EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/621273-looking-all-evo-8-9-people-6-speed-still.html)

Erik@MIL.SPEC Aug 26, 2015 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by EvoIX89 (Post 11498317)
And your running a red! Now I'm really interested. I have a Red too, love this turbo

I don't want to clutter this thread, but you can check out mine in the build section. Got one of the new Xona HTZ Reds. Porting both the hotside and comp side. Comp side will get done here shortly.

EvoIX89 Sep 16, 2015 07:30 PM

Big update for my car, I sold my FP Red Setup today. Mani, Turbo, 02 housing, and down pipe. decided to do something different. I purchased a Xona Rotor 7164 T3 turbo from TPG tuning. Gonna go Forward facing too. Kind of quick decision but someone offered to buy it for a price i couldn't pass up. So i will be pushing 500whp on pump and hopefully close to 600 on E85. And really put this trans and Motul Fluid to the test! Ill had the Turbo Saturday and Hopefully a Hot parts Forward facing kit in the coming weeks.

Laxman Sep 26, 2015 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC (Post 11496999)
Jackstands are a good little trick. I'll have to do that when we fill her up. Besides getting all the gears REM Isofinished, I had everything WPC treated as well...gears, input shafts, sliders...everything. Gives me a little added insurance against things going south on E85 :cool:

Something like this definitely makes me want to go back to a 6 speed with a cooler added. 4 the gear let go on the last Shep 6 speed from lots of track time with 370 whp and high outside temps

Erik@MIL.SPEC Sep 26, 2015 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Laxman (Post 11512549)
Something like this definitely makes me want to go back to a 6 speed with a cooler added. 4 the gear let go on the last Shep 6 speed from lots of track time with 370 whp and high outside temps

You broke a Shep 6 speed? Interesting. That's the first I've heard of that.

You should definitely cryo the gear set and possibly WPC treat it too...with a cooler of course :beer:

Good insurance if you ask me.

Laxman Sep 26, 2015 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC (Post 11512550)
You broke a Shep 6 speed? Interesting. That's the first I've heard of that.

You should definitely cryo the gear set and possibly WPC treat it too...with a cooler of course :beer:

Good insurance if you ask me.

Yup, the lesson learned is to never use Redline fluid as was instructed. It clogged up the cooling channels and cooked the trans leading to a 4 the gear failure. Oddly enough, it did not let go until in between track sessions.

Now I'm rocking an Evo 5 5-speed, but really wanting to go back to a Shep 6 with a cooler. The 5 speed is awful for highway cruising and the wrong ratio for the track I'm running on.

Erik@MIL.SPEC Sep 26, 2015 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Laxman (Post 11512555)
Yup, the lesson learned is to never use Redline fluid as was instructed. It clogged up the cooling channels and cooked the trans leading to a 4 the gear failure. Oddly enough, it did not let go until in between track sessions.

Now I'm rocking an Evo 5 5-speed, but really wanting to go back to a Shep 6 with a cooler. The 5 speed is awful for highway cruising and the wrong ratio for the track I'm running on.

I was wondering about the Redline Lightweight Shockproof they recommended...is that what you had in there, the blue stuff?

Makes me want to stick with the Castrol SynTorq LT I use...75W-85 and meant for high temperatures. Same weight as the factory fill and same fluid used in the Viper transmissions (OEM Dodge fill). You have to change it out twice as much (gets a little notchy/less slick), but man, that stuff shifts like butter on the 6 speed and it's a full synthetic.

I change it out every 7500 miles or so (when my car is running).

Jp7 Sep 26, 2015 09:53 AM

I have the shep "high power" 6 speed in my MR.

I had the trans rebuilt while I had my engine built. Trans still worked fine and nothing was broken when I had it rebuilt.

The only problem I have had with my 6 speed I had right away when the car was brand new. It was the same for 20K miles until I had shep rebuild it.

Shifting into 2nd from 1st while gently accelerating would sometimes sorta "knotch" or engage harsh. Only at low rpms, like if I upshifted at 2000rpm. Problem has been fixed with the rebuild. I also had the higher top speed final drive put in (team M-factory, I forget the ratio)

Car is now 530whp on E85. I forget the torque value. Turbo is HTA3076R. 2.3 buschur engine.

I really love the 6 speed with the taller final drive gear ratio, cruising at 70mph is lower rpm.

Erik@MIL.SPEC Sep 26, 2015 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 11512562)
I have the shep "high power" 6 speed in my MR.

I had the trans rebuilt while I had my engine built. Trans still worked fine and nothing was broken when I had it rebuilt.

The only problem I have had with my 6 speed I had right away when the car was brand new. It was the same for 20K miles until I had shep rebuild it.

Shifting into 2nd from 1st while gently accelerating would sometimes sorta "knotch" or engage harsh. Only at low rpms, like if I upshifted at 2000rpm. Problem has been fixed with the rebuild. I also had the higher top speed final drive put in (team M-factory, I forget the ratio)

Car is now 530whp on E85. I forget the torque value. Turbo is HTA3076R. 2.3 buschur engine.

I really love the 6 speed with the taller final drive gear ratio, cruising at 70mph is lower rpm.

The Castrol SynTorq LT fixed the notchy 2nd gear shift from 1st. This was on an OEM transmission. Changed fluid at 12,000 miles and it stopped. Got 175,000 miles out of the OEM 6 speed before I sold it and bought a 6 speed from Shep (nothing wrong on my original 6 speed).

Jp7 Sep 26, 2015 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC (Post 11512566)
The Castrol SynTorq LT fixed the notchy 2nd gear shift from 1st. This was on an OEM transmission. Changed fluid at 12,000 miles and it stopped. Got 175,000 miles out of the OEM 6 speed before I sold it and bought a 6 speed from Shep (nothing wrong on my original 6 speed).

I had the original OEM fluid until I had a clutch changed when the car had 15,000 miles? (It was 2009 I can't remember)

Trans was rebuilt at basically exactly 20,000 last year - I am running what shep told me to run.

Car has 20,800 miles on it today (I actually drove it for the 2nd time this year yesterday and got it up to 20psi)

Running a tank of 93 right now - might not get a chance to go back to e85 this year.

I am installing some gauges and things.

Laxman Sep 26, 2015 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC (Post 11512556)
I was wondering about the Redline Lightweight Shockproof they recommended...is that what you had in there, the blue stuff?

Makes me want to stick with the Castrol SynTorq LT I use...75W-85 and meant for high temperatures. Same weight as the factory fill and same fluid used in the Viper transmissions (OEM Dodge fill). You have to change it out twice as much (gets a little notchy/less slick), but man, that stuff shifts like butter on the 6 speed and it's a full synthetic.

I change it out every 7500 miles or so (when my car is running).

Yes, I ran the Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Never again would I run that fluid. I'm using Motul now and my 5 speed shifts extremely well. How much is the Castrol?

Dula Oct 22, 2015 11:53 AM

sorry for being kinda late to the party on this thread... got tuned a couple of months ago and virtual dyno (we do not have an AWD dyno where I am at) has me around 710 on e85 and I think 450 to 500 on 91 octane. 25k on the odo and stock 6 speed tranny... and going to Cosworth 280's instead of the 272's I had in it.

mrfred Oct 22, 2015 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dula (Post 11525503)
sorry for being kinda late to the party on this thread... got tuned a couple of months ago and virtual dyno (we do not have an AWD dyno where I am at) has me around 710 on e85 and I think 450 to 500 on 91 octane. 25k on the odo and stock 6 speed tranny... and going to Cosworth 280's instead of the 272's I had in it.

710 whp on a 6-speed? That's gotta be a record if correct.

G20 Oct 22, 2015 11:15 PM

Mine is at 465whp/450tqs on e85. HKS GT-II, 2.3 RRE build
Scott tuned and kept the torques down to save my 6-speed from his experience. On Exedy Twin, over 103k miles and still running great.
I think it's the torque at low rpms that would kill the trans. Thinking going with the bigger turbo later. The torque comes in too strong and early with the 2.3 and GT-II which is fun but got me worry sometimes.

Fireescape Oct 23, 2015 03:59 AM

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/in...howtopic=93995

mrfred Oct 23, 2015 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fireescape (Post 11525807)

Great to see that there's love for the 6-speed in Australia as well.