EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/647972-evo9-wing-failure-track-related-fyi.html)

Xplosiv Apr 16, 2013 07:24 AM

I think the wind speed and angles are going to be a very important factor. Ive been over 130 numerous times without issue. But I generally dont drive that fast on exceptionally windy days just because okie wind can push the whole car off the road lol.

silverevo05 Jan 11, 2019 03:50 PM

Still have that M3 gurney flap but im hesitant to put it on my 8 wing since they are not around that much anymore

MinusPrevious Jan 11, 2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by silverevo05 (Post 11856371)
Still have that M3 gurney flap but im hesitant to put it on my 8 wing since they are not around that much anymore

(BTW, talk about unearthing an old thread:thumbup:)

The 8 wing, from what ive read, is filled w/poly-U foam & has a lot more structure as a result

The 9 wing is hollow & under the right circumstances, can fail (as i know too well) :crap:

I think youre Ok to run that flap @silverevo05

silverevo05 Jan 11, 2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11856372)
(BTW, talk about unearthing an old thread:thumbup:)

The 8 wing, from what ive read, is filled w/poly-U foam & has a lot more structure as a result

The 9 wing is hollow & under the right circumstances, can fail (as i know too well) :crap:

I think youre Ok to run that flap @silverevo05

damn straight haha....very few old timers left. ive been off this site for almost a year, and just got back into it again.

i really liked the look, but cant find the pic from behind of the wing with the m3 spoiler, but ya i wouldnt risk it because i don think i can find anothe nice 8 silver wing

Balrok Jan 12, 2019 11:39 AM

You could also simply add bracing. If it's a race car I'd get a Billet water jet piece and place it in the middle. If it's a street car i'd make a piece of billet or carbon the length of the wing underneath and into the sides.

Pirana Jan 12, 2019 09:31 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...349d3add00.jpg
these were my wings. I folded 2 ix wings with gurney flaps. Now i use a viii wing with a gurney flap and no problems yet

MinusPrevious Jan 13, 2019 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pirana (Post 11856495)
these were my wings. I folded 2 ix wings with gurney flaps. Now i use a viii wing with a gurney flap and no problems yet

Thanks Vic. Yeah, remember seeing that pic. Great to see you still on the boards

Joe :beer:

kaj Jan 13, 2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by silverevo05 (Post 11856371)

When I made mine, I followed an article that had recommendation on the max useable height for a gurney flap. Anyone looking into that or does it really not matter and I was per thinking it?

kyoo Jan 17, 2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pirana (Post 11856495)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...349d3add00.jpg

i did the 9 to 8 wing swap for the added strength, given i've folded one. was tough to find a wicked white one (05 evos only) it's minor but damn i think the 9 wing looks better.

LetsGetThisDone Jan 17, 2019 10:33 AM

The wings are identical except hollow vs filled, and the inside panels of the end plates are painted body color on the 9 wing. The paint can easily be done on an 8 wing.

kyoo Jan 17, 2019 02:58 PM

i thought it's blocked off, not just painted. hence the bolts that show on the 8's

codgi Jan 17, 2019 08:09 PM

Yeah I don't think that's right. The VIII's side plates are also carbon fiber (and there used to be TODO here for the VIII wing as to how to remove the outside end plates so you can see all the carbon fiber) while AFAIR the IX only the wing itself was carbon. This was around the time of the mid 2000s global carbon fiber "shortage" and as I remember it was given as the reason for the change. Even if I remember this wrong, OEM the VIII has those bolts exposed so just painting the inside wouldn't give you the exact same look as can be seen in the pic above where the IX's end plates don't expose those bolts.

OT I had the OEM IX gurney flap on my VIII wing it never had any issues with years of tracking. So it should work well for others.

psushoe Jan 20, 2019 04:00 PM

Has anyone considered or tried filling the IX wing with an expandable foam or something similar?

MinusPrevious Jan 20, 2019 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by psushoe (Post 11857536)
Has anyone considered or tried filling the IX wing with an expandable foam or something similar?

I needed this suggestion back in 2013 when i posted this :crap:

ViciousLSD Nov 20, 2021 12:16 AM

I would like to try an inject foam and maybe add an aluminum bar, if someone could please help me figure out how to separate the horizontal from the sides :)