to you and your replies, which were prompt and informative. However it was your delayed response to my phone call that caused me to loose interest and look elsewhere. In your defense, you did get back to me but it was several days too late. I can understand that you get busy, I do the same, I can understand that you may forget to get back with me, I’ve done that to, but I generally have no interest in doing business with a shop that cannot reply in some fashion within 24-36 hrs of a request. My response time to my customers is usually within 2-3 hrs, tops. When you don’t follow up promptly, you’re sending your customer elsewhere!
As to me “Flaking out”, I NEVER made any kind of commitment nor obligated myself to you in any way. I always talk to prospective venders 1st to see if they have what I want, if it’s in stock and what the price is, and whether I want to do business with them or not. How is that flaking out? I simply lost interest when you didn’t get back to me and went elsewhere to get the service I needed.
7. I initially contacted you because I was looking for a “shop” to work with that I could take my car to for everything. Part of my “finding” a shop is asking questions about a shop(references, word of mouth) and then talking to them directly. In that part of my info gathering stage, I came to understand that you work out of your garage and that you don’t own a shop, this is based upon two people who stated that directly, one of them was a recent cam install. While I have no problem with people doing business that way, it doesn’t fit my criteria of a “shop” that I’m comfortable with. It has to have insurance and be able to financially stand behind the work they do if something goes wrong (stuff happens!) .

Lastly , I would not have preferred this route in telling you why I wouldn’t do business with you , but since you said I “flaked out on you” I thought it should be clear as to why I decided to take my business elsewhere. I have found a good, local, reputable shop that I trust and have taken my car to(I‘m in NO way questioning your character or integrity!). I found them by word of mouth, they were highly recommended and they called me back within 24 hrs! After taking the time to answer my questions I visited them, was offered a tour of their shop and made the necessary arrangements to deliver my car. That shop is Billet Design in Pompano Beach, FL.

timzcat Jul 28, 2006 10:58 PM

If you spent the time to search as opposed to making posts like this ^^ you would probably have your answer by now. :lol:

nigletsyz Jul 28, 2006 11:46 PM

To Sgt Blamo and anyone else interested in what the dyno charts will look like w/ a 280/272 combo upgraded from stock... I have the cam combo, but have yet to install them. I am planning on setting up an appointment w/ Tuning Technologies to have them installed and dyno tuned by the end of August. I will gladly post up the baseline run along w/ the tuned run on both 91 octane and a race fuel map once its all done. Tuning will be done w/ the ECUflash software on the stock ECU (obviously). Oh, and I will also have cam gears installed as well.

Not too sure on how soon you were planning on picking out your cam combo, but if you can wait until the end of next month, I should have some real results for everyone. I myself have yet to find a single dyno sheet on this particular cam combo upgrade, even though I searched extensively. However, the reason I chose this combo was because of the really great things I read about the 272/264 combo and the 280/280 combo. Also the limited feedback I got on the 280/272 combo was favorable enough to push me over the edge. I also didn't want to be like everyone else and just get a 272/272 combo. You don't go faster by being the same. I think it'll be the perfect combo for street/strip/highway runs, but only time will tell.

TTP Engineering Jul 29, 2006 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by timzcat
If you spent the time to search as opposed to making posts like this ^^ you would probably have your answer by now. :lol:

Isnt that the truth... My eyes hurt.

5. Being in a business that is service oriented requires patience, expertise and professionalism, none of which you’ve shown tonight in your replies. I would hate to see how you handle a dissatisfied customer when a problem occurs.
Again based on out 133 positive feedback rating. We have taken care of each and every customer to their satisfaction regardless of circustance. You have to in order to maintian such feedback.

FWIW, the automotive performace industry does not cater to customers hand and foot. In fact if you are not satisfied, many shops do not care. Its the business. We however demonstrate CSI through feedback ratings on evom.

7. I initially contacted you because I was looking for a “shop” to work with that I could take my car to for everything. Part of my “finding” a shop is asking questions about a shop(references, word of mouth) and then talking to them directly. In that part of my info gathering stage, I came to understand that you work out of your garage and that you don’t own a shop, this is based upon two people who stated that directly, one of them was a recent cam install. While I have no problem with people doing business that way, it doesn’t fit my criteria of a “shop” that I’m comfortable with. It has to have insurance and be able to financially stand behind the work they do if something goes wrong (stuff happens!) .
Probaly 2/10 automotive shops "own" commercial space. We rent commercial warehouse space as well as commercial bay and lift area for labor intensive clutch jobs and the like. For a simple cam, studs, gears job I am done in 65min, by the book due to my experience and also have a personal garage that intersects FL's 2 major highways. Most clients would rather shorten their trip and make the return flight much easier by just stopping by the personal garage. It only makes sense.

As far as the delayed phone response, yes we were busy. Hell we just returned from Velocity Factor in Boca Raton and Fynetune in Miami tuning cars and doing remote cam installations on site.

By the sounds of it however you were in no rush as we sit here two months later still asking the same questions.

donmeca2020 Jul 29, 2006 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
There are plenty of sheets, including JonEvo's 38+whp gains just from our cam degreeing.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=jonevo

The thread appreciates your technical input.

thing being is we want this info in this thread. you should have posted that all in the first time instead of just saying " i have installed numerous cam combos and have gotten awsome results. people want evidence, we cant just take the word of some low brow vendor. really to me it sounds like your just trying to peddle your services and thats it.

Spooldyou Jul 29, 2006 06:53 AM

I dont understand why so many people care about low end so much, The evo is a dog until about 3800 RPM which is when these cams kick in anyways. and the transition of the comp 280s is almost violent. where the hks are smooth thats my only silike of the 280s

Sgt Blamo Jul 29, 2006 07:17 AM

As far as I'm concerned this issue is over, I have nothing against you scott and wish you the best.

Timzcat,
I did search 1st, I always do, however this issue was'nt addressed in the specifics that I was looking for, so I posted, no-one who has replied has been forced to. I browse thru countless discussions w/out posting because they I'm not interested in them.Obviously those whove posted in this discussion have had some sort of interest. In addition, I've noticed that the search engine has failed to work over the last two days, kept getting a blank page saying "fatal error".

To all those who've posted good info thanks much, including TT&P.