EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/330085-official-evo-modding-dummies.html)

chaotichoax Jul 19, 2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3star2nr (Post 5902364)

I see alot of guys here buying manual boost controlers cause they are cheaper and "do the same thing" I'm sorry but I would NEVER trust my engine to a manual boost controller. If you are willing to spend 1500 on a big turbo why would you not spend 300 on a good boost controller? or 150 on a good gauge?

makes no sense to me.

umm not sure I've heard of too many mbc's fail or go bad

many go with a mbc because it is simple and easy to work with

ebc's can be a pita to set up and the extra features aren't worth four times the price of a mbc

hytek369 Jul 20, 2008 08:11 AM

Do only self-tuners have widebands? When is the right time to get a wideband? I know the main use is to view A/F ratios, which helps tuning. What other reason is there for me to get one?

Also, I know people recommend Zeitronix. What makes them better than AEM or Innovate XD-16 & LC1 Wideband?

Besides getting a O2 sensor bung on the downpipe, is there anything else I would need to modify for the installation? Is there any wire splicing needed for the ECU?

itznoraa Jul 21, 2008 01:32 AM

im planning the route my evo will take and a quick question.

I want to get the basic tune but i wanna do bolt ons as well.

how many bolt ons can i have b4 i need another tune

mods as of now: intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler plumbing, etc. simple stuff like that

3star2nr Jul 21, 2008 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax (Post 5908021)
umm not sure I've heard of too many mbc's fail or go bad

many go with a mbc because it is simple and easy to work with

ebc's can be a pita to set up and the extra features aren't worth four times the price of a mbc

trust me dude they are {thumbup}

lovevo Jul 21, 2008 07:09 PM

hey bro great info , i have a jdm 9 and i want to get into mid 11's as cheap and efficient as possible please list me mods thanks bro ...

LiLRJ55 Jul 24, 2008 06:17 PM

thanks good thread

LiLRJ55 Jul 24, 2008 06:20 PM

i have a question do you think turbo timer is worth the money

chaotichoax Jul 29, 2008 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by LiLRJ55 (Post 5929051)

if you get a simple cheap one it can't hurt

I have one and if I beat on my car and didn't get a chance to let it cool down a lot while driving I let it run...if I granny'ed it to work in the morning I just shut it down

the reality is regardless you should drive out of boost for the last few minutes of your journey to help cool everything down and not spin the turbo as much

hytek369 Jul 30, 2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by LiLRJ55 (Post 5929051)

you can buy some that are built in your alarm. i think compustar has one.

Fly Rye Aug 2, 2008 07:17 PM

i am a new member, i am buying my EVO as soon as my car sells and this has helped me like you cant imagine. i been doing some reseach, wathcing videos, and didnt know what some things were. after reading this, i kno. this is the car for me, and i know what my goals are for now and what i want done once i get this BEAST. thanks for your time and this awesome post.

Mayobeach Aug 9, 2008 11:35 AM

Very enjoyable read. I am very know to the EVO community, plan on getting one this spring, and this helped me out a lot. I don't plan on modding mine very much as i want to use it as a DD as well, but some of the mods are very interesting.

hytek369 Aug 12, 2008 01:59 PM

does replacing the stock plastic intake pipe really affect engine idling? I thought it was the open element filters that cause the idling issues. I was planning to get a steel hard pipe from Dejon or PPI and still keep the stock airbox.

chaotichoax Aug 12, 2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by hytek369 (Post 6001679)
does replacing the stock plastic intake pipe really affect engine idling? I thought it was the open element filters that cause the idling issues. I was planning to get a steel hard pipe from Dejon or PPI and still keep the stock airbox.

the stock intake pipe is a flexible rubber/plastic...switching to a steel pipe will make your MAF sensor readings bounce around which is what causes an erratic idle

pheral Aug 20, 2008 08:22 PM

Thanks for the listing. Nice to have it all detailed in one place. Wish I would have come across this a year ago :)

apevo8 Sep 2, 2008 01:43 PM

great write up, but i searched for some sort of guide that explains the different turbos and there intended uses, but could not find it, is there such a post or is one needed?