EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review-176/)
-   -   Sprint Booster Evo X GSR Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/505776-sprint-booster-evo-x-gsr-review.html)

mlomker Aug 22, 2010 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by <--MOVE OVER (Post 8555714)
so I'm assuming they're just assuming- like everyone else is assuming- that the SprintBooster doesn't do much

I can't imagine what a tune would have to do with it.

I haven't had time to experiment with this...I just have it on with the medium setting. I'm always doing 10 things at once on this car. I will be on a road course on Monday. Maybe I'll have time to turn it on & off and compare.

mlomker Aug 28, 2010 10:33 PM

Someone asked about this product on the 'other forum' and this link was provided to me as proof that the Sprint Booster simply amplifies the signal and is basically worthless.

Why hasn't the real company sued this outfit into oblivion? They are obviously using the company's name in the URL.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

evo_soul Aug 29, 2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mlomker (Post 8624570)
Someone asked about this product on the 'other forum' and this link was provided to me as proof that the Sprint Booster simply amplifies the signal and is basically worthless.

Why hasn't the real company sued this outfit into oblivion? They are obviously using the company's name in the URL.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

What other people and websites post is countless and always be perfect in its discription. I have spent countless posts and threads trying to explain sprintbooster and could never be right on the market. That said, you can always separate people into the two camps. Those who use sprintbooster and those who analyse it from afar / and condem the product as a handle full of resisters and stuff you can get at a electronic hardware store.

Sprintbooster is an advanced device that actively analysis user input and translate that into a modified signal that provides a satifisfying throttle response.

If you have driven with sprintbooster, you feel the difference. If you turn it off you will see the night and day difference. Its that simple.

I lent my sprintbooster (stupidly again) to a friend recently and it took me 2 weeks to get my unit back. Driving without it was killer. If you can survive a week without it off, your my hero. My car is CVT equipped. But an SST will still have the same elements of lag to deal with. for the manual is a different can of worms, but as you can see Move over explained his experience.

mlomker Aug 29, 2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul (Post 8625415)
What other people and websites post is countless

The reason that I pointed it out is this is a *reseller*, not just an individual with an opinion.

<--MOVE OVER Aug 30, 2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Noe18 (Post 8575693)
someone has to do a before and after video with cam aimed at rpm then compare stage 1 and 2

OK, so I did the comparison test with the camera aimed at the tach. I honestly don't "see" a difference when comparing the diff stages in the video so there's really no sense in posting it. All I can say is you can feel the diff in the response and you'll have to either do that yourself or go by my review and lap times posted above...

As far as racing results go, my last Official Time Attack (OTA) was at the Canadian Sport Compact Series on Aug 22. I came in 2nd place with the SprintBooster on the Stage1 setting. Here are the official lap times for the entire Time Attack event.....the SprintBooster def helped me get out of the corners faster!
http://cscs.ca/images/Lap_Times/time...%2C%202010.pdf

evo_soul Aug 30, 2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by <--MOVE OVER (Post 8627071)
OK, so I did the comparison test with the camera aimed at the tach. I honestly don't "see" a difference when comparing the diff stages in the video so there's really no sense in posting it. All I can say is you can feel the diff in the response and you'll have to either do that yourself or go by my review and lap times posted above...

As far as racing results go, my last Official Time Attack (OTA) was at the Canadian Sport Compact Series on Aug 22. I came in 2nd place with the SprintBooster on the Stage1 setting. Here are the official lap times for the entire Time Attack event.....the SprintBooster def helped me get out of the corners faster!

Were you a second behind that GTR eh? sweet. Cant wait to see how your suspension upgrade goes on the track.

Noe18 Sep 9, 2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by <--MOVE OVER (Post 8627071)

understand, i guess theres no point to post it

FFRGTM Jan 31, 2011 03:16 AM

Ok so in theory there is no way this device can actually remove the delay of dbw, because that delay is happening inside of the ecu. However for a given throttle input this unit gives the ecu a bigger one so it has time to catch up?

Does this device operate sort of on the concept of leading your shots if you were trying to hit a moving target?

As far as I can tell the evo x already has a ridiculously progressive throttle pedal, 50% throttle is pretty much WOT.... the delay is incredibly bad though.

FFRGTM Jan 31, 2011 03:28 AM

Ok not sure if this is a repost... but this white paper is pretty damn pertinent. No more speculation... if only someone would write up a "white paper" for every part released :)

http://peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

What I take away from this is that the throttle tps vs pedal map in ecuflash does exactly what the sprint booster does. Sad because I really want to get rid of the real throttle delay without effecting resolution or pedal linearity.

SprintBooster Jan 31, 2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by FFRGTM (Post 9034883)
Ok so in theory there is no way this device can actually remove the delay of dbw, because that delay is happening inside of the ecu. However for a given throttle input this unit gives the ecu a bigger one so it has time to catch up?

Does this device operate sort of on the concept of leading your shots if you were trying to hit a moving target?

As far as I can tell the evo x already has a ridiculously progressive throttle pedal, 50% throttle is pretty much WOT.... the delay is incredibly bad though.

FFRGTM, A lot of people have a few misconceptions on how Sprint Booster operates. EVOLUTION X owners like many in the Japanese Import Tuner market are sceptical when it comes to a product that makes the claim to fix or improve something. The truth is, the Import tuner market has had their hearts broken with products that talk a good game but fail to deliver. We know this because only within the last 6 months have our sales started to soar. Our most successful line of Sprint Boosters have been the Euro Cars (BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz to name a few). For year people in that genre have been crying out for improved throttle response, because it was just brutal and this is where our product was born. We patented the product, invested a great deal of time and resources in R&D and began to expand our products line up. We then made the decision to enter the domestic market and the in JEEP, Truck, and Modern Muscle cars, our product really hit home. In Japanese Import Cars, our hottest selling Sprint Boosters have been for the Nissan/Infiniti (350z / G35) + 370z / G37), the Hyundai Genesis, and finally the now the Mitsubishi EVO X/Ralliart/Lancer. As more and more people have tried the product they have reported back to us valuable feedback as well as questions. From this we have taken the time to draft together a quick FAQ in an attempt to dispel myths or misconceptions about the product.

1. I have seen this before, isn’t this just like xyz throttle controller product from xyz country?

Sprint Booster is a patented product. No one has invested the amount of time and resources we have to enhance the electronic “DRIVE BY WIRE” system. It is protected by a patent (GR1005429) in front of OBI (patent office in Greece) as well as internationally by patent application in front of PCT (WO2007066155).

Second, Sprint Booster is far more advanced than people think. The circuitry inside Sprint Booster is continuously monitoring pedal travel or in other words, what the driver is doing with his foot. It analyses angular change, rate of change etc... Using that information, Sprint Booster is far more effective at providing the right amount of throttle inputs that are in line with what the driver is demanding. This is regardless of WOT or partial throttle situations.

2. I can get a tune. Why would I waste my time with Sprint Booster?

The best way to answer this question goes back to how our product works. If you step on the pedal, a Sprint Booster is providing your ECU with a very accurate interpretation of what you want in regards to throttle. While Tuning system can modify your throttle MAPS to change thresholds, it’s very hard to get just the right amount of throttle response in certain situations, which ultimately means more tuning to get it right. With Sprint Booster, there are 2 levels of throttle response that we have created from months of R&D on the Mitsubishi platform. We engineered it to provide you with a very fluid response. Especially when dealing with the new MR SST transmission. Many people complain about the stock MR in regards to low gear hesitation, or strange shifting when on and off of the throttle. Getting back to tuning. Sprint Booster is not a tuner. It’s simply a plug and play modification that takes 5 minutes to install that connects to your pedal connector. It measures your inputs and translates a modified signal more in line with your expectations. This product works well with Tuning software that do not change the stock throttle maps.

3. Is Sprint Booster Safe and will this hurt my car?

If properly installed, yes Sprint Booster is very safe. Safety is something we take very seriously. This is why we subjected our product to ultra high TUV SUD testing which some would argue is the highest technical testing standard in the world. Sprint Booster has passed successfully the TUV tests (TUV SUD Automotive) and it is certified with European Conformity type approval ( E.C. type approval mark No e24031712) with regard to Directive 72/245/EEC as last amended by Directive 2006/28/EC. The e – mark is printed on each device. For more information about TUV can be found on the USA TUV website http://tuvamerica.com/industry/automotive.cfm

4. Where is Sprint Booster manufactured?

Sprint Booster is 100% made in Europe

5. 30 day money back guarantee? But what’s the catch?

No catch. With the Sprint Booster product line we have our entire dealer network offer a 30 day trial. Buying it online or purchasing it at a local dealer, it doesn’t matter. If you don’t like the product for whatever reason. RETURN IT and get 100% of your money back immediately. To take that promise even further. If you purchase your sprint booster from any authorized dealer and have issues with the product or reseller. Email us directly info@sprintboosterusa.com. We are serious about our brand and customer service.

6. Will my dealership void my warranty or know I did something to my throttle response?

No, Sprint Booster is not reflashing or modifying your cars ECU or Subsystems. It simply translates your throttle pedal inputs. In a sense restoring that traditional cable system feel to your throttle. Sprint Booster can be uninstalled at any time should you feel uncomfortable bringing your car into the dealership. Furthermore, with sprint booster installed, it cannot be detected by any diagnostic tool.

In fact, our product works so well, that a few Mitsubishi Dealerships are now currently selling our product.

SprintBooster Jan 31, 2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by FFRGTM (Post 9034887)
Ok not sure if this is a repost... but this white paper is pretty damn pertinent. No more speculation... if only someone would write up a "white paper" for every part released :)

http://peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

What I take away from this is that the throttle tps vs pedal map in ecuflash does exactly what the sprint booster does. Sad because I really want to get rid of the real throttle delay without effecting resolution or pedal linearity.

Generally, we rather like that this document exists. We know that everyone has their own opinion. And if you actually look indepth to the points brought up in this document (referred to as a white paper), You will see that the methods used for testing aren't very scientific at all. No analysis was done on the product itself, it wasnt even opened to see if the assumptions on its construction were true or not. When you sum everything up. We rather rely on the community, media, and our industry peers for feedback.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/4491706-post169.html

We hope this clears up any misconceptions about the product. The fact of the matter is when it comes to the internet, things can very easily be painted one way or another. But we are pround of the fact that our product is Patented, TUV tested, and has a high approval rating with actual customers. Try it, if it doesnt work for you, return it. And post your feedback, give it a formal review. We like to provide the community with real reviews. Good or Bad.

If you have any questions, please let us know. Info@sprintboosterusa.com
Sprint Booster USA

mrMTB Jan 31, 2011 01:49 PM

For anyone who is really interested in the nuts and bolts, here's a copy of the patent application for the device: http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...DISPLAY=STATUS

The technical details in the document refute the paper that FFRGTM links to... It is not a simple amplifier that scales the signal by 1.3. According to the description of the device, the invention uses the smoothed change rate of the accelerator pedal as an input to a function that works to modify the accelerator pedal position signal going to the ECU. By this, it also makes sense that the Green/Red switch adds another factor into the equation: whether it shortens the sampling period or targets a more aggressive maximum ramp rate, I can't tell from the documentation available.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images/PCT...gz_en.x4-b.jpg

One question, though, I see a mention of a cruise-control function (F) in the patent application. Is that something that is present in the EvoX application?

SprintBooster Feb 1, 2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrMTB (Post 9036520)
For anyone who is really interested in the nuts and bolts, here's a copy of the patent application for the device: http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...DISPLAY=STATUS

The technical details in the document refute the paper that FFRGTM links to... It is not a simple amplifier that scales the signal by 1.3. According to the description of the device, the invention uses the smoothed change rate of the accelerator pedal as an input to a function that works to modify the accelerator pedal position signal going to the ECU. By this, it also makes sense that the Green/Red switch adds another factor into the equation: whether it shortens the sampling period or targets a more aggressive maximum ramp rate, I can't tell from the documentation available.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images/PCT...gz_en.x4-b.jpg

One question, though, I see a mention of a cruise-control function (F) in the patent application. Is that something that is present in the EvoX application?

There is a road map for the evolution of our product based on the patents filed. While future design changes / implementation are proprietary, we are looking to evolve our product further.

To answer your question, Sprint Booster in its current form is designed to allow you to adjust throttle response either in stage 1 or stage 2. That is it for now.

Nsomniac Jun 10, 2011 01:02 AM

Sprint Booster Review - Evo X

When I was contacted to do the Sprint Booster review in my X, I have to admit I was slightly skeptical. My first impressions as I opened the package were that it looked small and easy to install. Both impressions were correct. I had it in the car and routed within a couple minutes. The only thing that I had difficulty with was getting the pins to line up without forcing it back on to the pedal. It wasn’t a design flaw. There is a very limited space to work with under the dash above the gas pedal, and it’s hard to get your hand to angle it straight on. It isn’t that bad though, and I would recommend any skill level to do the installation themselves.

On to performance. It does exactly what it says. The throttle response seems slightly quicker. The basic premise is that it alters the signal from the gas pedal and shows the ecu more throttle than is actually being depressed. The control unit is handy because you can choose one of 3 settings. Light off = the unit is not engaged and throttle is normal. Green light = a moderate increase in throttle signal. Red light = a big difference, with half throttle feeling more like 90%.

Uses can be varied. The red light setting is a little much. I don’t know that I would use it for anything but drag racing. The throttle is very touchy and it’s somewhat hard to control your RPM’s during normal driving. In auto-x it was hard to feather the throttle through tight sections and slaloms. The green setting was much better suited for auto-x. It let you get into WOT slightly faster, and rev matching (heel toe) was easier. I don’t know about others, but the pedals in the X feel slightly too far apart for me and sometimes I don’t get a good blip of the throttle. The green setting allowed for less pressure to get the RPM’s up. It was also controllable for feathering.

Overall I was satisfied with the performance of the Sprint Booster unit. Like I said before, it does exactly what it claims. Is it worth the money? That depends on how much you value very slight performance advantages. I enjoy the unit and would consider purchasing one for the right money. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, I will check back and answer when I can.

Jim

03evo8gsr Jun 11, 2011 10:55 PM

nice, i've been wanting to get one of these for my x mr.