EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Clunking front Noise on EVO X MR (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/486435-clunking-front-noise-evo-x-mr.html)

Iowa999 Jul 2, 2012 11:10 AM

Being the grumpy guy that I am, I was about to get in your face about needing a picture to find the two bolts that connect the STB to the firewall. But, on the off-chance that this wasn't a silly question, I took my own advice from last week and checked my car, first. Ah. Seems it might go from STB to bracket and then from bracket to firewall. Maybe not a silly question, after all.

People who have had success eliminating a front clunk by tightening the STB bolts: are you talking about the two rather-obvious bolts that stare at you when you open the hood, or are you talking about two different and hidden bolts that might, for example, hold the bracket to the firewall and are, therefore, under the heat-shield?

Iowa999 Jul 2, 2012 11:11 AM

double-post

jackfrog Aug 23, 2012 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999 (Post 10257101)
Being the grumpy guy that I am, I was about to get in your face about needing a picture to find the two bolts that connect the STB to the firewall. But, on the off-chance that this wasn't a silly question, I took my own advice from last week and checked my car, first. Ah. Seems it might go from STB to bracket and then from bracket to firewall. Maybe not a silly question, after all.

People who have had success eliminating a front clunk by tightening the STB bolts: are you talking about the two rather-obvious bolts that stare at you when you open the hood, or are you talking about two different and hidden bolts that might, for example, hold the bracket to the firewall and are, therefore, under the heat-shield?

the two bolts that sometimes create noise are located in the center of the front strut tower bar. you will see them right on top of the engine bay when the hood is open.

Leekitchens1234 Nov 2, 2013 01:40 PM

Somebody help. I have a 2010 GSR and I started getting a clunking noise coming from the front end last night leaving work. Ive got ohlins coilovers if that matters, but it just started last night. I think its coming from the drivers side and I can feel it clunking through the floor when it does it. It only does it when the suspension moves it feels like. So that made me think immediately that its something with the suspension but idk for sure. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Iowa999 Nov 2, 2013 02:04 PM

Ohlins come with their own plates, correct? If so, then I'd be looking at the STB bolts and then the sway-bar ends and brackets. And while you have the car in the air, yank on the wheels to check the hubs/bearings.

Leekitchens1234 Nov 2, 2013 02:51 PM

Ok. Thanks! I appreciate it! Ill check it out tonight after I get home.

Cyp May 26, 2015 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Leekitchens1234 (Post 11009079)
Ok. Thanks! I appreciate it! Ill check it out tonight after I get home.

Were you able to figure out where the clunking noise was coming from? I just started having that issue myself

El Boricua Oct 2, 2015 01:21 PM

back to top...

I need more ideas... I changed a lot of stuff but still have the clunking noise..