EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/751978-whats-fair-price-timing-belt-install-full-60k-maintenance-2018-a.html)

heel2toe Dec 6, 2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11851802)
I don't find it to be a pain at all, and XL gloves are just about snug on my hands. Also I don't need the belt on to torque the bolts to 96in/lbs. Can hold it by hand no problem. Maybe its because my hands are big enough to hold onto over 1/2 the pulley lol

That's what Im saying...its a nonissue so im baffled why it challenges so many folks. My hands are smaller so might struggle to get a good grip so I just take my old serp belt slip it over and pull up as im tightening. Super easy.

Originally Posted by Kreeker (Post 11851804)
They just showed me all the new stuff installed on the car with it on the lift. It seems like it would be a nightmare to do it without a lift...

Honestly, having a lift is a game changer with a lot of mechanical jobs just in terms of comfort and visibility etc etc. But having done a few timing belts with jack stands I dont think it makes all that much of a difference for this job.

kaj Dec 6, 2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11851802)
I don't find it to be a pain at all, and XL gloves are just about snug on my hands. Also I don't need the belt on to torque the bolts to 96in/lbs. Can hold it by hand no problem. Maybe its because my hands are big enough to hold onto over 1/2 the pulley lol

Well, maybe you're just a man's man. <3 We're poking fun at vetting the bolts started. Tightening is cake.

They just showed me all the new stuff installed on the car with it on the lift. It seems like it would be a nightmare to do it without a lift...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...dbcefd5e6b.jpg

kinda. I'm faster without a lift, more comfortable with. Depending on my mood and energy level I'll do either way.

barneyb Dec 6, 2018 11:28 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...dbcefd5e6b.jpg

Interesting, looks like the mechanic used his impact anvil on the crank bolt.

Kreeker Dec 6, 2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11851835)
Interesting, looks like the mechanic used his impact anvil on the crank bolt.

Should I be alarmed? I just drove it back 50 miles and it seems fine.

kaj Dec 6, 2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kreeker (Post 11851842)

Nah ,you're good. {thumbup}

Pal215 Dec 6, 2018 02:06 PM

As mentioned, it's fine, but the mechanic was lazy. Using an impact socket can prevent from rounding out the square part of that crank bolt. That area is meant to be used for manually rotating the engine and stopping the crank from moving, not removal of the crank bolt.

barneyb Dec 6, 2018 05:49 PM

Whether you can do that or not depends on the strength of the steel the bolt was made of. Apparently, its the good stuff. If the bolt was soft you'd chance spreading the outside of the head so it wouldn't fit a socket anymore and rounding the inside. So, this is just an observation on how good of bolt Mitsubishi used. I think I'd still use a socket.

Kreeker Dec 8, 2018 10:54 AM

Anyone have any ideas on why I'd now have what seems to be a horrible exhaust rattle (possible downpipe) after getting this done?

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11851878)
Whether you can do that or not depends on the strength of the steel the bolt was made of. Apparently, its the good stuff. If the bolt was soft you'd chance spreading the outside of the head so it wouldn't fit a socket anymore and rounding the inside. So, this is just an observation on how good of bolt Mitsubishi used. I think I'd still use a socket.

OK good!

barneyb Dec 8, 2018 01:07 PM

Who did the job? If not a Mitsubishi knowledgeable mechanic the oil pump driven balance shaft could be out of time. The sprocket on the timing belt driven oil pump drives the oil pump but then on the back side of the pump there's a gear that drives the balance shaft. So, just lining up the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket is not enough to insure the balance shaft is in time. If you are experiencing a vibration at around 4000 rpm its probably the balance shaft.

Kreeker Dec 8, 2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11852043)
Who did the job? If not a Mitsubishi knowledgeable mechanic the oil pump driven balance shaft could be out of time. The sprocket on the timing belt driven oil pump drives the oil pump but then on the back side of the pump there's a gear that drives the balance shaft. So, just lining up the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket is not enough to insure the balance shaft is in time. If you are experiencing a vibration at around 4000 rpm its probably the balance shaft.

Performance shop who works on evos. The owner has an evo and the tech who did most of the work has an evo as well.

Video of the noise:

Note: I did not have this rattle before I got the work done on Thursday. They did full 60k service btw.,

barneyb Dec 8, 2018 01:32 PM

If they screwed something up they have no excuse. Its probably going to take some looking.

Kreeker Dec 8, 2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11852047)
If they screwed something up they have no excuse. Its probably going to take some looking.

Does it sound anything like the balance shaft?

When doing the timing belt and/or water pump is the engine moved at all? I still have stock downpipe, I wonder if the headshield could have been in bad condition already and it got dislodged.

kaj Dec 8, 2018 02:08 PM

Don't stress. Balance shafts don't cause rattles.

It's always hard to diagnose noises by watching videos ,but sounds like a heat shield. Have someone rev the car while you listen.

Kreeker Dec 8, 2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11852043)

I just went for a drive and the balance shaft is definitively out of time... I'm going to take it back next week, but is this dangerous to drive on?

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11852051)
Don't stress. Balance shafts don't cause rattles.

It's always hard to diagnose noises by watching videos ,but sounds like a heat shield. Have someone rev the car while you listen.

I fixed the low rpm heat shield rattles with some worm clamps, but my balance shaft is also out of time.

kaj Dec 8, 2018 09:22 PM

How can you tell?