EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/561850-rear-diff-clutch-plates-installed-incorrectly-factory.html)

OX Jun 25, 2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp (Post 9414408)
I describe mine as a faint chatter, it's not loud by any means.
A buddy gave me a 4oz bottle of Amsoil Slip Lock additive.
He said it should eliminate the noise. He said the Ford LSD additive (4oz. bottle) works as well.
I'll be adding it after work today, so we'll see.

At least in the ford diff's, the additive also lessens the effectiveness of the LS. Maybe that's what it needs (happy medium between hardly working as it is now, and too tight for the street after doing this), but I'd hate to do all that work and then be back to where I was with the additive (more or less).

L888Apex Jun 25, 2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 9415210)
I dont know about fixing the stock 8 plate, but my 12 plate is quite chattery with redline 75w-140NS. During the winter Ill use factory diaqueen as Ive heard that pretty much shuts them up.

You're not supposed to be using the "NS" version ;){thumbup} For the DIY guys DO NOT FORGET YOU NEED TO RE-SHIM it when you do this. I just had mine done a couple days ago, and my car does not make any chatter/clunking noises. But man it is awesome smashing the throttle into a turn now hehe :lol: :D

EVO8emUp Jun 25, 2011 11:32 AM

You don't have to re-shim anything when rearranging the plates.
The only time you would have to re-shim is if the ring and pinion are not meshing properly.

Thoe99 Jun 25, 2011 11:59 AM

Here's my 5min parking lot review. I did a friction circle test and at steady state turning at the tire's grip threshold, the car still wants to understeer. It was neutral at best, but the circle kept getting larger and larger with the front tires slightly sliding out more so than the rears. BUT as soon as I smashed the gas, the rear end kicked out. It needs the torque to lock up. By the way, I have no clunks and noises whatsoever.

Here's a video in the meantime showing you power oversteer with this re-assembly mod. I'll keep updating the thread with reviews as I get to test it on the tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2k9Nn5vySk

bambooi Jun 25, 2011 12:10 PM

Show us more. Be careful not to mess up your power steering by locking the steering wheel.

kyoo Jun 25, 2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thoe99 (Post 9417091)
Here's my 5min parking lot review. I did a friction circle test and at steady state turning at the tire's grip threshold, the car still wants to understeer. It was neutral at best, but the circle kept getting larger and larger with the front tires slightly sliding out more so than the rears. BUT as soon as I smashed the gas, the rear end kicked out. It needs the torque to lock up. By the way, I have no clunks and noises whatsoever.

Here's a video in the meantime showing you power oversteer with this re-assembly mod. I'll keep updating the thread with reviews as I get to test it on the tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2k9Nn5vySk

i bet you were so stoke when the rear came out

EvoDan2004 Jun 25, 2011 01:43 PM

i have the TRE rear 12 plate upgrade and HD side cover. i also do not here or feel any clunks or sounds. maybe its only 1 in 20 that do it?

Dallas J Jun 25, 2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by l888apex (Post 9416962)
You're not supposed to be using the "NS" version ;)

For autox you can use the NS for maximum lockup. Though slow speed turning will definitely feel a bit of bind. Its pretty agressive with it and in the winter Ill definitely run the diaqueen LSD fluid.

kyoo Jun 25, 2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 9417278)
For autox you can use the NS for maximum lockup. Though slow speed turning will definitely feel a bit of bind. Its pretty agressive with it and in the winter Ill definitely run the diaqueen LSD fluid.

just FYI with my cusco i dont get a clicking - i get violent banging from the rear end that will shake the entire car. works great lol. when i want to hush it up i just add lsd friction modifier - adding enough it will completely go away

Dallas J Jun 25, 2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo (Post 9417289)
just FYI with my cusco i dont get a clicking - i get violent banging from the rear end that will shake the entire car. works great lol. when i want to hush it up i just add lsd friction modifier - adding enough it will completely go away

Mines more of a chatter but definitely aggressive. I have no problem with it cause I only care about auto-x. I can live with anything as long as its helping lap times :cool:. I got SS corvettes to keep up with in PAX, gotta do everything I can :lol:

kyoo Jun 25, 2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 9417302)
Mines more of a chatter but definitely aggressive. I have no problem with it cause I only care about auto-x. I can live with anything as long as its helping lap times :cool:. I got SS corvettes to keep up with in PAX, gotta do everything I can :lol:

yea definitely - i just mention because i dont want ppl to be worrying about clicking/chattering. perfectly ok

Anonymouse Jun 25, 2011 02:39 PM

Not adding anything of value, just subscribing.

Raptord Jun 25, 2011 03:36 PM

Any possible negative side-effects from doing this besides the possibility of chatter during slow turns? I'm tempted to do this but I've never taken apart anything drivetrain-related, a friend of mine does rather often though (it's a Jeep thing :lol:) so I guess he could help

Sirnixalot Jun 25, 2011 03:46 PM

Could anyone post up the part numbers for the OEM plates and shims? I am looking to rebuild my Evo3 rear diff (they use the same stuff internally)

nightwalker Jun 25, 2011 05:14 PM

If the factory LSD is a 1 way, then it only works on acceleration. So some oversteer with throttle and then nothing else otherwise. Great for auto-x.