EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Project Cars / Build Threads (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads-344/)
-   -   terror rising's street/auto-x build (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/project-cars-build-threads/677371-terror-risings-street-auto-x-build.html)

Terror Rising Apr 18, 2014 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The mini-tuck is done other than about a 12" length of 1" loom. While I'm waiting for that I've got the rear in the air and have started to pull parts out. We'll see if I can get the diff out tomorrow and the Weir installed. I'm getting pretty antsy to get it running now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. That's all for today.

Terror Rising Apr 23, 2014 05:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, as with everything, it took a little longer than expected to get the rear disassembled. Got stuck for a couple of days with balljoints that wouldn't pop out even with a 4 lb sledge hammer. Broke down today and bought a $20 Harbor Freight ball joint separator and all four were out in 2 minutes. Also managed to ruin both camber and toe bolts in the rear. I couldn't believe they stripped as they're still new looking with no corrosion. A quick order from STM and I should be all set there.

I measured all the bushings (rear trailing arm, rear bump steer, diff mounts, and mustache bar) so I'll get the press tools made tomorrow at work. I'm also going to rip into the rear diff tomorrow and try to get the Weir 12-plate installed.

charlie.tunah Apr 24, 2014 02:12 AM

Nice progress! Yeah I went ahead and got the HF press before trying the rear ball joints. That thing made it very easy. Getting them back on was MUCH harder than removing. I just wound up using a c-clamp to put pressure on the ball joint to keep it from spinning.

I also want that rear diff.

tuck looks good.

Terror Rising Apr 24, 2014 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't put in too much work today due to some burrs in the diff case. I'll take it to work tomorrow to smooth it all out. Nobody had ever fixed my diff so the plates were improperly stacked. Planning to press out all the bushings Saturday and have the rear back on the ground by the end of the weekend.

Tunah - Thanks for the tuck props. I can't wait to get everything back together and see it. We'll see how the reassembly goes, I was already planning on having to use the old C-clamp.

Terror Rising Apr 26, 2014 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, got some Diaqueen LSD oil and installed the Weir 12-plate LSD. Also got all my rear suspension bushings installed (diff, mustache, trailing, bump steer). Shot blasted my diff mounts and put a coat of paint on them so they're not all rusty looking. It's not going to be on the ground this weekend as I'm still waiting on the camber/toe bolt kits. I'll put everything in tomorrow and just wait on those bolts.

Terror Rising Apr 30, 2014 06:45 PM

The rear diff, swaybar, and all arms besides the camber/toe are connected as I'm still waiting on those offset bolt kits to get here. Valve cover's on, injectors are cleaned and ready to go, battery's at the store to see if they can get any more juice into it (107 cranking amps instead of 170). I will probably end up with a new PC680 by the time it's ready to go. Going to extend the power harness tomorrow after work then take a long weekend and hopefully have it running. That totally depends on the camber/toe bolt kits, though. Cross your fingers!

charlie.tunah May 1, 2014 02:47 AM

did you port your wastegate ports? What actuator will you be using? What will be your target boost profile?

Just curious to see how your setup compares to mine in regards to spool and creep. My hotside is ported by FP, but the wastegate ports are untouched. Same o2 housing as you. Did you do any porting in the o2? I didn't see the need...

Terror Rising May 1, 2014 05:46 AM

I didn't port the wastegate ports. I'm going to be using the stock actuator and will probably be shooting for the same 27 to 25 taper you have per your thread. I also saw no need in porting the O2. I have to break in the clutch so it'll be a hot minute before I get to tuning the boost but I would like to compare our setup performance when that time comes.

Terror Rising May 2, 2014 05:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got everything back together and all fluids are in. I need to solder on some connectors to my COP kit so I have spark, then she's ready to start. I was expecting a package from MAP today with my ETS rad pipe, EGR plate, and Zaklee upper timing cover. I found out my ETS pipe just shipped today, and my EGR plate and clear timing cover show as delivered but they're not at my house. I took the day off and was home the entire day so there's no way they delivered it. Luckily I had made my own EGR plate and I can use my stock timing cover and rad hose for now. Still not happy they're not here and not looking forward to waiting again for them to show up.

Terror Rising May 3, 2014 05:09 PM

The car is running and driving! Started like a champ and I have about 30 miles on her so far. I have a clunk in the rear at low speeds which I think is the diff, but I'm going to retorque everything in the rear suspension tonight. Had some issues with Tephra V7 so I ended up editing my old tune for new injectors to get her driving and datalogging. Fuel trims look pretty decent so far.

It feels good to drive her again after four months. I can't wait to break in the clutch and start tuning for power. I need to thank the stranger who delivered the package that UPS lost to my house today. I assume it was whoever got it on their doorstep and noticed the address was incorrect. Anyway, that's all for now!

Here's a quick engine bay/idle vid I made for my out of state friends/family.

Idle Video

charlie.tunah May 4, 2014 01:41 AM

Sweeeeet!

Terror Rising May 4, 2014 04:37 PM

Got everything torqued again in the rear and still have a weird squeak/knock from the rear. I don't hear it normally driving but it would happen if I release the clutch too early though. I wish the clutch was broken in so I could throw some abuse at it and hear what happens. All diff bushings are tight so I don't know what would be doing it. When I first bought my car it clunked in the same scenario and I ended up putting a Blox front roll stop on which settled it down. Apparently the combo of roll stop, mustache bushings, and diff bushings is known to make noise but I haven't searched enough to see just what it sounds like. I also have some loud decel rattle assumedly coming from the lightweight flywheel and clutch combo.

On a positive note I really like the handling with all the new bushings and sways. The car felt planted before but now it's incredible. Again I can't wait to break in the clutch so I can start auto-xing again and see how it performs. Only about 370 miles to go.

Terror Rising May 5, 2014 06:30 PM

I went cruising some back roads today to break in my clutch and listen for noises coming from the car. I can't believe how incredible the car feels and handles. It handled well before, but with all the bushings (most notably the offset caster) and swaybars it feels absolutely glued to the road. The steering is definitely heavier than before but in a totally acceptable way. The car feels very flat and controlled in corners including over bumps with the swaybars; the front isn't adjustable but the rear bar is set on medium. I honestly cannot come up with the words to accurately describe how planted the car feels. I now have a little over 200 miles on the clutch. At this rate I'll have it broken in by the weekend and then I can get to work diagnosing the rear end noise.

charlie.tunah May 6, 2014 02:19 AM

{thumbup}

misterchonger May 10, 2014 03:27 PM

Sweet build, have you gone back to auto x with this setup? I recently installed that whiteline rear sway but haven't gotten around to testing it out yet.