EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   z06 brakes on evo??????? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/257002-z06-brakes-evo.html)

Vishnu_Evo8 Mar 12, 2007 12:42 PM

ouch .. 6 pads. sounds expensive to replace.

mitsuorder Mar 12, 2007 12:53 PM

More and more parts for this balsa wood floored bull in a China cabinet are made in Australia these days. The drive shaft tunnle in the C5 and most likely the C6, which is about the most impressive thing on the car next to the engine, is Ausie built as well.

ultimatesteve Mar 12, 2007 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 4078655)
Trust me, you DO NOT want those brakes on your car.

jeff

AND the reasoning would be?

bdking57 Mar 12, 2007 01:05 PM

Those brakes are not even set up properly for an AWD car... There are alot of complaints from the z06 guys about these brakes destroying pads and rotors with their exotic setup under extreme track conditions for prolonged periods of time..but thats on a z06 which needs alot of braking. The complete set is around $1450, which includes the neccesary hardware.

ultimatesteve Mar 12, 2007 01:48 PM

I think I will let bryan attempt it first and then just be a poser and copy him if it works out fine.

swordfish Mar 12, 2007 01:51 PM

See my signature? Spend money elsewhere. In response to post 18.

Even the medium core (as opposed to hard core) Z06 track guys replace them because they flex so damn bad.

jeff

RazorLab Mar 12, 2007 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 4079009)

Even the medium core (as opposed to hard core) Z06 track guys replace them because they flex so damn bad.

jeff

Interesting, what do they end up replacing them with?

Vigo Mar 12, 2007 02:02 PM

The Z06 uses leaf springs?! That's just lame! No wonder it's so inexpensive for the type of car that it is. Other than the wood floor, what other things did they do to cut cost?

swordfish Mar 12, 2007 02:03 PM

I see more stop techs than anything. I myself favor the Alcons. The 6 pad setup is just plain idiotic on GM's part. If you really beat the crap out of the stock brakes, it will literallly toss some of those small pads right out of the calliper.

... and it's a transverse leaf... Not a bad setup for spirited driving and comfort all in one. The Z06 does ride great for the way it handles.

jeff

RazorLab Mar 12, 2007 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vigo (Post 4079072)
The Z06 uses leaf springs?!

Oh god here we go again... and again.

Czubaka Mar 12, 2007 02:08 PM

The balsa wood floor (sandwiched between composite sheets) isn't to cut costs, it's to cut weight.

Vigo Mar 12, 2007 02:11 PM

I'm not trying to flame. Sorry if I came across like that. I just did not know. I have much respect for the Z06. It just blew my mind that a car of this caliber uses that type of suspension. If I'm in the market for a 500 horsepower car, this will be my choice.{thumbup} It's the best bang for the buck supercar in my opinion.

Tristar Mar 12, 2007 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Czubaka (Post 4079094)
The balsa wood floor (sandwiched between composite sheets) isn't to cut costs, it's to cut weight.

Im glad someone else sees Balsa floor and doesnt immediately start complaining. Balsa is like a natural composite due to its strength and light weight. Plus the balsa is actually sandwiched between layers of plastic.

About the leaf springs, its a transverse mounting, and it is a single leaf as opposed to multiple stacked leafs. It is actually a good system. A spring is a spring, its the dampers handling that spring rate that make all the difference... Those leaf springs allow that low hood line as well.

Vigo Mar 12, 2007 06:13 PM

Whatever works and cost effectiveness seems to be philosophy of the Z06. Not the most expensive.

fast03evo Mar 12, 2007 06:28 PM

those brakes are REALLY touchy on mine. they are sick to stop though lol