EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Car temperature rising at higher speed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/578986-car-temperature-rising-higher-speed.html)

forc3 f3d Oct 14, 2011 03:24 PM

What did the coolant in there look like?

ProPilot04 Oct 14, 2011 03:48 PM

donmeca2020.

People are offering you advice and you're just doing your own thing. Stop beating on your car to solve the problem and actually try to fix it m8.

1. Add coolant and be sure that your coolant is good. You've done this. That's only STEP 1 in diagnosing.

2. Check your oil level and see if there's coolant present. Coolant in the oil typically looks like a whitish paste. If this is the case, there is a leak internally somewhere. Most likely, your head gasket.

3. You need to do a pressure test on the system while its cool. to be sure you don't have an externally visible coolant leak somewhere. If you find a leak, you need to fix it (obviously). You should also be checking to be certain the cap on the radiator is sealing properly. There will typically be yellow gunk around it if its been leaking. Same with the oil cap.

4. Check to see if your thermostat is functioning. Some people can do this on the vehicle by squeezing the coolant hose, and waiting until the thermostat opens. When this happens, you can feel the pressure in the hose change. My personal recommendation is to put it into a pot of water and set it to boil. If its functioning, it will pop open right around boiling temperature. If it doesn't open... it isn't functioning.

5. Inspect the belts and the water pump. Does your water pump have any shaft play? Is the belt installed properly, or failing somehow? You can also manually turn the water pump to be sure its actually movable.

6. Is there any type of blockage to the cooling system? Is your radiator fan spinning, and turning on and off as necessary? Is your A/C installed and does it work? Is it on when you're doing this?

If you're ONLY noticing overheating at high engine loads, I would suspect it isn't a fan related issue.

Outlanded Oct 14, 2011 09:59 PM

I've had similar issues in the past with another vehicle, fine normal, but under full load would ge hot. was the headgasket and it was spitting coolant too as the cooling system filled with exhaust gases.

+1 for headgasket unfortunately.

donmeca2020 Oct 15, 2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04 (Post 9673309)
donmeca2020.

People are offering you advice and you're just doing your own thing. Stop beating on your car to solve the problem and actually try to fix it m8.

1. Add coolant and be sure that your coolant is good. You've done this. That's only STEP 1 in diagnosing.

2. Check your oil level and see if there's coolant present. Coolant in the oil typically looks like a whitish paste. If this is the case, there is a leak internally somewhere. Most likely, your head gasket.

3. You need to do a pressure test on the system while its cool. to be sure you don't have an externally visible coolant leak somewhere. If you find a leak, you need to fix it (obviously). You should also be checking to be certain the cap on the radiator is sealing properly. There will typically be yellow gunk around it if its been leaking. Same with the oil cap.

4. Check to see if your thermostat is functioning. Some people can do this on the vehicle by squeezing the coolant hose, and waiting until the thermostat opens. When this happens, you can feel the pressure in the hose change. My personal recommendation is to put it into a pot of water and set it to boil. If its functioning, it will pop open right around boiling temperature. If it doesn't open... it isn't functioning.

5. Inspect the belts and the water pump. Does your water pump have any shaft play? Is the belt installed properly, or failing somehow? You can also manually turn the water pump to be sure its actually movable.

6. Is there any type of blockage to the cooling system? Is your radiator fan spinning, and turning on and off as necessary? Is your A/C installed and does it work? Is it on when you're doing this?

If you're ONLY noticing overheating at high engine loads, I would suspect it isn't a fan related issue.

i've added the coolant, and looked all over for any visible leaks. i didnt find anything at all. im going to check the thermostat next and check to see if the fan is spining also. thanks for the advice {thumbup} i'll keeo everyone posted

ProPilot04 Oct 15, 2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 9674289)
i've added the coolant, and looked all over for any visible leaks. i didnt find anything at all. im going to check the thermostat next and check to see if the fan is spining also. thanks for the advice {thumbup} i'll keeo everyone posted

The leaks may not show unless under pressure. Just an fyi.

donmeca2020 Oct 16, 2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04 (Post 9674515)
The leaks may not show unless under pressure. Just an fyi.

due to the weather and me having to go to work today, i decided im going to have to take a ride to AWDmotorsports tomorrow, i'll see what they say. im sure it probably is the headgasket. so i prefer having the people with the right skills do this job. i appreciate everyones help {thumbup}

barneyb Oct 16, 2011 10:46 AM

Take it easy on tomorrow's trip. If the head gasket is the culprit then what is happening is air is being pushed into the water jacket. This also means that coolant gets pushed to the jug - and, when full, onto the ground. So, things could go from bad to worse pretty fast.

donmeca2020 Oct 16, 2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 9676018)
Take it easy on tomorrow's trip. If the head gasket is the culprit then what is happening is air is being pushed into the water jacket. This also means that coolant gets pushed to the jug - and, when full, onto the ground. So, things could go from bad to worse pretty fast.

will do, good thing AWD is only about 20 or so miles away from me. plus as i said the car runs perfectly whikle driving normal ,so i would think i should have no problem. {thumbup}

ProPilot04 Oct 16, 2011 08:50 PM

Keep us posted on what this is/was so we can hone our interwebz diagnostic skills :lol:

donmeca2020 Oct 17, 2011 07:44 AM

well , i of course called ahead this morning before i left to go up on that 20 plus mile drive to AWD, it appears they arent open today or maybe they just open late..... if i dont hear anything back from them shortly then i'll just go to work like normal and try again tomorrow. sucks because i was looking forward to geting the car fixed today... oh well, what can you do

BigT Oct 17, 2011 08:25 AM

Same thing was happening to me. I changed my thermostat and all was well.

ProPilot04 Oct 17, 2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 9677606)
well , i of course called ahead this morning before i left to go up on that 20 plus mile drive to AWD, it appears they arent open today or maybe they just open late..... if i dont hear anything back from them shortly then i'll just go to work like normal and try again tomorrow. sucks because i was looking forward to geting the car fixed today... oh well, what can you do

lol what? Did you have an appointment? :lol:

red97rum Oct 17, 2011 11:17 AM

Head gasket is a possibility but usually you will "push coolant" into the over flow tank, so it's usually full when you check it.

donmeca2020 Oct 17, 2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 9677740)
Same thing was happening to me. I changed my thermostat and all was well.

i hope its something that simple lol

Originally Posted by ProPilot04 (Post 9678112)
lol what? Did you have an appointment?

No, but im glad i called ahead instead of driving all the way to coral springs and finding out their closed . i would have been pretty pissed :lol:

Originally Posted by red97rum (Post 9678216)
Head gasket is a possibility but usually you will "push coolant" into the over flow tank, so it's usually full when you check it.

like i said i hope its not that

donmeca2020 Oct 19, 2011 06:37 AM

well after dropping her off to AWD yesterday morning, i patiently was waiting all day to get the call to come pick up her. i ended up getting a call from shawn at around 5:30 - 6ish. he told me they were doing diagnostics to my car all day and they came to the conclusion that it is more then likely my HEAD GASKET......

So i had to end up leaving my blue beast at AWD overnight, but since my car is there not only will i be getting the head gasket fixed, im also having them throw in some ARP head studs, and take my old exhaust set up off and install a Greddy Ti and downpipe that i had sitting in my house for the last few months !!!